TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Color question
vegabok Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:16 pm

I currently own a '69 bug that is painted Savanna Beige (L620) as it was stock. I want to freshen the paint up a bit and want to keep the same general color. I am planning on just giving the outside a spray, but was wondering what kind of options I have. I want to keep the outisde matching the inside, so i'll keep the savanna beige somewhere, possibly in a two-tone setup, or just redo it all over. Any ideas? For the two-tone maybe savanna beige below the chrome, black overwhere else? Or, would a savanna beige look good with a tad of metal flake in it? Please understand I am quite new to painting cars, so I hope I didn't make anyone laugh....but what do you think? Pictures of similar setups would help so much! Thanks for any help.

VW Addict Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:09 pm

I like that color on the car.

vegabok Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:38 pm

VW Addict wrote: I like that color on the car.

As do I, it's just that it's got some bad spots like rock chips, and it was keyed on the passenger side before I bought it, not bad, just not great. Do you think the black and beige two-tone looks good?

6d7vdub Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:04 pm

Quote: For the two-tone maybe savanna beige below the chrome, black overwhere else?

Are you talking about Black all over and the Savannah Beige below the trim, dont do it. To paint the whole car like that, you will have to go under the hood and decklid and inside to make it look best. That is a tight color, keep it stock and recoat the same color. Maybe a lighter beige below the trim might look nice... My $.02

vegabok Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:10 pm

6d6vdub wrote: Quote: For the two-tone maybe savanna beige below the chrome, black overwhere else?

Are you talking about Black all over and the Savannah Beige below the trim, dont do it. To paint the whole car like that, you will have to go under the hood and decklid and inside to make it look best. That is a tight color, keep it stock and recoat the same color. Maybe a lighter beige below the trim might look nice... My $.02

I don't think I'd mind the color if it was fresh at all. I actually like the car as it is, I mean, it's a VW, I love it the way it is. But, what do you think of Metal Flake in the color? I wouldn't want it too thick. I can't really picture it, any opinion? I am starting to lean to just a respray of the same color, but always like more ideas....thanks

6d7vdub Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:04 am

If you are interested in metal flake, yeah, it can look cool. I had a white S-10 many moons ago that I had refreshed with some blue metal flake. Looked really trick. Talk to a someone at a paint shop, and get there advice on it. With that color, I am not sure your flake options. May not make much of a difference for the money, it is lots more $$.

gcarver Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:39 am

My '69 Bug is all Savannah Beige with chocolate brown fenders. It was painted that way when I got it, but I am liking it more and more and think I will keep it that way.
Big Wednesday Ruled.