TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Hershey swap 2013 Page: 1, 2  Next
MMW Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:34 am

Anyone got any suggestions for hotels? Is it hard to get one? Any issues with having my 356 in the parking lot? I'd like to come out on Friday. Maybe take a trip to the AACA museum to see the Porsche exhibit.

http://www.aacamuseum.org/events/event.aspx?id=450

bbspdstr Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:25 pm

Mic, I reserved a room for myself again at the White Rose Motel, slightly east of town on Chocolate Ave. (Rt.422)....717-533-9876

You will likely speak with Cindy if you call.

The White Rose is small, clean and inexpensive. There are (many) others, but all fill up quickly about now if other events are in the area and costs rise the closer you get to "downtown" Hershey.

I get access to the swap lot Friday afternoon (help out there if needed), park and disconnect my trailer, go back and register at the motel, have dinner somewhere, relax and get up early.....but maybe go to the museum this year, too, for a Porsche O/D.

Unobtanium-inc Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:41 pm

The two cheapest and most decent places I have found have been the Hojo and the Comfort Inn, we have been favoring the Comfort Inn the last few years because we get points and use them for free stays, but the HoJo has always been nice too.

MMW Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:28 pm

I saw a bunch of guys on 914world stay at the Knights inn of Palmyra about 8 miles east of the swap. Sounds like they have a big party.

MMW Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:48 am

So I waited to long to get in the White Rose. Called yesterday & they were booked up. Not happy with myself for waiting. So I'm taking a chance & booked a room at the motel where the guys from 914 world are staying. It's about 10 minutes east of the swap.

Plan is my son Tim & I are heading out Friday morning sometime from northern NJ. About a 2hr. ride. Get lunch & hit the AACA museum in the afternoon. Then hopefully find someone to have dinner & hang out with. Up early for breakfast on Saturday & hit the show/swap. Providing the weather is good I will be taking my 356.

Unobtanium-inc Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:08 am

We booked at the Comfort Inn again, I think they jack the rates every year. Considering we are up at 4AM and don't even get the free breakfast, it doesn't feel like much of a deal. Oh well...

See everyone there, my mom is manning or womanning the booth again this year so make sure you stop by for a giftbag.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1036553.jpg

MMW Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:45 am

Two weeks away. Anyone else going besides Bruce, Adam & me?

Unobtanium-inc Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:48 pm

I sure hope so, it will be awkward with just the three of us.

bbspdstr Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:47 am

Unobtanium-inc wrote: I sure hope so, it will be awkward with just the three of us.
There will be MANY people at Hershey. It draws internationally. Many of "us" think now of events like Hershey as social events more than a business venture, so if is only the three of "us"... then meet new friends...and maybe have FUN taking their money or buying their parts! What's "awkward" about that? (Take hand sanitizer if shaking hands is a germ phobia.) :wink:

It's a habit for many of us. I no longer have loads of 356 things that I wish to sell, especially at "swap meet" prices. It's become much more than that. We see those with whom we may merely speak once or twice a year. It's a "face-in-the-place" way of catching up with old freinds and aquaintances. IT's an effort any way you slice it, but it's also rewarding...dare I say it :?: FUN! :lol:

It's a "busman's holiday" for many, like Adam and me, but it's all good. I take my enclosed trailer and few parts....mainly I like to have load and unload convenience and a place to get out of the rain or sun...in that order! 8)

I have missed 2.5 iterations of the event now called Hershey since it began in the back lot of the Mechanicsburg Porsche dealer that was quickly outgrown and moved to Ski Roundtop's parking lots in their off-season. It out-grew that venue and was taken to the immense Hershey complex, even with the advent of the Internet and that method of finding or selling parts from the comfort and relative lack of liquid humidity of where your computer may be. :P

It's always been at a place where someone with the ability to offer hosting was involved with Porsches in some way and allowed the rest of "us" to mingle, barter, trade, sell or buy...through their involvement with the venue. :D

It's a "rain or shine" event, so plan for the worst and rejoice at seeing the sun, but in any case, take rain gear! ("Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"......like a spare clutch cable.) :idea:

(BTW, I missed two events for racing and half of one for a niece's wedding. Also, look forward to the rekindled Ski Roundtop later this year, in September. Air-cooled only. Sometimes, bigger is not always better for finding something you really need.) :!:

bbspdstr Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:55 am

Unobtanium-inc wrote: I sure hope so, it will be awkward with just the three of us.
So, your Mom and brother don't count? I think I'll be the only one of "us" without family along this time. :cry:

MMW Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:16 am

Bruce, I understand all your saying. I know it's a big event & I planned on going for the fun & meeting people as I don't have anything to sell. I don't need anything either but may find something?

Since I'm not in the "registry brotherhood" I am just trying to figure out if any others from The Samba are going.

Unobtanium-inc Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:00 pm

Bruce, of course they count, I have to feed them!!!!

Hope everyone will stop by the booth for a FREE gift bag, full of cool stuff, even Porsche stuff since the Factory is sponsoring our bags now. Here is the crew, in case you see us in the crowd, if not the booth is C 18-19.

bbspdstr Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:00 pm

Unobtanium-inc wrote: ....even Porsche stuff since the Factory is sponsoring our bags now.
You must have an "in" (or pay a royalty) if you get away with the super-sacred crest on a T-shirt......in the '70s, I got a "cease and desist" letter from the legal-beagles at Porsche for having that crest on my business card! Makes ya wonder how much Max Hoffman got for drawing that design on a cocktail napkin?

Unobtanium-inc Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:04 pm

Bruce, are you asking me to kiss and tell?

bbspdstr Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:13 pm

Who and who?
Yeah, I'd like to hear your get-outta-jail card tale.....but "in writing" may not be a good idea.
G'nite.

MMW Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:03 pm

Bruce, What spots do you have reserved for the swap? Trying to make a list of vendors to visit & since I don't know what anyone looks like I figured this would be the way.

bbspdstr Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:21 pm

Mic, I'll find that and post it tomorrow, as the paperwork is in my truck. This year, more ID is required...stickers and such for vehicles...tightened up by HERCO (Hershey Entertainment Company or somesuch) and another reason to get set up on Friday.
I know I have 4 spaces at the end of an aisle and my black aluminum enclosed box trailer will protect us from the......uh-h-h.... sun...yeah, that's right....sun.

I must throw some sure-sell in that trailer! The first $160 of sales goes to replace the cost of the spaces! Nothing fun is cheap anymore.

If Sir Goodiebag is reading, I'm taking more old Registries and Panos and other car mags...and while going through a Walmart today on my way to Sporting goods for divider boxes like you'd put fishing tackle in...but in my case, carb parts....I passed through the toy section and saw Matchbox Porsches......not really relevant to your quest for give-aways...a 917 and a Panamera.

bbspdstr Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:14 am

OK, Everett, I tried to comply by copying and pasting my errant posting where instructed, now I can't go eliminate the first because the thread is locked, so "no editing is allowed."

It's all Adam's fault.........

Unobtanium-inc Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:53 pm

Oh, I got it, blame on the guy with the pretty hair!

MMW Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:35 am

Heading out in about 15 minutes. It's 9:30 am on Friday.