TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 63 Patina project Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
DiggerD Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:43 pm

I'm sure some of you saw the wrecked 65 that James was parting out recently that was found in a chicken house. Well here is the other half of the story....

Got a call last weekend about two old beetles in a chicken house and a stash of misc parts. The story was, there were two beetles, a 65 and a 63. Both were one owner cars, the 65 had been rolled in an accident in 1971 and put into the barn. The 63 had been driven up to 92, then put in the barn where it has sat since then. Needless to say I was def interested, and called James to see if he wanted in on the deal. We went over and checked out both cars and a quick look at the parts. An offer was made and accepted, we went back home and got some tools and a tow bar, went back and got to work on moving them from where they had sat for all those years. We were able to get a full set of tires to hold air between the two and pulled them home. Suprisingly both towed fine without any trouble other than the drums on the 65 getting a little hot on the trip. Once both were safely home, we went back and loaded a truck-full of misc parts. All this took about 4 hours I think! As some of you know, the 65 was parted out and gave new life to alot of other cars including the 63. The 63 will be my winter project and hopefully be on the road by next spring. Anyway this thread will document the build up as it progresses thru the year.

Here are some pics of the initial clean-up. I will post the pics of the extraction from the chicken house as soon as I figure out how the get them off my I-phone. :oops:

Original stale-air 40 horse!

Original back seat was taken out and stored when the car was first bought. Should clean up nice! ;)

A nice bonus.....

More to come.......

flatNbug Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:40 pm

nice start cant wait to see the out come (light rub down and some clear?)

Rich's 50 Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:21 pm

8)

Texas1960 Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:52 pm

Heck yeah dude! Looks like a nice start! Download the photobucket app for your Iphone. You can upload the photos from your phone straight to photobuckets website. Super easy.

SkooobaSteve Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:36 am

Just hit that thing up with some CLR and get to cruising nice.

50ate Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:48 am

Man that is gonna be a sweet car...Id skip out on the clear tho.. it wont really do much for pearl white.. like skim says id CLR it and get it sound and then drive it.. that interior is awesome.. God im a sucker for red interior, best interior color ever

DiggerD Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:00 pm

Started working it down with CLR today. Not alot of original pearl white under there, but I am taking it slow until I decide at what stage I should leave it.

tkelley Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:17 pm

Very cool...

Tom

Culito Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:55 pm

Rad!!!

SirTimTIm Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:05 pm

that is an amazing work of nature right there...

DONGKG Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:59 am

Cool one...

OvalinAz Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:36 am

JonnyCakes wrote:

Perfect!

62ItalianRagtop Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:43 am

Amazing :shock:
If it is a stale air, it is a model year 62 ! or I'm wrong ?

Buscowboy Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:25 pm

WOW..! Love the look, just shoot a good few coats of clear over that now.
Please keep the posts coming.

grifspop Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:32 pm

Awesome patina!! Can't fake that :D

DiggerD Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:08 am

62ItalianRagtop wrote: Amazing :shock:
If it is a stale air, it is a model year 62 ! or I'm wrong ?

It is early 63, before the mid-year change to the fresh air setup.

sixfootdan Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:49 am

Looks pretty solid.

62ItalianRagtop Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:10 am

Make other pictures of details please

DiggerD Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:08 pm

Moved the 63 down to the garage today. Pulled off the crusty running boards and only broke one bolt. The passenger side has some rust around the jack point that will need to be fixed, but the driver side was very solid. Fitted the rear seat back in, mainly to just get it out of the way and did some more cleaning on the interior and dash. Started cleaning on the engine and it appears that the engine is not the original after all. The engine code puts it as a September 61 engine so that makes more sense that it is stale air in a 63. Here's a few pics from today...

DiggerD Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:12 pm

Started the clean up of the trunk. Underneath the accumilated 20 years of mouse funk it is cleaning up pretty good. Tank is out and will go off to be boiled out and re-lined this weekend. Thinking about putting a battery to it this weekend and see if the ole engine will fire up. It will spin by hand pretty easy and has compression, so we will see.....

Progress pics: