TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Project 66 Daily Driver. Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
EA812 Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:44 pm

After completing Project Herbie this year (see http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=336044) I decided to do it all again. Well not everything this time. I found a better candidate that has solid heater channels and mostly solid floor pans. My plan is once it is done to use this one as a daily driver for a year. I followed the blog Jonathan Klinger had for his 365Days of A and thought what a good car the Beetle would be for this plus people drive them daily all the time.

[/img]

Jon65 Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:51 pm

Cool. Looks like a good project.

EA812 Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:57 am

Since this isn’t going to be a body off resto I decided while the engine is out to take care of some rust removal and painting. Pulled the trans axle and cleaned it up plus replaced the mounts and metal brake lines.

terrieann Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:34 am

Looks so interesting! Wish I had a place to dig into mine and wish I wasn't so chicken to do it!

EA812 Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:45 pm

Cleaned the dash up recently. The paint still looks good.

[/img]

EA812 Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:55 am

I cut out some cancer recently and spliced in a piece that came with this project.

Here it is with the fender for a test fit. Turns out this piece was straighter than original. Now the hood closes better .

EA812 Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:38 pm

I wasn’t planning on doing any welding on this project yet but A fellow CVA member kind of lit a fire under my butt so I’ve rebuilt the spare tire compartment now and fixed the front left quarter panel. The biggest part of the welding is done now.

Jon65 Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:36 pm

Sweet. 8)

Nice, clean job. Looks great.

EA812 Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:32 pm

jon65 wrote: Sweet. 8)

Nice, clean job. Looks great.

Thanks!

EA812 Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:58 pm

I spent a lot of time to save the original front apron. When cutting the front spare tire compartment side off I welded the apron to what was left to the quarter panel so I wouldn’t loose its position on the body. Since it was still attached that way it was hard to drill out the spot welds in there so I had to spend a lot of time grinding them off instead.

Since the hood seal channel was messed up I finally figured a way to manipulate the channel piece left over from Herbie.

EA812 Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:27 pm

Some updates: I finished repairing the rear corners of the floor pan halves. Then painted with Eastwood rust encapsulator. I'm using Tractor Supply tractor and implement paint this time around instead of bed liner paint for the final coat. The stuff is like an epoxy paint and cheap too!

sportin-wood Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:54 pm

Looking good! Always good to see someone saving a bug, giving it new life.

EA812 Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:27 am

sportin-wood wrote: Looking good! Always good to see someone saving a bug, giving it new life.

Look whose talking. Good job on yours as well!

sportin-wood Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:21 pm

Yeah, but you seem to have waaay better welding skills than I have! One question - are you going to be changing out your transmission mounts (front and rear)? I'm looking to do that soon, but can't seem to find any forum posts on doing that on our '66 year bugs (specifically the front mount). The rear should be faily simple especially because I have the motor out already.

EA812 Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:36 am

Yea I did all the trans mounts plus the nose cone seal. With the engine out now would be the best time to do them. Since your probably gonna be doing brake lines and stuff, it isn’t much more work to pull the transaxle. Make sure to notch the spring plates before hand so you don’t lose alignment for your rear axles.

The bugme videos have been a big help on all this stuff.

Rome Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:29 pm

Great to see a relatively solid '60's Beetle being revived in New England. Good work so far! I hope you can get it roadworthy even if the bodywork is still in progress, and drive it to VW meets in CT this season.

sportin-wood Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:01 pm

EA812 wrote: .......Make sure to notch the spring plates before hand so you don’t lose alignment for your rear axles.

Been watching my BugMe Video Vol. 5 on transmission removal - is the torsion plate the same as the spring plate? That's what he notches.

EA812 Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:51 am

Took the axle beam off recently, cleaned it up a bit and painted. It’s defiantly gonna need ball joints and tie rods.

EA812 Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:54 pm

sportin-wood wrote: EA812 wrote: .......Make sure to notch the spring plates before hand so you don’t lose alignment for your rear axles.

Been watching my BugMe Video Vol. 5 on transmission removal - is the torsion plate the same as the spring plate? That's what he notches.

I think so. He also gives a good trick on how to align it all back up with the bolts and a vice grip. You will be in good shape following his directions;) I watched the video when I put it all back a few months ago.

shano63 Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:04 pm

Great work Brent....I'll be watching for more updates! 8)