TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1964 cab windshield
marvin ungerman Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:50 am

All
Help please.
On taking out my windshield the resto shop cracked the windshield.
Where, who,sells the proper windshield that will fit correctly?
I have heard of some that don't conform to proper thickness.
All help appreciated

356JAEGER Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:12 am

Marvin, try this :

http://www.stoddard.com/shop/shopdisplayproducts.a...briolet%29

Unobtanium-inc Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:19 am

M-
Stoddard has them in stock, or you can also get them from Pro Source.

Didn't anyone ever tell you to say NO TO CRACK!

www.stoddard.com

Or
ProSource Glass International
Toll Free:877-345-2800
978-975-5400
Fax: 978-975-5300
Cell: 978-790-4657

William Crowell Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:24 am

Since these windshields are quite valuable, ask the resto shop to see your old broken one. I had a body shop once claim my windshield broke when they tried to remove it. I asked them when it happened, and they replied, "Just a few minutes ago." I told them to hang onto it, and I'd come in to inspect it. Then they said they already threw it away. Since their story made no sense, I got my car out of there.

marvin ungerman Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:22 am

thanks for the heads up.but it IS CRACKED on removal.
Honourable rest shopI believe.It seems the last windshield was installed with glue.

bbspdstr Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:38 am

marvin ungerman wrote:
On taking out my windshield the resto shop cracked the windshield.
Where, who,sells the proper windshield that will fit correctly?
I have heard of some that don't conform to proper thickness.
All help appreciated
Marvin, being in Canada, you may want to contact your local Porsche dealer for that glass to save shipping costs (and added taxes?) I understand their prices are competitive with other sources.

Speaking of sources, you may want to Google "ProSource Glass" in Massachusetts? New Hampshire? Richard Tankle. He is selling for far less than most vendors and may be worth a call.

Geez, I tell my customers that a new gasket is far cheaper than a glass windshield and they usually give me their approval to safely cut the rubber so the glass stays intact...seriously, sorry that happened. Glue? Must have been for leaks. Never a good sign.

BTW, the thickness issue is not very important for fit of a windshield and not much thicker (think PPG) domestic laminated glass is available for a 356 anymore.

Also BTW, Porsche also sells a very supple but slightly more dense FORMED gasket for that glass. More money, but usually have a better fit, as does the more expensive VeloceSpace version. My theory again, but a more expensive gasket that fits better and lasts longer is cheaper than risking the windshield to change a cheaper rubber seal more often when those split at their (usually upper first) corners...because they are not formed at the corners.

marvin ungerman Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:52 am

Thanks Bruce
I think unfortunately the Canadian support for parts is minimal if any for a 356.
Thanks for the tip on installation re rubbers. I will pass on to my shop.
Much appreciated.
Hello to Martha??

bbspdstr Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:07 am

Try your dealer...any dealer can get any part in their system and that includes 356 parts...you want 644-541-101-00 if it's a Cabriolet (any-A-B-C Cab) or a T-2 or T-5 Coupe......and for a T-6 Coupe (T-6B or C)(or Hardtop 61) you want 644-541-101-06. Tinted, shaded, whatever is offered will be different numbers but you'll be in the door, so to speak, by that time.

My apologies, I did NOT see that Adam did a better recommendation to Pro Source than I had done.

Martha is well, I shall tell her you said hello, thank you!

ensys Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:47 pm

Back in my day (don't ask which one), our shop classes were occasionally enlivened with one-reelers about the adventures of Primitive Pete (a Disney production I think), who always used the wrong tools to do a job. In time, he became synonymous with anyone who tried shortcutting an operation (while using the wrong tools in the process to boot).

Ol' Pete was foremost in my mind when I cracked my windscreen by trying to remove and reposition it without cutting my brand new gasket. What a doofus. Lucky for me, Mr.Breazeale's most excellent facility was just across the Bay. Thanks again, Sir.

Sadly, this has become more germane in my life as that self-same gasket is now due for replacement.....