TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Looking for a good place to send 2 solex carbs 4 rebuild.
Mr. Din Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:14 pm

Im looking for a place that I could send a pair of Solex carbs off for complete rebuild. Anyone have any ideas. I am in Texas if that helps any. Thanks!

foamcar Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:32 pm

http://www.356carburetorrescue.com/

is in AZ. Check out their site and prices.

Mr. Din Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:25 am

wow about $1500 for rebuild. Has anyone rebuilt these carbs before? I see some carb rebuild kits for $40 each.

Jacks Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:44 am

You are confusing "rebuilt" with "cleaned and new gaskets". :D

MoPor Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:02 am

The website actually says "restored" which is more than rebuilding in my books.

Mr. Din Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:19 am

We want to overhaul the carbs to make sure all the gaskets are new, check the jets and clean them up. So should we be looking for rebuild or just cleaning and having them gone though?

Glenn Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:22 am

Try Art Thraen @ ACE (AirCooled Engineering). He rebuilt both my Weber IDAs for under $400.

http://www.aircooledengineering.com/
AirCooled Engineering
360 W. 6100 South, #A
Salt Lake City, UT. 84107
(801) 747-3342

Mr. Din Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:33 am

Thanks ill check with him.

Also to mention, we having issues with cold starts and the car is running really rich.

Braukuche Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:39 pm

MoPor wrote: The website actually says "restored" which is more than rebuilding in my books.

They do super nice work, the carbs look better than new and they fully machine them, rebush, cad plate, etc, but to me it is more for the concour crowd. If all you want is good running carbs check around.

foamcar Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:13 pm

I am not trying to push Carb Rescue, but they will also just re-bush your bodies and bore out the throats to remove butterfly gouging, install new shafts and center their new, slightly oversize butterflys for considerably less than $1500. I am sure there are other shops that do the same for probably about the same cost. I went that route as my shafts were very worn, throats gouged and bushings worn. Did the rest of the work myself.

Mr. Din Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:22 am

I called aircooled engineering. They said from 800-1200$ for rebuild. Going to call carb rescue see what their pricing will be.

gimmesomeshelter Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:23 pm

Hello-

356 Carb' Rescue is a very nice outfit. Candace is very knowledgeable, and will answer any and all of your questions. I sent them my Zenith carbs and was quoted a turnaround time of 8 weeks. The carbs were completed in 4!

A lesson I learned while doing a whole house remodel is that you'll have fewer headaches if you work with people who are familiar with the kind of work you want done. While I’ve heard nothing but good things about Art, I would feel more comfortable working with a shop that works on your type of carb all day long. More specifically, I would suspect that 356 Carb' Rescue would have a larger stock of parts you might need, and may be more likely to spot problems specific to your specific model of carb.

Cheers,

Paul

savaden Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:32 am

Try Porschetechnik.

I guess they are now called PartsKassik.

http://www.partsklassik.com/c-22-carburetor.aspx

Anyway, Kurt is very knowledgeable, I have seen his work, and the prices are very reasonable.

For the Solex 40PII a clean with new gaskets is rarely sufficient, as has been mentioned, the butterfly shafts wear in the housings and cause vacuum leaks. Also the butterflies will wear in the bores. There are a number of problems that require more than the home mechanic can muster to perform a proper rebuild.

356JAEGER Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:10 am

Not sure if he's still at it but Harry Bieker is excellent.

Bieker Engineering
5215 Rogue River Highway
Grants Pass, OR 97527-4449
Phone: (541) 955-9777