TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Intake Manifold to Head Gasket Confusion
MoPor Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:14 pm

I'm trying to figure out what gaskets I need. I see that there is a different gasket listed at Stoddard for the Solex 40 manifolds vs the other smaller Solex & Zenith carb manifolds (I have Dellortos with some sort of aftermarket intake). I don't know what heads I have but the intake port size is the same as on the C/SC/912 spare heads that I have. There are 2 studs and one bolt. The ports are oval and approx. 34.5mm x 40.7mm. Any ideas? Thanks.

I'm going to change the gaskets because I'm eliminating possible causes of a variable idle speed. Now the tin is off and the engine is getting a cosmetic make-over while its naked. :)

356JAEGER Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:28 pm

Matt,
If the ports and bolt pattern are the same as the 912 / SC, use the Solex gaskets and trim any excess if any blocks part of the ports.
Stoddard PN 369-08-264-1

http://www.stoddard.com/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=47&cat=Carburetor+Kits+%26+Misc%2E

Have you checked your distributor ? Sometimes just oiling it at the felt pad under the rotor will free it up..

MoPor Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:10 pm

I can order those ones but I was looking at the other 2. :) I have no idea what the differences are. I did oil the distributor with no change and have a bunch of new parts such as advance springs, teflon slider, etc. to install if things don't improve.

savaden Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:33 am

Use the C/SC gasket set or the Solex 40PII intake gaskets. The other gaskets are for normal intake ports which are smaller. Even if you get the smaller gaskets, they can be trimmed to fit the shape of the intake ports.

The advance springs and Teflon sliders will not help your distributor. The advance springs sold are the wrong size, and the Teflon sliders are warped and will restrict the movement. If your springs are OK, keep them. If your phenolic sliding surface is not broken, use it.

PorscheTechnic makes a proper sliding surface for the early distributor:

http://www.porschetechnik.com/p-184-bosch-distributor-sliding-surface.aspx

Proper springs are not available to my knowledge.

SV

MoPor Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:50 am

savaden wrote: Use the C/SC gasket set or the Solex 40PII intake gaskets. The other gaskets are for normal intake ports which are smaller. Even if you get the smaller gaskets, they can be trimmed to fit the shape of the intake ports.

The advance springs and Teflon sliders will not help your distributor. The advance springs sold are the wrong size, and the Teflon sliders are warped and will restrict the movement. If your springs are OK, keep them. If your phenolic sliding surface is not broken, use it.

PorscheTechnic makes a proper sliding surface for the early distributor:

http://www.porschetechnik.com/p-184-bosch-distributor-sliding-surface.aspx

Proper springs are not available to my knowledge.

SV
Thanks SV. I guess I have a '56 Super case (internals unknown) with C/SC/912 heads (at least that is what the port size is) and Dell carbs. I'm pretty happy with the performance.

Yes, the teflon slider doesn't lay flat. I wondered about that. Why is Zim's selling these and the springs if they are not right? I've got a few things to return anyway. Thanks for the tips. You may have saved me from a few headaches. I'm off to the strippers tomorrow :) (to get my engine tin paint stripped...what else?)