TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1959 356A wipers
roy mawbey Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:22 am

Below are several pics of my original? 1959 RHD 356A wipers. I would like to know first of all if anyone else has the same style as these. I know they
are at least 46 years old. The version on the piece of wood I bought in error thinking it was 356A but think its for a T5.

The hook on the end of the arm is much smaller than repro items and mine does not have the rubber insert that fixes into the hook on repro items.

My wiper blade has a 4mm diameter plastic part that the wiper arm clips onto. One of these plastic parts cracked and broke off the supporting 2mm diameter pin which is rivited on the blade assembly. I made a repair but its hard to know how long that would last.

Any ideas on replacements or a good repair? ( I have replaced some years ago the rubber blades okay )

Roy

roy mawbey Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:27 am

Missed out the photo of my original wiper arm

Is this one original 59A.

Roy

MMW Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:56 am

These are what came on my car #106106, production date 12-12 1958.

Maybe someone in the know could give a wiper identification lesson?

roy mawbey Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:27 am

Mic,

I think you have the very sought after and very expensive now 'pickle fork'
wipers. They were on 58 and probably early 59 'A' cars. My wiper motor is definately SWF not Bosch and I will take off the wiper arm latwer to see if its stamped SWF anywhere.

The fact they must have had their supplier make smaller quantities of RHD version arms might have a bearing on the matter.

Just don't throw your wipers away Mic :lol:

Roy

MMW Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:07 am

http://www.stoddard.com/shop/shopdisplayproducts.a...sher+Parts

Here is a link to Stoddards wiper page. It shows three different types. It does not show the "pickle fork" version though.

Barry Brisco Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:49 am

I am not aware of any repros available of the pickle fork style.

The question of which wiper styles went on which models is endlessly debated, and I claim no expertise in that area. I suspect that the reality is that Porsche sometimes used more than one type during a specific model run; they used whatever was available and didn't care about being 100% consistent.

roy mawbey Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:04 am

I had a reply from Justin Rio as I posted my question also on his forum. Justin asked the qestion to one of his friends and showed him my photos.

He advised the wiper arms and blades are 'early internal hook in slot style Bosch' arms and correct for 1959 A cars. He also advised the version I show on the piece of wood are T5 style repros. Confirmed also the RHD arms are different to the LHD versions.

I reckon in 59 the factory decided to go Bosch for the T5 in September that year. . Possibly they had SWF motor assemblies (as on my car) still on stock onto which Bosch arms would fit. I have no reason to think my wiper arms are not original so it seems I have a Bosch / SWF mix.

I would still like to know if anyone else has these on RHD 59 cars though.

Never ever seen a repro of the pickle fork thats why they are valuable I guess.

Roy

prs Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:51 pm

Here is a photograph showing the correct wiper arms and blades (SWF) for a 1959 Porsche 356 A.

Ivan Fuller Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:46 pm

Yes they are the "pickle fork" wipers.

My understanding is as Barry mentions.

The picklefork was used '58-59 years, maybe not necessarily on every car produced, so it seems you could be correct in having either style. Its possible for a time they were exclusive but who knows.

I do not think it is anything to do with RHD/LHD.

Obviously they wern't a roaring success and were quickly superceeded and most have been replaced over the years.

This does make them exceedingly rare. The arms seem seem to come up occasionally but blades are more of a challenge - bordering on impossible.

Most people doing a top end restoration are looking for these - maybe just to be sure.

I am not aware of any repros being made which surprises me based on the rarity.

Anyway, if anyone reading has spare blades or complete units please PM me. Its one of the few things I need to complete my project.

roy mawbey Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:22 am

PRS,

Nice photos, these are exactly the type on my car. I have also received now info from a people on DDK with RHD 59 cars that also have the same versions as mine.
I looked for but didn't remove the arms just to see if I could find a Bosch or SWF logo but didn't find one.

Ivan, the only difference I see in the arm between LHD and RHD drive is the short angle on the end that clips into the blade. One is cranked one way the other to the opposing side.

To replace the plastic type runner ( brg)the hook clips onto means removing the dome headed rivit assembly on the blade arm. I am a bit worried about doing that and getting it right. I might try to see if any blades come up for sale but I am not holding my breath.

Mic, see I am not the only one who knows your pickle forks are worth a few bob. ( English expression, for shilling or nowdays around 5 pence) :roll:

Roy

Barry Brisco Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:29 pm

prs wrote: Here is a photograph showing the correct wiper arms and blades (SWF) for a 1959 Porsche 356 A.
That is what I have on my model year 59 A that was built in November 1958. But I have no idea if the wiper arms on my car are original to the car or not, as I've only owned it since 2005.

Ivan Fuller Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:52 am

Roy,

You would be correct with the arms being cranked the opposite to LHD ones. I'd expect that the wipers also park on the opposite side to LHD ??

Of interest I went through a similar interesting exercise on my 1954 RHD beetle. I had some NOS arms from the US and discovered the same thing - cranked the other way. Easy enough to change. Then I had to rebuild the motor assembly. Put it all back together and suddenly the wipers didnt park nicely. Hmmm. Dug through old photographs of RHD cars and it turns out they all park on the opposite side to LHD cars - same motor but its possible to assemble it to park on either side.

Now the really interesting twist to this story is that there is a legal requiremnet in New Zealand and I am sure in many countries that dictate which side the wipers park on. I found this out when doing a RHD conversion on a 928 Porsche a few years ago - wouldnt pass the certification and I had to instal a factory RHD wiper assembly. I supect this is to do with the sweep of the blades but dont know for sure. What does seem certain is that this has been a consideration for nearly 60years at least.

roy mawbey Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:49 am

Yes Ivan, the RHD wipers do park on the opposite side to LHD cars.

Roy

foamcar Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:27 pm

Don't have a 59, but just saw these on ebay for anyone looking:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-356-Wiper-Arms-/25...mp;vxp=mtr

Hopefully they are "correct".

Phil Planck

roy mawbey Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:27 am

Phil,

Those arms are the same version as mine. I wish they had been the blade assembly thats the part I would like. Mine works, but in a thunderstorm I wonder if my repair to the plastic bearing the hook clips onto would fail. Mind you, I never normally end up driving it in the rain I just hate to see formulation of iron oxide :(

Roy

longlive356 Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:05 pm

yesterday I just saw a pair of wipers topping $1,300 on ebay. they might have been nos for a preA. So I was left with this on my A, wipers stripped but this piece has a nut on it. Is the nut left from the inside of a convt D wiper? Any help would be greatly appreciated nothing to go on but limited resto book showing outside view.

well by the close up look at this the arm is the only thing missing which means i need this part for the other arm to attach to. :shock:

EverettB Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:52 pm

I used to have a VW that had those on it.
I believe it was an add-on you could buy back in the day so that you could use modern-type wiper arms on your early wiper shafts.
Screw those fittings on and secure with allen wrench, then install regular later wiper arms and blades as a permanent upgrade.

fcampbell356 Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:39 pm

This is the answer from USA suppliers Annco and Trico to convert to domestic style wiper arms and blade.
Was a poor replacement for the orginal equipment wipers. Never did sell very well and went away.
Frank