TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: My New 70 Deluxe Bay Window...Lots of Pics Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
jasoncardenas21 Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:59 pm

I've been trying to get this one for a few months when the owner called me today to see if I was still interested.

I scored it for $800. It's been sitting for 12 years so I'm going to have some work to do, but glad I got it.

1970 Deluxe

Looking forward to another project as soon as my 69 Beetle is done.

obnoxiousblue Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:04 pm

Congrats, it looks real clean! Hope to see more pics of it soon!

69rulz Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:56 pm

Wow that solid :shock:

guitarman63mm Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:24 pm

Kind of weird that someone moved the antenna on a bus that appears to have stock seals, stock beading, etc.

aeromech Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:42 am

Looks great and I wouldn't be surprised to find very little rust. That bus looks like a keeper.

jasoncardenas21 Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:17 am

aeromech wrote: Looks great and I wouldn't be surprised to find very little rust. That bus looks like a keeper.

Prior to the purchase, I did the whole thing getting on the ground with a flash light to check for rust and there is absolutely no rust at all. I'm very excited about it and going to get it and put it in my yard today.

More pics to come. I'll have to become a frequent visitor to this forum as this is my first bus ever. Owned a bug for 23 years now.

Thrasher22 Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:28 am

Wow, looks like a great score! Many owners on here have spent more on replacement panels that you spent on the whole bus :lol:

retroman Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:02 am

Excellent. I have been thinking of checking out Hawthorne for vw treasures. Looks like you got one. I'm in fernley.

Collie Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:13 am

Nice find. And a great price for that kinda shape!

I only dream of finds like that on the east coast :?

Westfabulous Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:56 am

That bus looks super solid. Nice find. It also has a decal package that is very similar in style to the Wild Westerner bus that came out a few years later. Hmmm.

jasoncardenas21 Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:09 am

retroman wrote: Excellent. I have been thinking of checking out Hawthorne for vw treasures. Looks like you got one. I'm in fernley.

Hey retroman,

Not a ton to pick from here. There is a lot in a lot across from McDonalds, don't know how much he is willing to get rid of, but as everyone says, everything has a price.

I completely lucked out on this one. Guy was selling his whole lot of cars all at once for $25K. He wouldn't budge on that so he wouldn't get rid of it. I stayed on him for a couple of weeks and he kept saying no. Needless to say, 3 months after any contact, he called me to see if I wanted it. Jumped on it.

I don't know exactly what my plans are for it, for now, just get it running and drive it. All of my $$$ is going into my beetle build right now.

Desertbusman Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:49 pm

Wonder what he wants for the Cady sitting next to it?

jasoncardenas21 Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:03 am

I went over to start changing tires so I can get the bus over to my house this weekend and decided to go through the glovebox and get all the paperwork from it. Needless to say that the previous owner was an awesome record keeper. Here is just a few of the pictures that I took.

Gas was cheap...kept records of everytime he put gas in it and how many miles to the gallon he was getting.

Every Registration Paper

All Maintenance Receipts

Owners Manual

One of my favorites, an old receipt from Fibercraft & Reno Bug Barn in Reno

Cool Misc. Items
Bullshit From Nevada

Old United Airlines Pen

1972 Far West Map

Here is all of the stuff bagged up. Pretty Awesome.

CoastalAirCooledVW Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:23 am

$800 was definitely a score! :D Take lots of pictures of the extraction and ride home.

jasoncardenas21 Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:49 am

CoastalAirCooledVW wrote: $800 was definitely a score! :D Take lots of pictures of the extraction and ride home.

Should have it home today. Our local tire shop didn't have any old tires I could get mounted to bring it home so I had to borrow some from a friend and can't get those until noon.

I'll post more later.

Djoul Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:44 pm

very nice looking bus :shock: , congrats for this find... :wink:

jasoncardenas21 Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:38 pm

Well, after a ton of work locating some good tires on Wide 5 rims, I was finally able to get the bus home which my son has appropriately named it Shaggy, you will see why later.

Changed out all four tires in which 2 of the new ones went flat, changed out those 2 in which 1 went flat, found the original spare under the front seat and swapped that out to find the rear drivers side flat and after finally getting 4 aired up tires on it, I towed it home. Here are the pics in my front yard.

First thing I am going to do is put some Hankook 185R14 RA08 tires on it so I can roll it around and start working on this. Need to finish my bug before I get too deep into the Bay though.

And my 15 year old son's drawing.

panic_fan Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:45 pm

jasoncardenas21 wrote:

First thing I am going to do is put some Hankook 185R14 RA08 tires on it so I can roll it around and start working on this. Need to finish my bug before I get too deep into the Bay though.

Check into the 195R14's as well. I have the 185's on mine. Kinda wished I would have went with the slightly wider 195. Just my 2 cents.

justcruzin Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:48 pm

jasoncardenas21 wrote: Well, after a ton of work locating some good tires on Wide 5 rims, I was finally able to get the bus home which my son has appropriately named it Shaggy, you will see why later.

Changed out all four tires in which 2 of the new ones went flat, changed out those 2 in which 1 went flat, found the original spare under the front seat and swapped that out to find the rear drivers side flat and after finally getting 4 aired up tires on it, I towed it home. Here are the pics in my front yard.

]

And my 15 year old son's drawing.

Looking good! I like the paint color. Kind of a one of a kind, well at least I have never seen one like it! :D

To bad you weren't in CA. I have a personalized plate that would go with your son's name for the bus! It say's SHAGGY! LOL It was going to be for a Pinto I was going to put Shag carpet in, but that never happened so the plate is just being held on another Pinto of mine. LOL

tweakhx Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:45 am

Super clean! Love the discoloration! How's the interior look?