TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1972 Squareback Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Luke. Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:37 am

SORRY! PICTURES DIDNT WORK.
ILL FIX IT THIS AFTERNOON.

Nothing too special, but my first aircooled and first restoration project so I'll be learning a lot along the way.
I've started a build thread on a local site as well so hopefully I'll be motivated to work on it in all of my free time.

Day I got it.

Where he will sit for a while.

Got to do a few little things before work today.

Pulled the fenders off.  

Hopefully get some real progress this weekend.

Parts car acquired.

She's a beauty.

Scrapping everything except for the plate.

A lot of progress tonight.
Got under the car. Got to looking and realized that pulling the rear out was way easier than pulling individual pieces. So a few bolts later and we had this. [img width=800 height=600]http://img.tapatalk.com/a693788f-21cc-f0e9.jpg[/img]

Then started it on the ground to verify it ran.

Ted approved.

We then decided to take a break and fit some wheels. So I used a friends m-parallels at my house so I borrowed them for a picture or two.

Before.

After.

I'll try to keep it updated as much as possible.
School just started back, and work is going to get a little more demanding with the holidays coming up.
But I'll make time for it.

squaretobehip Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:25 am

Glad you fixed it. :lol:

Luke. Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:36 am

Thanks, I thought it would probably fix it with the resizing taken out.
:D

Tram Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:24 pm

That looks like a Kasan Red car. Kasan Red was a '72 only color and is rare. :shock:

FergU Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:08 pm

Not sure if you have realized this or not, but your parts car and the '72 are different series. Some parts will be interchangeable, but not a lot.

Luke. Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:16 pm

FergU wrote: Not sure if you have realized this or not, but your parts car and the '72 are different series. Some parts will be interchangeable, but not a lot.
Yea. I understand that a lot of it can't be used. Like hood and front and such.

I'm using the whole rear end though as well as the pop out windows and such.
Not sure what else.
The parts car is super rusted out though so I don't want too much out of it.
The engine ran though so I basically bought it for that.

Tram wrote: That looks like a Kasan Red car. Kasan Red was a '72 only color and is rare. :shock:
How would I go about checking this.
Had plans for another color, but if it's a rare color I might try to respray it that color. I really don't like red though lol.

Luke. Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:19 pm

Ok. Got some more work done tonight with the help of Nick and Brennan.

Dirty engine.

A little cleaner.
Not too worried about it looking nice for now. Plan to build a engine out of the other and will make it look nice.

Both rears.

Making measurements for the access plate.

Access plate cut.
Measurements for the cutting of parts car.

Cutting the manual shift rod bracket out of the parts car.

Gone.

Just what I needed.

The two shift rods together.

Then we decided to take a break and cook some dinner.
This is a vw center cap under the charcoal to catch it from going out the bottom. Thought it looked cool.

Hopefully I'll get some more work done this weekend or early next week and then the swap will be done and then I need to order interior parts and paint.

Luke. Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:35 am

Update on the squareback.

Since school started back and I've been working more I haven't gotten a lot done.
I got it tore apart a few weeks ago

and then it's just sort of sat in my garage until yesterday.

I bought some new allen head bolts and some washers. The flathead screws are terrible.

And then I got back to work.

Not much to see just got most of it put back together. Still needs exhaust, a belt, some plugs and wires, change the oil and a few things to be complete.
Maybe I'll get some time this weekend.

tricken Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:51 am

nice work, me and you are in the same boat on a total tear down cant wait to see it come alive.

nice ronal bears i had a set back in the day

Luke. Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:28 pm

Got some stuff bolted back up today with Brennan.

Needs some wires and gas lines. Bleed the brakes, battery. Etc etc. but getting there. Hope to get it running then drive to get it painted before it gets too cold.

Mike Fisher Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:40 am

Looks like you should finish cutting the rear apron off underneath and beat it back into shape while it is off of the car. Then weld it back on. :-k

Yooyenkoo Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:33 am

Where'd the fan housing go? Need that or it won't get the air the engine needs from the air inlets.

Luke. Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:03 pm

Yooyenkoo wrote: Where'd the fan housing go? Need that or it won't get the air the engine needs from the air inlets.

I have it, just painted it and haven't put it on yet since I need to replace the belt, have plugs and wires, waiting on a shipment that should come in on friday.

Luke. Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:03 pm

Mike Fisher wrote: Looks like you should finish cutting the rear apron off underneath and beat it back into shape while it is off of the car. Then weld it back on. :-k
Plan on doing that. or something along those lines.

Luke. Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:28 pm

Received wheels today for the squareback.
Also got all of the immediate parts that I needed.
Shift rod couplers and such.

1. Install belt housing.
2. Need to change the oil.
3. Spark plugs.
4. Install pedal cluster.
5. Shift rod.
6. Install Bowden tube.
7. Finish connecting clutch cable.
8. Finish manual conversion. (weld shifter top)

Should be able to try to move the car under its own will before the weekend.
Fingers crossed.

Luke. Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:06 pm

Got a little work done yesterday.
Welded in the manual piece.

Got fuel lines ran, fan housing on, wiring  sorted.

Installed new parking/Emergency brake lines.

Tried to start last night, but ran into a wiring issue.
Once the car starts ill be picking a paint color and starting body work.
A few more things to iron out before then.

blankmange Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:10 pm

Luke. wrote: Got fuel lines ran, fan housing on, wiring  sorted.

anybody mention that fuel filter yet?

if not, I'll say it: move that plastic filter out of the engine bay before it immolates your car....

oxsign Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:13 pm

Yeah, it's best to put it behind the tin in case it springs a leak it wont be on the engine and cause a fire. Otherwise, it's coming along great. 8)

Luke. Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:17 pm

oxsign wrote: Yeah, it's best to put it behind the tin in case it springs a leak it wont be on the engine and cause a fire. Otherwise, it's coming along great. 8)

Thanks for the tip, I'll get it moved.

I have a question for anyone that might can help, I plugged a battery up and decided to try and give it a go the other night. The only thing that was getting power was the left gauge in the dash. That would light up when I would turn the key but I was getting no power to the back of the car.
Nothing to the starter at all when I would turn the key. I checked with a multimeter a few of the wires and got nothing.
I'm staring at the wiring diagram trying to find what could be the problem, I think I'll go to kinkos and get this printed on a large piece and laminated and hang it in the garage so I can see all of it at once, but any help or ideas would be appreciated.

This car originally was a FI, so there are a few wires that I don't think I'll need, as well as this car was an automatic, now manual trans. Does this mean I need to do something for where the starter cutout switch (not sure what its called) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al8Tvp0elGg

Thanks in advance.

Bobnotch Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:33 pm

Luke. wrote:
This car originally was a FI, so there are a few wires that I don't think I'll need, as well as this car was an automatic, now manual trans. Does this mean I need to do something for where the starter cutout switch (not sure what its called) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al8Tvp0elGg

Thanks in advance.

When you swapped out the AT shifter, did you splice the big red wire with a black stripe back together? If not, that's your problem. If you did splice it, check at the starter, to see IF it's still attached.