TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 64 Black / Red Sunroof Notch & 63 Square driver Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
mr. warehouse Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:30 am

I've had this car for a few months now. I got in in a trade for money owed to me. If it was RHD it would be my ultimate car, but as is, it's close enough...

Unfortunately the previous owner started *something* by tearing it completely apart and I got it as a basket case. Before he got to it, things looked pretty good...

When I took possession it was literally a basket case...

mr. warehouse Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:34 am

So far, the pans are the only thing I have got to.
The previous owner, again, went to town and cut the OG ones out without leaving much to align the new Gerson pieces.

New pans in now. Still need to work the rear seat pedestal area, clean the welds, and ??

mr. warehouse Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:38 am

Body is currently on rollers waiting for a rotisserie / dolly so I can start piecing it back together out of all the boxes to see what I have and what I need to find.

mr. warehouse Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:49 am

I've been doing some research trying to find a build number or similar for Black / Red Notch's with or without sunroof, but can't find anything.

Does anyone have a reference?

EverettB Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:40 am

I haven't seen any counts for models by color but there are definitely less Black cars than other colors out there. Whether it's less made or less left in existence I do not know.

65Nsqback Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:57 am

Sick car it's good to see it's going back together and a DAMN SHAME is was taken apart..theres nothing worse than a cool og car in BOXES :(

I'll be watching this one ...let me know if theres any parts you need

mr. warehouse Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:00 pm

65Nsqback wrote: Sick car it's good to see it's going back together and a DAMN SHAME is was taken apart..theres nothing worse than a cool og car in BOXES :(

I'll be watching this one ...let me know if theres any parts you need

Will do Kris. I need to get it off the floor and on to a dolly so I can see what I'm working with.

Pulling it off the pan complete for repairs would have been the way I attacked the car if I got to it before it was stripped. But I did not....

///Mink Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:32 pm

Is that the car Jason used to have? Looks familiar.

Adam Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:58 pm

Very cool to see another Notch in my neck of the woods 8)

ataraxia Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:28 pm

///Mink wrote: Is that the car Jason used to have? Looks familiar.

I noticed it in the gallery while looking for heater channel photos right before I got to this post...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?...ts=summary

Bobnotch Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:08 pm

mr. warehouse wrote: Body is currently on rollers waiting for a rotisserie / dolly so I can start piecing it back together out of all the boxes to see what I have and what I need to find.

Well, at least both "C" posts weren't rusted, and the lower lip for the rear window is still there. On my 65 Sunroof Notch, both of those areas were rotted. :shock:

Are you just going to polish the remaining paint and drive it? Or are you going to repaint the entire car?

mr. warehouse Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:28 pm

///Mink wrote: Is that the car Jason used to have? Looks familiar.

Yes this car came to me from Jason.
I believe it went original owner - Andy - Jeremy - Jason - myself

I'm sure everyone along the way made a little money, but this particular color / interior / trim / year car has been on my "must have" list for a extremely long time and I was more than happy to take ownership of it.

Bobnotch wrote: mr. warehouse wrote: Body is currently on rollers waiting for a rotisserie / dolly so I can start piecing it back together out of all the boxes to see what I have and what I need to find.

Well, at least both "C" posts weren't rusted, and the lower lip for the rear window is still there. On my 65 Sunroof Notch, both of those areas were rotted. :shock:

Are you just going to polish the remaining paint and drive it? Or are you going to repaint the entire car?

That is the $100,000 question. At first look (when I was only seeing it in pictures) I wanted to polish it out, redo the interior, drive and enjoy.
Once the car was delivered (in boxes and pieces) my mind turn towards a full resto. I honestly still haven't made that decision yet.

65Nsqback Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:44 pm

You know what my vote is buff it out and ENJOY 8)

This car would be INSANE looking buffed out and back on the road..New pans and a deep cleaning is all it needs :D ...IMO

notchboy Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:04 pm

And if it was restored to stock it would be in a class of its own, no other color combos alive. And I mean stock of coarse. Not resto cal, maybe lowered a bit and what nots :roll:

mr. warehouse Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:00 am

notchboy wrote: And if it was restored to stock it would be in a class of its own, no other color combos alive. And I mean stock of coarse. Not resto cal, maybe lowered a bit and what nots :roll:

I am going to need some 1500 Club help finding parts if I go that route. A couple days ago I was ready to throw in the towel on this one and buy Kevin's '63 just for the convenience of it having all the "right" parts. I'm digging the stock look, when done correct.

Tram Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:21 am

mr. warehouse wrote: notchboy wrote: And if it was restored to stock it would be in a class of its own, no other color combos alive. And I mean stock of coarse. Not resto cal, maybe lowered a bit and what nots :roll:

I am going to need some 1500 Club help finding parts if I go that route. A couple days ago I was ready to throw in the towel on this one and buy Kevin's '63 just for the convenience of it having all the "right" parts. I'm digging the stock look, when done correct.

Yeah... it's going to require some off- the- hook dedication, but the end result will be well worth it.

mr. warehouse Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:28 am

Tram wrote: mr. warehouse wrote: notchboy wrote: And if it was restored to stock it would be in a class of its own, no other color combos alive. And I mean stock of coarse. Not resto cal, maybe lowered a bit and what nots :roll:

Yeah... it's going to require some off- the- hook dedication, but the end result will be well worth it.

I agrre.
Some guys I know who don't "get it" can't understand why I want to set it aside and work on it at a slow non rushed pace.

First goal - Figure out what's missing / needing to be replaced
Second goal - Spend lots of time finding those parts
Third goal - Start restoring parts
so on....

hoss Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:30 am

EverettB wrote: I haven't seen any counts for models by color but there are definitely less Black cars than other colors out there. Whether it's less made or less left in existence I do not know.

In the registry I count 37 vehicles with L41 (Black) color being recorded out of 1,163 cars counted.

That's about 3.2% of the cars in the Registry.. for whatever that is worth.

Tram Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:40 am

mr. warehouse wrote: Tram wrote: mr. warehouse wrote: notchboy wrote: And if it was restored to stock it would be in a class of its own, no other color combos alive. And I mean stock of coarse. Not resto cal, maybe lowered a bit and what nots :roll:

I agrre.
Some guys I know who don't "get it" can't understand why I want to set it aside and work on it at a slow non rushed pace.

First goal - Figure out what's missing / needing to be replaced
Second goal - Spend lots of time finding those parts
Third goal - Start restoring parts
so on....

Perfect chronology. I'm not a certified '1500 Club' guy, but I'll lend whatever help I can/ fling whatever shit is necessary :lol: to see this get done.

Black on red is the bomb. I love black cars but hate polishing them.

volksaddict Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:41 am

Nice car! I had a black notch once.. My vote is for nice, shiny deep black paint - before the whole car looks like that left corner of the decklid.