TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 69 notch Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jason37 Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:39 pm

Hmmm where to start. I first spotted this car 16 years ago, and decided to pass on it then. Fast forward six years and the car found me again. I was at a high school reunion when an old buddy brought up the notch he had and needed to part with. With my wedding three weeks away, a plan was hatched and the notch was mine. Unfortunately the car was not in the shape I remembered, as some kids had used it as a dance floor and the motor was toast. I spent a couple of nights the first week banging out the dents so it was atleast presentable. The weekend before my wedding, to good friends helped assemble the motor using a 68 short block I had for my squareback project. Late that night it was discovered that the case did not have the cutout to access the flex plate bolts. Dremel in hand, the case was clearenced and the motor fired shortly after 2am. I spent the next week driving to my buddies place parking my car and cruising the notch to work...as I had neglected to mention anything about the car to my future wife. The day of the wedding me and my groomsmen rolled to the church and parked the car in the back lot. After she entered the church the car was brought out front. We started our new lives together in that car...that was ten years ago.

Shortly after our wedding I had the car delivered to a body shop to be a side job for a couple guys while their shop was slow...three years passed and the roof was in the new front fenders and hood are fitted and most of the panels have the body work done. Rust repair was starting when the owners sold and the side work stopped...

Seven years and several motorcycles later I decided it was tme to get back on it this time around I am going to be tackling the metal work. The cars as see below looks decent...

Then I dug deeper....

This came from the front inner fender.

And then the perfect out rockers had to come off

As it too, was filled with monofoam

Not much meat left as after the monofoam was removed

Jason37 Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:53 pm

And finally some new metal going back in...I can only access one side of the car at a time so I can hardly wait to see what is instore.

New outer floor pans I bent up
And a new inner fender section being fitted prior to sand blasting

vlad01 Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:07 am

who put all that foam in there? that sux!

W1K1 Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:21 am

We made that mistake once with foam in the wifes beetle trying to make it quieter in the 80's :roll:

Jason, I forwarded your other pics to My buddy Joe who has a few T3s in a field in Monarch. One of those cars may be a good cheap sheet metal donor for your project.

Jason37 Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:16 pm

The monofoam is from the previous previous owner...a wire wheel on an angle grinder makes short work of it. Made some progress last night and got the front apron welded back in. The car had been hit at one time and when the apron was replaced no seam sealer was used and it was rotted out.

I would be very interested in a parts car...

Mike Fisher Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:45 pm

So your inner heater channels are not that bad. You could rebuild them with new outer skins welded onto the outside? Bobnotch knows who sell new outer skins.

Jason37 Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:14 pm

I totally agree. The outers were replaced and are still in good condition. It would be quicker to replace them as one piece, but were is the fun in that? Besides I just bought some new metal working tools (brake, shrinker/stretcher) that have to earn their money!

Bobnotch Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:10 am

Mike Fisher wrote: Bobnotch knows who sell new outer skins.

Yeah, CIP sells them. About 75 per side when you add in shipping.

Jason37 Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:17 am

Would anyone have pics of an inner rocker? Trying to figure out what the the end from the heater pipe to the body (door pillar) looks like.

ataraxia Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:48 pm

Those heater channels look like they're from an early car (pre 66)-because they have the tracks for the foot well sliders.

vlad01 Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:02 pm

ataraxia wrote: Those heater channels look like they're from an early car (pre 66)-because they have the tracks for the foot well sliders.

thats because its a notchback, they all have this style of heater channel til end of production.

ataraxia Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:03 am

vlad01 wrote: ataraxia wrote: Those heater channels look like they're from an early car (pre 66)-because they have the tracks for the foot well sliders.

thats because its a notchback, they all have this style of heater channel til end of production.

...duh. #-o

Shortly after posting, I remembered that...but it was too late.

Bobnotch Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:53 am

Jason37 wrote: Would anyone have pics of an inner rocker? Trying to figure out what the the end from the heater pipe to the body (door pillar) looks like.

You might want to look thru the "69 RHD Notch build (New Zealand)" pics, as he's got quite a few showing the inside of the rocker assembly. If you contact him, he might have some better shots, showing what you want.

Jason37 Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:53 am

Bobnotch wrote: Jason37 wrote: Would anyone have pics of an inner rocker? Trying to figure out what the the end from the heater pipe to the body (door pillar) looks like.

You might want to look thru the "69 RHD Notch build (New Zealand)" pics, as he's got quite a few showing the inside of the rocker assembly. If you contact him, he might have some better shots, showing what you want.

Thanks, I will check it out.

and more momofoam...

used a wire brush to remove the monofoam,

inner front fender (was supposed to be rust free)

and the piece I am working on to replace the rusted out section, my first crack using my new shrinker/stretcher...still have some more work to do.

W1K1 Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:45 am

Did joe ever get in touch about one of his parts cars?

Jason37 Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:59 am

W1K1 wrote: Did joe ever get in touch about one of his parts cars?

Not yet. And I haven't tried getting a hold of him. Maybe this weekend.

Jason37 Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:24 pm

Well it has been awhile. I ended up using a late model heater channel on the passenger side.

First fitment.

Made some pie cuts at the front to get the jam to line up. Used a hammer and screw driver to shape the outer piece.

More merely being added as the replacement part just didn't have enough to cover off what I had to cut.

The piece was fun to get shaped properly, but I think it looks ok for a part that no one will ever see.

After that was done it was time to get the car off the rack. Dropped one outer in the front with a set of oldspeed dropped spindles, rear is two inner.

Jason37 Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:05 am

Some random pics as to show there is progress. Slow, but every time I turn around I find more rust to deal with. The good news is the rear seat area is almost done.

MonT3 Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:07 am

Great progress on your notch. It's looking good and before you know it, you'll have those areas conquered!

grandpa pete Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:45 am

I recently bought panel clips from Eastwood ( mine aren't pretty blue ones though :D ) . I learned about them reading samba build threads.....they are a great help..................What are the copper colored fasteners you are using ...,.....Do you have to drill to use them.....What is the advantage over a temporary sheet metal screw fastener if you have to fill the hole either way..........Thanks 8)