TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1968 Audi F103 75L Coupe Page: 1, 2  Next
XXX-1.8T Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:26 am

The 1968 Audi 75L type F103 has arrived and i couldnt be happier. It took me 3 weeks to track down the owner in which thanks to Golfballs from vww put me in touch with Heinz the Austrian guy who has owned the car for the last 30 years.
Car has 60,000miles and is as clean and solid as ever. Its going to take me a bit of time to get used to manual column shift but i will get there. I did some research on the car and how it got to Australia :)

Yes these Audis were first imported into Australia in 1967. They were imported by Volkswagen Australasia, then based in Melbourne, and sold through selected VW dealers in Melbourne and Sydney. FCAI records sales of just 173 Audi F103 models that year.

In 1968 the ownership of Volkswagen Australia was taken over by Sydney's LNC Industries, and they continued importing the Audi F103. In fact in those days the FCAI actually counted Audi sales as Volkswagen sales. In 1968 they sold 142 F103 models.

In 1969 LNC also imported another VW Group vehicle, the NSU Ro80. Another model counted as a Vollkswagen! The sales were 53 F103 models and 49 Ro80s.
Now this is the only Audi 75L in Australia and 1 of 7 RHD Audi F103's in the world.

Here are some pics:

pimpin with factory pop outs ;)

White walls installed:

I cant wait till i lower it!

Rocky Mountain Westy Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:01 pm

That thing is sweet. Good score. Any motor pics?

XXX-1.8T Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:00 am

Here are some pics of the engine and Auto Union chassis plate

Car was built in 1965 but first registered in 1968 I guess it would have taken a year back then to get to Australia from Germany and then took a couple of years to sell as Audi or Auto Union was an unknown brand

Question anyone know how I can lower the rear?

The front is adjustable torsion beam the rear is also torsion beam as well but not adjustable.

Would it be like a beetle and I can weld in adjuster?

In Europe the guys run Mk1 Golf adjustable coil overs but not sure what they would do with the torsion beam?

Any suggestions?

driverlost Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:20 pm

Very nice!

Vulpi Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:26 pm

That is a beauty and an inspiration. I can only dream that the two of mine will look so nice one day. Congratulations on finding it.

Here are my future projects.

[img]http://photos.foxgti.com/i.ashx?gallery=825328&mid=21094687&mt=Photo&standardsize=640x480[/img]
http://photos.foxgti.com/GalleryThumbnails.aspx?gallery=825328

[img]http://photos.foxgti.com/i.ashx?gallery=2738637&mid=51491466&mt=Photo&standardsize=640x480[/img]
http://photos.foxgti.com/GalleryThumbnails.aspx?gallery=2738637[url]

XXX-1.8T Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:41 am

Thanks for the links curious to know why the USA F103 got circular headlamps and not square like the rest of the world?

alan n Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:30 am

Just stunning! 8)

Enjoy your new ride.

al.

Shadd Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:10 pm

XXX-1.8T wrote: Thanks for the links curious to know why the USA F103 got circular headlamps and not square like the rest of the world?

My guess would be that the U.S. department of transportation used to have a lot of silly requirements for headlights on imported cars. For instance the VW beetle had to use 7" round sealed beam headlights to fit the requirement even though the original european units were much more refined. :roll:

XXX-1.8T Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:56 am

Finally registered!

Now off to the mechanic for a service and a altitude adjustment.

alan n Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:09 am

XXX-1.8T wrote: Finally registered!

Now off to the mechanic for a service and a altitude adjustment.

SWEET!

I was hoping you were going to whack it with the lowering stick. 8)

You going for a static drop or an airride set up?

XXX-1.8T Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:20 am

Yep that's next on the list.

I will go static drop as front and back is torsion and want to keep everything original so I can raise up when need be

alan n Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:22 am

XXX-1.8T wrote: Yep that's next on the list.

I will go static drop as front and back is torsion and want to keep everything original so I can raise up when need be

Can't wait! 8)

cub Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:24 am

Oh wow....beautiful car ! I really like early Audi/ NSU vehicles. Is it a four or three speed on the column ? Very good find...and don't be afraid to post up many pics....we don't mind :D

XXX-1.8T Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:31 pm

It's 4 speed on the column. Yes I will post pics as I update

Quintus Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:59 am

Cool car!

XXX-1.8T Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:39 am

Not much of an update at the moment. I would have liked more to be happening but my mechanic went away on holidays and will be coming back next week. but in the mean time here are a few things that i got that are interesting:

NOS uncut Ignition key as you can see with the original Door key:

Original English manual (most are in German) with original folder:

This came in the mail from Germany:

Certificate of Production from Audi:

As you can see it says the car was a UK delivered car which I am investigating. Unless all Aussie
F103's were designated as UK cars due to them being RHD? Also it says it was delivered in 1969 which according to my records has been in Australia since 1968. At least the colour codes are correct :)

It also came with a copy of the original Production Card:

I also bought a copy of Australian Motor from 1967 as they were reviewing a LHD Red 4 Door F103 before it was launched in Australia:

Came with a Castrol poster which i thought was funny with the "race" cars they chose:

Quick pic only changes are I got rid of the Mk1 Golf mirrors the owner installed and got some nice shiny chrome ones along with some red fuzzy dice for something differnt

Cant wait to get it fully serviced and the suspension all sorted!

alan n Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:51 am

Nice update.... cheers! 8)

al.

XXX-1.8T Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:28 am

After months of looking i found one of the earliest Stereo Blaupunkt Frankfurts from the late 60's :)

These were fitted as dealer options to the Audi's:cool:

This is even more rare as its a USA version which has FM/AM buttons vs the usual U/L German buttons.

Im so chuffed:

VWaddict01 Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:31 pm

Beautiful rare beast!! My Father had a clean 74 Audi Fox coupe. I wish he never sold it :cry:

Can't wait to see it lowered!!

XXX-1.8T Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:21 am

sneak peak