TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Outlaw-engine swap
curtVA Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:08 pm

I'm thinking of doing an outlaw-type restoration, to be used as a daily driver, not necessarily to be garaged or shown.

I'm open to committing what may be considered sacrilege in some parts - doing an engine swap and using a modern suspension.

If you were going to do an engine swap, what would you use or consider?

I'm trying to think out of the box and could use some help. What would fit, even if going mid-engine and eliminating the rear seat area? How much HP would be overkill? What would be a "reasonable" cost for superior performance and reliability?

I'm open to anything from an Emory Motorsports recommended Dean Polopolus engine, a Hartley V8, a Honda K20, a Subaru, . . .

If all options were on the table, what would you consider?

Regards,
Curt

Glenn Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:39 pm

Subaru WRX engines are very popular in VWs.

Sven Stark Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:34 pm

Why not a 911 engine?
A friend of mine had a two litre in his B Carrera - fantastic car with a screamer for an engine...

The problem with a V8 is to get the cooling right. Another friend of mine tried that, and he struggled for years with the cooling.

bbspdstr Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:55 pm

curtVA wrote: I'm thinking of doing an outlaw-type restoration, to be used as a daily driver, not necessarily to be garaged or shown.

I'm open to committing what may be considered sacrilege in some parts - doing an engine swap and using a modern suspension. Any suspension other than that original to a VW/356 is "modern." What did you envision?

If you were going to do an engine swap, what would you use or consider?
Personally, air-cooled appeals to me. Many have used 911 variations, all 6 cylinders. I have seen big Typ IV engines, Corvair engines, all cheaper than Dean's lovely 2/3 911. After that, a WRX is probably a nice 160+hp unit. Remember, too, that less weight = more horsepower.

I'm trying to think out of the box and could use some help. What would fit, even if going mid-engine and eliminating the rear seat area? How much HP would be overkill? Whatever kills whatever trans you use. What would be a "reasonable" cost for superior performance and reliability? 30k for a motor, 10k for trans and brakes and 10k more for wheels tires and whatever else that buys IF that's even enough.

I'm open to anything from an Emory Motorsports recommended Dean Polopolus engine, a Hartley V8, a Honda K20, a Subaru, . . .

If all options were on the table, what would you consider? Keeping a 356 a 356 with 120hp, late 741 and disc brakes.....and using the other money to buy a 997 TT with heated seats, sunroof, air conditioning, good tunes and relative stability using all of that at 160mph....(except the open sunroof). BTDT. Anything that's a poor compromise is potentially wasting two vehicles and spending a lot of money to do so.

Regards,
Curt

MoPor Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:12 pm

Some kind of a budget might narrow the options down. :) A Dean Polopolus fuel injected engine would be powerful and reliable I would think. A type 4 VW would be a much less expensive option. There is one guy that runs a little diesel too. If you go to the Patrick Motorsports site they are installing a '96 993 engine in a 356. It is a major rework of that car but the engine is reliable and 285+ bhp would make it very quick. You could buy a low mile engine and transaxle pkge for $15k.

curtVA Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:24 am

Thanks for the comments.

Regarding the Patrick Motorsports photos at http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/project/1958-porsche-356-36l-vario-ram/#image_690 I had seen some of those photos from another project where a swap using an Audi V8 was under way:
http://www.kustomcoachwerks.com/forums/viewtopic.p...mp;start=0

Looking at my Atom, I've been thinking for some time about putting a tube frame under a 356, much like what Patrick Motorsports has done, and similar to the 1955 Emory Special. See also, http://pinterest.com/thecurator/what-if/

Dan Ruddock Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:38 am

The 356's short wheel base does not lend it self well to a heavy engine in the rear. That being said I would build a 2.0 liter 356 engine or a high end T1 VW 2.1 engine. Dan