TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: mounting an mTDi ALH at 50 deg Goto page 1, 2  Next
kd4yor Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:10 am

what changes are required to the engine?

deelectrify
MTDi pump
oil pan mods?
please help compile a list

J Charlton Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:24 am

A couple of things that you can check for yourself.
1. Is the bolt pattern - engine block to tranny - the same for the ALH as it is for eg the AHU? If not, you will need an adapter plate to mate up with a vw van tranny. If it is, you can use a vw diesel van bellhousing, or diesel tranny.
2. Is the bolt pattern for the oil pan the same as it is for (eg again) the AHU. If not, its a real problem.

rubbachicken Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:49 am

i think there's a thread about this already, unless i've been dreaming, i thought i remember seeing a oil pan adapter

kd4yor Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:51 am

rubbachicken wrote: i think there's a thread about this already, unless i've been dreaming, i thought i remember seeing a oil pan adapter

there are several threads regarding ALH's in a Vanagon. There is NOT one thread compiling the required adaptation.

hans j Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:14 am

J Charlton wrote: A couple of things that you can check for yourself.
1. Is the bolt pattern - engine block to tranny - the same for the ALH as it is for eg the AHU? If not, you will need an adapter plate to mate up with a vw van tranny. If it is, you can use a vw diesel van bellhousing, or diesel tranny.
2. Is the bolt pattern for the oil pan the same as it is for (eg again) the AHU. If not, its a real problem.

1. yes

2. no, but people are getting around it. Search user Andybees for his conversion or look at the full thread on tdiclub.com in the conversion thread.

Andrew A. Libby Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:42 am

The big question to me is why would you want to do it in the first place? The AHU will fit without all the added headaches and produce the exact same power and efficiency as the ALH. The only functional benefit to the ALH is the VNT turbo and if going non-electronic that benefit is negated. Adding a standalone VNT is exactly as difficult to install on the AHU as the ALH. Going for a much more difficult install without ANY benefit doesn't make sense to me.

kd4yor Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:43 am

Andrew A. Libby wrote: The big question to me is why would you want to do it in the first place? The AHU will fit without all the added headaches and produce the exact same power and efficiency as the ALH. The only functional benefit to the ALH is the VNT turbo and if going non-electronic that benefit is negated. Adding a standalone VNT is exactly as difficult to install on the AHU as the ALH. Going for a much more difficult install without ANY benefit doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks to a careless driver during a rain storm. I posses a cost free ALH

Andrew A. Libby Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:48 am

I'd sell it and buy an AHU. You'll break even or even profit monetarily and the hassle of the exchange will be FAR outweighed by the drastically reduced hassle of the install.

Don't get me wrong, the ALH is an excellent engine. I own two of them and will actually be installing one in a vanagon before long. That install will be at 15, tho, and I'm only doing it because I was able to purchase the whole engine swap drive train and mounting bits as a unit making it basically a bolt-in affair.

kd4yor Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:27 am

seems like the biggest hassle is the oil pan.

4x4BNB Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:17 pm

Andrew A. Libby wrote: The big question to me is why would you want to do it in the first place? The AHU will fit without all the added headaches and produce the exact same power and efficiency as the ALH. The only functional benefit to the ALH is the VNT turbo and if going non-electronic that benefit is negated. Adding a standalone VNT is exactly as difficult to install on the AHU as the ALH. Going for a much more difficult install without ANY benefit doesn't make sense to me.

Fuel economy.....reliability?? theres two reasons :)

I'm having a mtdi alh installed in mine because I own an 03 Golf TDI n LOVE the fuel economy and reliability of the engine....

dubbified Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:45 pm

at Kermatdi.com there are chips, injectors, and hybrid turbos for that engine specifiucally.. I think they can push 400whp on them with those mods and some others.. not to mention Banks makes a sweet Propane over Diesel fogger plate... mm.

I'm definitely liking the Tdi idea..

Andrew A. Libby Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:05 am

4x4 BNB wrote: Andrew A. Libby wrote: Going for a much more difficult install without ANY benefit doesn't make sense to me.

Fuel economy.....reliability?? theres two reasons :)

I'm having a mtdi alh installed in mine because I own an 03 Golf TDI n LOVE the fuel economy and reliability of the engine....

The AHU and ALH are similarly reliable. Fuel economy = power/efficiency and I already mentioned both of those.

dubbified wrote: at Kermatdi.com there are chips, injectors, and hybrid turbos for that engine specifiucally.. I think they can push 400whp on them with those mods and some others.. not to mention Banks makes a sweet Propane over Diesel fogger plate... mm.

I'm definitely liking the Tdi idea..

ALL of the performance parts you mention that will work with an mTDI ALH will work with an mTDI AHU. The chips/tunes obviously won't.

There really is no functional difference between an mTDI AHU and an mTDI ALH except the fitment of the ALH is considerably more fabrication and even at 50 still results in the engine protruding above the engine lid.

I also love the TDI idea.

rsxsr Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:18 am

I am only familiar with the ALH install. Had I known the earlier TDI's at the time were direct fit, I would have used one instead, but did not know. My engine was low mileage that came on a pallet.

The engine block will bolt directly to the VW diesel bellhousing without modification to either. You loose two bolts that connected to the stock diesel oil pan. So far, that has not been an issue. The others including the two starter bolts seem plenty adequate for mating the two securely.

This is not a weekend project. Andy took about 3 years to complete his. There is a lot of custom fabrication that if you don't weld both aluminum and steel will waste a lot of time.

Mechanical or Electrical has really no bearing on the outcome in my opinion. Both have their advantages. mark

Andrew A. Libby Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:37 am

It took a weekend for me to swap out the 1.6TD and install my AHU mTDI.

The difference between mechanical vs. electronic engine management has a lot of bearing on this topic. Because the ONLY functional benefit to the ALH vs. the AHU lies in the use of the VNT turbo and the electronic control of it, if you are dispensing with the electronics you are negating any benefit to the ALH over the AHU and end up with only the downsides of the added fabrication. That said, that benefit is still not enough to inspire me to undertake an electronic ALH install because if one desires the benefit of the VNT, one can use the AFN electronics on an AHU and eliminate the added work of the ALH. Albeit the AFN parts are a bit more difficult to source on this side of the pond. As I mentioned before, a standalone VNT install is just as easy on an mTDI AHU as it is on an mTDI ALH.

I hope that none of what I'm saying comes off as any sort of a criticism of the ALH engines. They are awesome. They are just harder to fit into a vanagon.

4x4BNB Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:02 pm

The AHU and ALH are similarly reliable. Fuel economy = power/efficiency and I already mentioned both of those.

Yabut...I have had no history with the AHU engine just the ALH :)

hans j Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:12 pm

rsxsr wrote:
This is not a weekend project. Andy took about 3 years to complete his. There is a lot of custom fabrication that if you don't weld both aluminum and steel will waste a lot of time.

Definitely true! Mine will be done in a few days I hope, 2 months for me working after work and weekends on it. If I had planned more, had less rust to deal with and more money, it probably could have been a month.

And I am partial to the full ALH conversion since I see them almost everyday at work and been working on them for the last 12 years. I hardly ever see AHU diesels so I don't know as much about them.

Your results may vary!

BlackDogVan Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:28 pm

Do some research on tdi club, AHU/1Z computer can control VNT through N75 valve control wire.

Andrew A. Libby Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:00 pm

Right on. Good to know, just in case but I'll stick with the mTDI, anyway tho.

4x4BNB Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:53 am

So installing a mtdi pump on an ALH....how does one control the VNT? Or do I need to swap to another turbo...like a k14?

Thanks

J Charlton Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:27 am

Speak to Andrew - he has a terrific setup for vnt control