TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1960 23 Window Deluxe restoration Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
lumber-baron Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:27 am

I am going to post the progress on this one in the hopes that I can get some pointers and suggestions along the way. Just bought a rotisserie for it yesterday, it will need some modifications. First question: where should the center of gravity be?

Spitty1974 Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:37 am

Nice bus! Just curious what did you pay for your used rotisserie? I am looking to by a used one.
Thanks

lumber-baron Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:50 am

I paid $350 for it, the guy I bought it from had built it for a Torino so it's definitely strong enough.

MrBusCo Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:53 am

Pretty sure the CG is right around the bottom of the emblem, from what I have read in the rotisserie thread.

Jerry Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:30 pm

The Deluxe looks like a nice pallet to start with! Looks nice & dry from here. If you would like me to take a few pics of the brackets I made for my rotisserie, let me know.
This one looks like it'll be a snap Pete, I'll be following this one.
Thanks for sharing your progress.

lumber-baron Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:06 am

Jerry, that would be greatly appreciated. this one does have some rust thru in the bottom of the doors, RF roof/gutter, floors, and right side rocker. I'm allready feeling a painful draining sensation in my wallet :lol: :roll:

type241 Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:08 am

Are you painting this bus??? If so I have better doors for you.

Jerry Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:00 pm

I'll post some pics tomorrow...
The only negative I can say about my rotisserie is it isnt possible to mock up the beam & transaxle. Hopefully by the time I get to that part, my friends will drive up to help me out.
:wink:

ducatis Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:26 pm

Caught my eye, especially the single color, very cool on a deluxe.

Was this one of those rare SK paint codes?

Great looking bus, good luck with the rebuild....

UZI Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:29 pm

ducatis wrote: Caught my eye, especially the single color. Was this one of those rare SK paint codes?

i think the white is just worn off.

ducatis Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:35 pm

You are probably right,

i'm always researching Samba's and a waiting for that day someone finds can original all SWR! :-)

zuggbug Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:20 am

Jerry wrote: I'll post some pics tomorrow...
The only negative I can say about my rotisserie is it isnt possible to mock up the beam & transaxle. Hopefully by the time I get to that part, my friends will drive up to help me out.
:wink:

just say when my friend.

lumber-baron Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:18 am

UZI wrote: ducatis wrote: Caught my eye, especially the single color. Was this one of those rare SK paint codes?

i think the white is just worn off.

UZI is right - it just faded away

OxonPhil Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:25 am

Any more pics please ???

What are your plans for her ???

Will you retain as a bus ??

I also have a '60 23 window (now converted into a camper).

Let me know if you need any pics of parts etc......

Cheers,

Phil. :D

type241 Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:51 am

If this bus is "RESTORED" please find a good home to any OG interior pieces that might be usable. Absolutely one of the hardest interiors to piece together.

Jerry Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:17 pm

Here is a few pics Pete, I hope this helps you a bit.
As you can see from the pics I have 3 bolts in each side of the beam & 2 in the back. When I mocked up the flat stock for the rear, I simply placed the springplate cover on it to mark hole centers. Mirror imaging was a snap once I had one built to my liking.
Fwiw, my bus is not "gravity centered" whatsoever but it does not bother me at all. My cieling wouldn't allow it.
It's also sorta tough to do any bodywork on the nose at this point, I have the tube which runs under the bus a little shorter than it really should be. When it comes to replacing the lower 6 & inner & outer valance, I'll nudge it back a little.

[/img]

lumber-baron Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:50 am

Thanks Jerry.
Got all the glass out this weekend

Vintagespeed Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:31 am

nice find

ouch those gutters and roof parts need serious surgery, but it can be done.

my friend did 3 busses with roofs like that and had parts made and it turned out great!

good luck, it's worth it!

lumber-baron Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:25 pm

So, i got the floors - what was left of them - cut out and the frame appears pretty solid. need to replace RF outrigger and jack point, inner and outer cargo side rocker, lower bulkhead, lower rear cargo wall, lower doglegs, and some of the belly pans. Fortunately the left rocker is really solid.

exciter Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:42 pm

Super cool bus and looks like youve got her handled!!!!! 8)