TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What should I know before I baja a '77's?
Fourtrax Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:18 pm

Hi, I've been reading everything I can about baja's. Originally I settled on 69-71, but in Indiana I'm learning that can be limiting. I have a line on a '77 and other than knowing very few '77's were made compared to other years, I don't know much.

I do know that I want more than just the baja look. I want a very capable off road baja that I'll also drive daily. I'm at a place in life where I can afford this project and want to do it right. I just don't have an ounce of VW experience and need all the input I can get.

I've read Hibbards book cover to cover.

Anything about the '77 I should know??

Thanks for all input.

BugZyla.com Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:57 pm

Just make sure its a standard beetle and not a super beetle. A standard will have an almost flat windshield, and a super will have a wrap around windshield.

Other than that, how are the emissions laws in your state? If you have none then no worries. If its like AZ then the 74 and newer have to run an EGR valve and Catalytic converter.

Fourtrax Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:05 pm

Thanks for the info. That 77 deal fell through. The guy wanted more than I could afford. I am on to a 69 now. It's not running and has lots of rust. I am fairly excited about it. 69-71 are the years I am really interested in for my Baja project. This car is a 69 and it's 98% complete. It would be a body off full restoration starting with the pan.

Wish me luck.

wbrown45 Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:39 pm

Fourtrax wrote: Thanks for the info. That 77 deal fell through. The guy wanted more than I could afford. I am on to a 69 now. It's not running and has lots of rust. I am fairly excited about it. 69-71 are the years I am really interested in for my Baja project. This car is a 69 and it's 98% complete. It would be a body off full restoration starting with the pan.

Wish me luck. Not quite sure why you would limit your desires to those 3 years. All standard bugs after '69 (in the U.S.) have IRS. and would serve nicely with few modifications for a baja seeing light to medium duty off-roading, and street driving. You might want to consider waiting for a less rusty car to baja. Finding a car already modified into a baja would be money ahead for you with the cost of fiberglass kits, and wheels, etc. these days. Good luck!

Fourtrax Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:25 pm

Yes, I know, I'm not limiting myself and would be all over any year actually. I would prefer 69-71 only because I like those dashboards. I know, silly.... But I prefer those. Although, as stated, any year I'd jump on.

Looked at the 69 tonight. It's rough and doesn't run. Motor is a single port and looks to be all original. It does turn over and engine oil looked clean. It is rusted more than I want, but I planned a full body off restore and all new pans. It also has a factory sunroof. I liked that and it opened and closed easily. Pretty neat really.

Mal evolent Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:41 pm

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search...ch_forum=9

wbrown45 Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:50 am

Fourtrax wrote: Yes, I know, I'm not limiting myself and would be all over any year actually. I would prefer 69-71 only because I like those dashboards. I know, silly.... But I prefer those. Although, as stated, any year I'd jump on.

Looked at the 69 tonight. It's rough and doesn't run. Motor is a single port and looks to be all original. It does turn over and engine oil looked clean. It is rusted more than I want, but I planned a full body off restore and all new pans. It also has a factory sunroof. I liked that and it opened and closed easily. Pretty neat really.
I understand your method, and wish you the best!

Fourtrax Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:16 pm

Well I got the 69!!! It was pouring rain and we had to winch it up on the trailer. The pan is in tons better shape than I thought. Battery tray is toast, rusted clear through. It's gonna be several days before I get it cleaned out. I'm fairly confident I can get it running quickly.

There is more rust in the body than I originally thought. I can't find any bondo, hooray. I can deal with it.

The car is 98% or more original. Has a plate that says 2009, so I know it was running fairly recently.

I'm stoked. Motor and brakes first. [/img]

Mal evolent Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:44 am

Quote: I'm fairly confident I can get it running quickly.

snicker. snort. chortle. guffaw. crazed maniacal laughter...

Fourtrax Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:22 pm

Snort, giggle, chuckle, guffaw.....

Hooked up a battery..... 30 min.

Removed fuel line to carb and the air filter. .. 30 min.

Sorted out an electrical problem... 2.5 hrs.

Car runs like a top!! No smoke, idles perfect.

Snort, giggle, chuckle, guffaw....

wbrown45 Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:09 pm

Fourtrax wrote: Snort, giggle, chuckle, guffaw.....

Hooked up a battery..... 30 min.

Removed fuel line to carb and the air filter. .. 30 min.

Sorted out an electrical problem... 2.5 hrs.

Car runs like a top!! No smoke, idles perfect.

Snort, giggle, chuckle, guffaw....
Last laugh to you! :D So the adventure begins.

Fourtrax Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:31 am

Gonna try and post a pic.

Hope that's it!! Ain't she a beauty!!!

Fourtrax Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:16 am

Last laugh to you, had to give up on the 69. It has been quite awhile since I posted.

So the update: Although the car ran like a top, I am confident I would have had a pile of FAIRY DUST after bead blasting. The more we inspected the more we discovered that rust can actually take the shape of an existing vehicle, lol. I sold the car to another guy that didn't mind all the rust, and actually like it. I broke even not counting my time.

Wife went to nursing school, all projects took a back seat, including competitive shooting. Now I am dreaming agian.

Damn Baja bug bites hard.

Mal evolent Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:55 am

that would be the baja bug bug that bites hard.

when I first got into VWs you could pick up a healthy 1600 dual port anywhere for $300. run your 1200 into the ground and upgrade for less than the cost of repair. Hot VWs had ads showing rows of pallets of engines stacked as high as a full grown man, $300 each + delivery.

you could buy really nice 6 way power seats from the junkyard cheap, because they came out of turbo equipped cars and they had blood on them.

now you find VWs everywhere, cheap because they have no engines.