TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Which Air Bags for my 69 IRS?
legotech7 Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:54 pm

I'm working on putting air bags on my 69 IRS and am using something similar to the Airkewld set up for the IRS. Has anyone done this type of set up and can tell me what air bags you used? My set up is for single port bags, but if any one has dimensions or specs. of their specific bags, ( height hole spacing, etc..) I would appreciate the input. Also what size air tubing are you using? I want my set up to be as efficient as possible...

Thanks All.......

Jerry Hundley Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:27 pm

You need 2500 bags. Thats what I run on my 66. Its swingaxle but should be the same. 1/2 airline is the best. are you going to run manual or electric valves

legotech7 Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:49 am

Haven't decided about the switches yet, but yea I was thinking about running the 2500's. Do you find the 1/2'' lines help with the speed of air going the bags? What size tank do you have ? And while I'm asking type of compressor are you running?

Thanks again for any and all help......

Jerry Hundley Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:54 am

Im running manual valves now with 1/4 air line and it is sloooowwwwww. I have electric valves Im getting ready to install with 1/2 line. I am vair 280 compressor with a 1 gallon tank. The tank is no where big enough.

legotech7 Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:23 am

Yea, I think your tank may be too small. I was told I could run a 5 gallon tank. But the air supply or the compressor has to keep up! So I have to see what will work. Is there any way you could post some pics of you set up? It would be a great help. Right now I'm just measuring where my plates need to go so I can tack weld them in place and cut my Lower control arms. My measurements have to be perfect.

Thanks a heap Jerry............