TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: VW restoration in DC
physast Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:53 pm

Hello everyone,
I started a thread about restoration shops in Atlanta and now I might be looking in DC.

I moved to DC from Atlanta about 5 years ago, but left my bug in Atlanta. Now I want it back! So I plan on restoring it and have not decided yet to do this in Atlanta or bring her up to DC and do it here.

Any recommendations for VW shops in the DC area? I want to at the min get new floorpans, a rebuilt stock 1500 engine and new paint for the 67 beetle.

Thanks in advance.

L378 Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:02 pm

There's several, depends on how much you want to spend and how soon you want it. I might add you're going to dump about a grand in shipping the car to DC from GA. My opinion, restore in GA and drive it back to DC, IF you are still in DC by the time its done. A couple of names come to mind - Cooker's in Clearspring (I think), MD a few miles past Hagerstown. Be prepared to wait (likely have a backlog) and fork over $$$$. Their work is award winning and routinely featured in HotVWs and the like. Econo German Motors in Hagerstown does some resto work as well. I do not know what their backlog is. If you want just floorpans and engine work, I'd go with John @ econo, there are also a couple of others in VA and south and east of DC, but I can't recall their names off the top of my head you can look them up on this site under the business section or through their ads. I'm sure others will chime in with names.

investomatic Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:08 pm

Don't go with John at Econo, he will rip you off and is pathetic. He had my car and been paid for 3 years but will just not finish the job. Contact me if you want more.

physast Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:40 am

Thanks for the recommendations. I have picked a place in Georgia. Shipping to DC would have been to expensive and I found a nice guy that does excellent work in Georgia.

swhitcomb Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:15 am

There's Grant at Skyline Auto in Madison VA. Used to go by Northside. I like Grant a lot personally. His club and our club our very good friends. His work is remarkable. I've heard however, it often costs more then you expect. I have no personal experience, because I do my own work.

For mechanical work, there's Mark at Mark1 in Walkersville MD. I've been using him for years. Takes a while to know his personality, but he's a great guy. He's kept several of my cars on the road (through having parts in stock, and great advise, because again, I do my own work). I've known people who have taken cars to him, and the only complaint anyone has ever had was it wasn't quick enough. That friend also has zero patience and wanted it done NOW. Mark goes to all the local shows, and whenever possible, I try and buy from him. I want to keep him in business. It's great to have a local parts supplier. I have bought every thing from OE wire connectors, to floor pans, to a new hood for my wife's Thing from him.

Oh, one last thing. Mark is THE VW key guy on the east coast. I've had him make me several. He'w like an encyclopedia of VW key knowledge.

MOCHABILL Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:42 pm

" Mark is THE VW key guy on the east coast. I've had him make me several. He'w like an encyclopedia of VW key knowledge."

aircooledkey.com

:)

vwinnovator Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:24 am

European Auto Tech in Pasadena, MD

Everything from minor service to full body off restorations, customs, engines.
Rotisserie equipped shop

Always backlogged but manages the flow well.
Barely advertises anymore, selective on jobs taken in...

New and used parts on hand.

Low overhead, so most reasonably priced shop in town....
Works solely for the love of the cars

shortride Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:37 am

I'm sure there are several great restoration shops but I think if I were close enough and had the money I would take it to Chris at Classic VW Bug in New York. http://www.classicvwbugs.com/

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=22+Burts+Rd.+Conger...5&z=16