TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Deep rims? Page: 1, 2  Next
qoopwn Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:11 pm

I searched the forums but couldnt find anything on these on a type 3. I know most people..or mainly all wont like these rims on a type 3 but I think they might be kind of cool to try out? Do you think a 6' or 6.5' inch would work in the rear without rubbing? The look of them is kind of cool to me..
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1172589

vlad01 Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:39 pm

Yeah I love deep rims, in fact I can't stand normal "outty" rims, the rubber must always be further out than the rim to look good imho. 8)

Anyway, I have some modified standard rims which were ET10 which make them very deep, the other measurements was 14" diameter and 6" wide wearing 185 x 75 aspect ratio, and that was the only problem I had.....

slight rubbing on the inner front guard because they were stupidly tall tires.

Once they wore down a little the rubbing stopped and it fit perfect otherwise.

I can't think of any other rims the look deep apart from modified stock, some ET36 Fuchs look deep when 6-7" wide (don't know if they would fit though, 6" certainly should) , globe wire wheels look deep I recon. Can't think of any others atm. will list more if I remember them.

qoopwn Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:50 pm

vlad01 wrote: Yeah I love deep rims, in fact I can't stand normal "outty" rims, the rubber must always be further out than the rim to look good imho. 8)

Anyway, I have some modified standard rims which were ET10 which make them very deep, the other measurements was 14" diameter and 6" wide wearing 185 x 75 aspect ratio, and that was the only problem I had.....

slight rubbing on the inner front guard because they were stupidly tall tires.

Once they wore down a little the rubbing stopped and it fit perfect otherwise.

I can't think of any other rims the look deep apart from modified stock, some ET36 Fuchs look deep when 6-7" wide (don't know if they would fit though, 6" certainly should) , globe wire wheels look deep I recon. Can't think of any others atm. will list more if I remember them.

Awesome Vlad thank you, on the post it shows a 4 lug pattern but I'm assuming thats a bug or something? I dont know, all of those rims look like bug rims because they're all bugs in the pictures. As long as I can either ship him my rims and he can make them deep or maybe hes got some lying around..I wouldnt mind picking up a pair :P

vlad01 Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:16 am

4 lug is later models for both bug, ghia and type 3. Best bet is to pick something not too wildly deep. get one fitted with an apropriate tire and test fit is and check for clearance and scrapping on all position of the car, then work you way from that.

mine appeared to be the stock center dish with holden (aussie GM) outer belts welded on. It was common modification here in the 70's

these are the wire spoke ones I was talking about, they are deep compared to stock, any good for that you are looking for?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/14-Inch-4-Stud-Rim-Whee...27cb6d3319

W1K1 Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:04 am

I've looked at his before as well, i would be happy with the smooth early wide 5 in 5.5" so i can fit something bigger and have 4 straight rims.
I've not seen any t3 wheels done by him before.

Bobnotch Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:26 am

qoopwn wrote: I searched the forums but couldnt find anything on these on a type 3. I know most people..or mainly all wont like these rims on a type 3 but I think they might be kind of cool to try out? Do you think a 6' or 6.5' inch would work in the rear without rubbing? The look of them is kind of cool to me..
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1172589

You might want to have a look at this post by John Jaranson, before you order up a set. He did some research on rims a while back (this is in the FAQ at the top of the forum page).
Here it is again....

OK, I did a little digging around on the web and in my CIP catalog and came up with some interesting numbers.

First, lets talk tire sizes. I made one assumption that our stock tire aspect ratio is 80%. We have discussed this before with 80%, 83%, and 85% as possible answers. I don't ever remember coming to a confident answer as to which was right. So for the sake of comparison I picked 80%. I have also ignored that fact the all tires bulge out some and am only comparing the tread width. So here we go.....

Tire Diameter Width Comments
165/80R15 25.4" (645mm) 6.5" (165mm) Stock tire size
185/65R15 24.5" (622mm) 7.3" (185mm) Jordan Wilks tire size
195/50R15 22.7" (576mm) 7.7" (195mm) Common aftermarket tire
195/55R15 23.5" (596mm) 7.7" (195mm) My front tire size
205/55R16 24.9" (632mm) 8.1" (205mm) My rear tire size

As you can see Jordan's tires are a full inch bigger in diameter and nearly as wide as my front tires. Still seems like they would be ok until you look at the wheels. I looked through my CIP catalog, which fortunately lists backspacing for most of the wheels they sell. I have made an assumption that the difference between the bead width and maximum width of the wheel is 1 inch since this is important in converting from backspacing to the more useful offset. This is where it gets more interesting....

Wheel Diameter Bead Width Offset Backspacing Frontspacing

Stock Type 3 15" 4-1/2" 1.8" (46mm) 4.56" (116mm) 0.95" (24mm)
EMPI 5-spoke 15" 5- 1/2" 0.44" (11mm) 3.7" (94mm) 2.8" (71mm)
EMPI 8-spoke 15" 5-1/2" 0.75"(19mm) 4.0" (102mm) 2.5" (64mm)
Chrome VW 15" 4-1/2" 1.8" (46mm) 4.5" (114mm) 1.0" (25mm)
Chrome VW 15" 5-1/2" 1.0" (25mm) 4.3" (108mm) 2.2" (56mm)
AR Aero 15" 7" 1.6" (40mm) 5.6"(142mm) 2.4" (61mm)
AR Aero 16" 7" 1.7" (42mm) 5.6" (142mm) 2.4" (61mm)

So if you look at the frontspacing (a term I made up to describe the distance from the mounting face of the wheel to the outside wheel lip (frontspacing + backspacing = beadwidth + 1")), the EMPI 5-spoke and 8-spoke both stick out more than the 7" wide rims that I have on Sophy! The 5-spoke sticks out nearly 2" more than the stock Type 3 wheel! Doesn't surprise me that you are getting fender rub with the nearly 1" wider tire moved outward nearly 2" and being lowered 2 notches.

Offset is important and most of the aftermarket VW wheels are not going to be right for a Type 3. That being said it looks like the Chrome 4-1/2" VW wheels are actually type 3 wheels! Of course that assumes that CIP did not make a typo in their catalog. I would be leary and call there tech support and have them measure one before ordering. Anyone have first hand experience with the aftermarket chrome 4-1/2" VW wheels? Are they really 46mm offset?

qoopwn Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:34 pm

Once again thank you Bob, your help is appreciated. I need to get my knowledge up about rims and stuff as I'm not too sure what "offset" means..I'll just ask my dad when he gets home. But thank you Bob this information will be great.

vlad01 Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:59 pm

here you go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offset_%28wheel%29

qoopwn Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:22 am

vlad01 wrote: here you go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offset_%28wheel%29

Thanks Vlad..that seems pretty simple..haha. :oops:

Mike Fisher Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:02 pm

They are good looking wheels, but I think I would stick to 6" wide if you want to lower it. I had to Raise my '67 square one inner spline to run these 7X15 EMPI wheels. Pull a rear wheel off and get out your tape measure & tire calculator to know for Certain. Since yours would be custom made you could fit 7" wide, but shallow dish.

qoopwn Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:48 pm

Mike Fisher wrote: They are good looking wheels, but I think I would stick to 6" wide if you want to lower it. I had to Raise my '67 square one inner spline to run these 7X15 EMPI wheels. Pull a rear wheel off and get out your tape measure & tire calculator to know for Certain. Since yours would be custom made you could fit 7" wide, but shallow dish.

I was thinking 6" would be the best as you were saying Mike. With Swing Axle rear ends is the camber going to be substantially different than the IRS rear end when it is lowered?

qoopwn Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:16 pm

While on my many wonders through the internet i seemed to have stumbled acrss a fastback with stock, DEEP rims? Looks like on all 4s as well. These look around 5.5 or 6 inches deep, what do you all think?

RafCarre12 Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:38 am

15x8 et20 with 185-55 15's. The wide look is easily accomplished. It's just a matter of doing your homework.

No rubbing after rolling the fenders. :)

Bobnotch Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:19 am

RafCarre12 wrote: 15x8 et20 with 185-55 15's. The wide look is easily accomplished. It's just a matter of doing your homework.

Man you've done a great job of "deSharking" that car. Looks great. 8)

qoopwn Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:27 pm

RafCarre12 wrote: 15x8 et20 with 185-55 15's. The wide look is easily accomplished. It's just a matter of doing your homework.

Yeah I followed your build as well, looks really great. I was hoping to not have to roll the fenders though. The seller I was talking to has the 15x6 stock 4 lug rims with the factory offset, so I'm thinking that might work out. I'm not buying anything until the car is finished though. Thanks for the photo :P

sharkskinman Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:00 pm

im going to be putting some wider wheels on the back of my fast
they are 4 lug
maybe 6" wide
but i will have to check somehow without taking tire off it
OR if they fit When i trade tires

but they look either 6" to the outside with a bug offset
OR?? ill take some pics tomorrow and post them

71'Squareback Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:14 pm

Anybody on here own this? or knows the owner?

qoopwn Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:44 pm

71'Squareback wrote: Anybody on here own this? or knows the owner?

I've seen this guy on Insatagram I think his name is Tom or something, a friend showed me him.

Regarding the rims, I think a 5.5 deep rim with 46mm (stock offset) would fit under the car with no rubbing..

71'Squareback Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:17 am

qoopwn wrote:

I've seen this guy on Insatagram I think his name is Tom or something, a friend showed me him.

Regarding the rims, I think a 5.5 deep rim with 46mm (stock offset) would fit under the car with no rubbing..

Thanks qoopwn, I was able to find his car. I appreciate it 8)

W1K1 Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:21 am

to each their own, I like a car I can drive and not have bent rear fenders and crap tire wear.

I had 4 widened 6" stock wheels built, and powdercoated them. Running 185/65r15 fronts and 195/65r15 rear. empi disc brakes in the front and short axles in the back