TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Pulley removal
bbspdstr Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:37 am

A fun topic, so I asked for permission to post it here.
"Bruce,
A Newbie on 356 Talk asks how to get the bolt off so he can plate it. I didn't dare put the following on the list:

In the old days we put a combination wrench on the bolt at about a 30 degree angle. A pad of 4 or 5 shop towels folded double was put on the sheet metal to the right of the pulley. Pull the coil lead and hit the starter. That loosens the bolt most of the time. To tighten, put car in gear, helper standing on brakes. Tighten the bolt as tight as you can get it by hand, then with the wrench at about a 30 or 40 degree angle, hit it with a big hammer!

Probably too brutal for the guys on the list."

To my reply, I added a picture of a more genteel way I made over 30 years ago. I use a wrench I couldn't locate quickly for the photo-op, not the 3/4" drive 30mm socket (1-3/16") I also said that a new pulley bolt may be cheaper than plating.

malibubill Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:35 am

Hey Bruce:

Any chance of borrowing that tool? The pull the cable from the coil and hit the starter trick failed miserably when I tried it. I suspect loctite use by a prior owner but cannot prove it since the bolt isn't out.

Bill

roy mawbey Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:12 pm

Bruce,

You are the guy :D Love that sort of info. I saw that question before anyone had answered. Even if I had made such a lovely tool as yours I could not post of course any answer on there.

Common sense and instant thinking great post.

Roy

bbspdstr Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:39 pm

My post is not a good result, as some Internet providers want to limit not only access (like I now can't use Mozilla-Firefox to log in) by amount of reply (IE, as I am on now). I was going to post that the quote was from Rich Shilling, a great wrench in his own right.

Yes, Bill, you can borrow that tool, but it needs to be returned ASAP as I never know when I'll need it for service work. Please call the shop to arrange.

Many pulleys are being clad with a Speedi-Sleeve nowadays. The one pictured is cracked next to the keyway but is secure enough now that it's "banded" and won't leak, either. Depending on muffler type, we can sometimes blast that pulley bolt off with an impact wrench, but it still needs to be held for torque when reinstalled...unless it's in gear, brakes on by an "assistant".... :wink:

malibubill Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:41 pm

Thanks Bruce. As soon as Mrs. Sampson's kitchen has completed its stint in rehab so I'll have a little garage time I'll give you a call. :D

MMW Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:32 pm

Bruce, does that tool have two or three pegs? Can't see if it has one on the bottom.

Tom_Kathleen Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:16 am

It would be better if it only had 2 "pegs". Then it would work on 4 hole & 2 hole pulleys. Tom

MMW Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:36 am

Tom_Kathleen wrote: It would be better if it only had 2 "pegs". Then it would work on 4 hole & 2 hole pulleys. Tom

Yes that would make sense.

Ivan Fuller Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:02 pm

I made a similar tool for removing/installing the fan from the generator - before I got a rattle gun. Though I tend not to use the rattle gun for installation.