TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Front caliper rebuild...
GreggK Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:34 pm

Hello, Has anyone had experience replacing the o-ring and dush cover (the rubber parts around the piston)on the front brake calipers? I see some instruction in the Bently but was loooking to hear another example. Thanks GreggK

Vanagon Nut Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:36 pm

Searching for rotor info, stumbled on a rebuild how to here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...mp;start=0

This appears to be for the '86+ brakes though.

Edit: Dang. Not the post I was looking for. Sorry.

Neil.

GreggK Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:51 pm

Wow that was aquick reply. Exactaly what I wanted to see. Thanks GreggK

IdahoDoug Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:50 am

Gregg,

The most difficult part may/will be getting the pistons out of the calipers. Rather than struggle with it, I took it to a buddy's shop where they pop calipers out with air all day long. Took 4 minutes of his time. Be sure they are smart enough to know to put a rag or other shock absorbing material (wood, etc) where the piston will rocket out to stop it.

DougM

Jake de Villiers Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:50 pm

IdahoDoug wrote: Gregg,

The most difficult part may/will be getting the pistons out of the calipers. Rather than struggle with it, I took it to a buddy's shop where they pop calipers out with air all day long. Took 4 minutes of his time. Be sure they are smart enough to know to put a rag or other shock absorbing material (wood, etc) where the piston will rocket out to stop it.

DougM

Its not difficult at all, Doug. If you put some pressure on the brake pedal with the caliper dangling from the brake hose, the piston pops out! ;)

IdahoDoug Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:12 pm

Yeah, I tried that but this Syncro had not moved in some 8 years and the pistons were pretty restricted. I was able to do it on the LandCruiser which has dual pistons by using a block of wood to "brake pedal press" them out. So good point - a daily driver might play nice, eh?

DougM

JBH Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:52 pm

I know this is an old thread, but..... if your pistons are stuck, air isn't your friend. Your grease-gun is. :D Unscrew the end of your gun that goes over the zerk fitting. It's about an inch or so long. The threads that are left are a perfect match for brake line point on your caliper. Screw the grease-gun into the caliper threads, and start pumping. The grease will force the piston right out with total control. Clean-up is much easier than you think, and you don't have to worry about compressed air making a missile out of your piston.

IdahoDoug Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:43 pm

That's a good idea. Reminds me I bought a caliper rebuild kit with my last Van Cafe order and eventually I have to get it done on this new van as well...

Merian Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:42 am

grease = cleanup required

air = medical attn required if you don't do it right

on car = forethought required

a block of wood will help you decide which to choose

Weezyissuperfast Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:13 am

The problem I came up against when attempting this job was what to do about the surface of the piston. It was clearly pitted from corrosion and was not going to be acceptable. I could have sanded them down and polished them up, but I was worried they would be undersized for the seals. I ended up just buying a set of remanufactured calipers because I was under a time crunch (self-imposed). Anyone have thoughts on getting the pistons coated or otherwise to bring them back to spec?

Merian Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:45 am

replace them

Weezyissuperfast Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:31 pm

Wow, I just searched for them and voila! :oops: I had no idea that they were available separately. Thanks for that. I just assumed that they would not be available independent of the calipers and didn't think to search.

Butcher Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:18 am

The biggest issue [other than not doing it right] is when you get it apart and the piston is damaged. ANY pitting is cause for the piston to be replaced. Add that time to the job. So, if you need to be on the road tomorrow, then it may be best to have plan 'B' ready to go.

Most rebuilt calipers are fairly cheap. That may be the best option. Don't like the cheap Chinese junk? Buy the rebuilt ones and replace the seals yourself.