TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Double Cab Rebuild. Patch Panels and more. Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
dannyogorman44 Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:58 pm

Another set of Patch panels and repairs I am doing. This bus is an old project that the owner did a lot of work on already. Some of the work is old, some of the work he hired out to get done and a lot of it needs replaced or repaired. Ill show the pregress as I go. I already have a week in so Ill post the pictures up to now. Thanks for looking.

Old Patch, covered in half inch of bodyfiller getting ready to get cut out and done right and panel properly corrected.

Another old overlapped patch panel starting to rust out. The panel surrounding the patch is heavily warped so I will be replacing this section as well.

Thanks again to Ronnie at Bustoration.com. Lifesaver and a wealth of information!! Also thanks for all the correct metal.

Trimmed and test fit.

Trimmed and test fit

dannyogorman44 Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:12 pm

Old panel reshrunk, dollied, hammered on until prfile was correct and all loose overstretched metal was back, tight and workable.

Nose getting ready to Strip.

Stripper nose

The nose is in really good shape considering some of the ones I have seen.
Half a day of metal shaping and the nose should come out nose.

dannyogorman44 Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:26 pm

The patch panel I did have to alter a little bit to remain the correct profile of the wheel opening. This is not a flawed patch. A little trimming and altering is required to make it right. Most would be happy as it was.

Welded up

Finsihed and ground.
]
took a little time for such a little change, but these little details make all the difference.

dannyogorman44 Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:45 pm

This one is also in between this one
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6419611
and This one
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=539012
keep an eye out if interested! Thanks all.

Culito Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:18 am

Nice work...

dannyogorman44 Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:01 pm

after inspection the bus has been previously repaired by a "restoration guy" but the guy was a hack. I need to replace inner rocker, outer rocker, some pillar work, repair the jack point flanges, top hats were butchered, etc, etc.

dannyogorman44 Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:07 pm

DubStyle Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:15 pm

Keep the pictures coming, I love seeing a DC getting saved!

jeffreyned Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:02 pm

Nice work. I appreciate you posting it as I will be attempting similar work on my single cab and don't have your skills or experience yet. Thanks for posting these pics and commentary.

Alexmobil Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:49 pm

great! another set of very useful pics for reference. I need to do the same work( like the patch near the cargo door) in my double cab. Bravo :D

dannyogorman44 Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:22 pm

no problem guys. thanks for the replies. As I work on this bus I will keep adding pictures. I have a ton of pictures that I didnt post so that I wouldnt flood the thread. If you guys need something or a picture of a certain part just let me know. The patch by the cargo door - if your seam and metal is still good around it try to butt weld as close to that seam as possible. You can split the seam, but it is a lot of work to put it all back together right there. I chose to weld it as close to the seam as possible and still keep it clean. I ground the welds off on the inside, too, so that they would not be seen. They wont be seen anyway, but if anyone ever takes this bus apart in the future and inspects it from the inside out - I will beable to sleep at night knowing that I did the job as clean as possible and did my customer right. A good friend of mine and a great source of bus info is Ronnie (splitpile) over at bustoration.com. I use his knowlege of busses and pick his brain daily. I build this stuff as if he was looking at it and as if I was building it for him because he's as picky and anal as they come. Thanks again guys and Ill keep you posted as I make progress.

dannyogorman44 Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:00 pm

left side. had pinholes and I shoved a pencil right through the panel, so i figured it needed replacing.

As I suspected .. someone has already been here. Pretty Nasty inside.

Start of the inner repair. Wire Wheeled. Rust Cleaner. Rust Convertor. Topcoated with black enamel to protect it longer.

Coming back together

dannyogorman44 Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:06 pm

Back to the nose to plug some holes. I cut out some plugs, spot welded a spotter nail to it to hold it and welded it all up.

Welded

Another Hole

Welded

Ground Down

The other one Ground Down

Showing both spots welded

dannyogorman44 Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:02 pm

I have had a few calls and pm's on repair work. I don't know how to properly advertise? But -I rented a 2500sq ft. shop that I will be trying to do only Volkswagen metal repair and refinishing. Insured, licensed, the full deal. If any questions feel free to message me.

dannyogorman44 Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:23 am

I have been so busy moving into my new shop and working I have not had any time to do updates. Since moving in I have aquired a couple new projects, new customers and projects for myself. Been a very good year so far. I have been blessed to have such great family and friends. Enough about me - onto the Bus. A lot has been done since I last posted, so, I'll do 5 pics at a time until I am caught up. Thanks everyone for being so patient.

All Metal Work got finished up and the whole bus got put into Epoxy Primer. Everything except the back window section which needs cut out and rewelded in from a previous repair.

All Bodywork was done on top of the Epoxy and finished out in 80 and then poly glazed and finished with 180 and then polyester primed for blocking before a final 2K primer and Final Block.

dannyogorman44 Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:42 am

Cut Out, Re Welded and Cleaned up.

Right Side Fully Bodyworked and In Primer

Started the right side.

Noticed a couple tiny pinholes - So I poked at them and sand started pouring out. I called the customer and he okay'd for me to cut it out and repair whatever it needed.

dannyogorman44 Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:49 am

I've never seen this before. Packed full of sand and actually still had a few alive ants living in it. How Weird. That was a first for me. I'm used to seeing pop cans, fiberglass, newspaper, rags and bondo - An Ants Nest? How Cool!!

After cleaning it out and drying to it really good - I wire Wheeled everything, Treated everything, Scrubbed some more and then epoxy'd everything inside of it. Thankfully this was the only lower panel that hasnt been replaced yet, So I dont have to worry about anymore ants nest or crazy things hiding anywhere else since its all been cut out and replaced already.

dannyogorman44 Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:53 am

dannyogorman44 Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:56 am

primed.

bedside done

How it sits as I left tonight to go home

dannyogorman44 Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:08 pm

some updates. first round of poly primer done. now onto 2k primer and blocking blocking and more blocking. engine bay painted. prepping this week for interior and jambs and reassembly.