TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Best place for subwoofer in Vanagon?? Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
greenraVR6 Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:43 pm

After installing a pioneer cd player and some polk audio coax speakers in my van it's become very apparent that a sub is in order to actually have a good sounding stereo. I've searched but haven't found much about where people have installed a sub. I'm debating between building a center console with sub in it (not concerned about blocking access to the rear) or maybe building a box under the jump seat. Or maybe something under the rear seat.

Just looking to get a nice full sounding system, not something that's gonna set off car alarms a block away. Sorry if this has been covered before but pics or links to build threads would be great. I'd like to use a 10" sub or maybe 8" at the smallest...

Syncronoid Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:09 pm

Bazooka under the bench seat. I have mine on top of my Propex. Adds just the right amount of base to the van.

Steelhead Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:40 pm

Tube under the bench would be easiest. If you search a bit you'll find a number of people that have successful put a boss unit under the driver's seat.

I'm really pleased with my solution, but it took some trial and error and more fabbing/modification than most people are interested in undertaking. It's specific to a carat, so I'm not sure how things would fit behind the side panel of a regular vanagon.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=364184&highlight=subwoofer+carat

SteveVanB Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:54 pm

Under the rear seat for sure. I have an 8" in a Kenwood enclosure. It sounds like a 10"! Something about the acoustics of these vans.......

thummmper Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:25 pm

dogs in your vanagon is another thread [scotch talking]

I am reading this a day later and see no dog ref anywhere....duh

photogdave Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:33 pm

thummmper wrote: [scotch talking]

This should be an emoticon - to save time !

1621 Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:20 am

I managed to shoehorn an Infinity Basslink under the bench seat near the cabinet (passenger side). The sound is superb, and doesn't overpower the rest of the system. I've also removed my rear heater and covered the opening with a painted aluminum screen. Plenty of sound to fill the cabin, and lots of space remaining under the bench for gear storage and camping supplies.

syncrodoka Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:27 am

I dropped one of these self powered subs under the driver's seat(that is where my battery is). I had a bazooka under the back seat but I wanted to free up some real estate for bigger items and put the sub under the seat.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PT/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PT.html?tp=114

Timwhy Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:27 am

Mine is just a spaeker box on the floor. In this pic it is shown behind the passengers seat. I have since
moved it and the wiring to the front of the rear bench. Since I never have passengers in the back of the
Westy, it's not in anyones way. When the bed is down, it's still not in the way but you can move it to a
better location between the front seats if you like.

chojinchef Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:55 am

Timwhy wrote:

Looks like you have raves in there. All you need now is scantily clad hotties sucking on lollipops and feeling your interior panels cause they dropped E.

Timwhy Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:58 am

chojinchef wrote: Timwhy wrote:

Looks like you have raves in there. All you need now is scantily clad hotties sucking on lollipops and feeling your interior panels cause they dropped E.

And, how would you know this?

chojinchef Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:02 am

Only what I was told :wink:

Timwhy Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:03 am

chojinchef wrote: Only what I was told :wink:

Right!

seanjenn Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:23 am

I'm going to be putting a box behind the passenger seat, similar to timwhy's set up. Makes for a good footrest and I can remove it for more cargo space if needed.

90Doka_Guy Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:37 am

I made an enclosure stuck my 10in under the rear bench. I had the same goals as you, full sound that I could hear cruising down the highway but nothing over the top. I put the amp under the pass seat and ran the output wires under the mat to the sub box. I have 4in Boston Acoustics in the stock locations and the setup is just right for me.

I had originally made a box and put the sub under the center bench, but after a while I preferred to have it out of sight.

yellowvan Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:40 am

I wish I had a picture, cause I love the location of mine. I've got it mounted to the closet wall, facing out into the back area. I cut a hole in the wall and then enclosed the back of the sub in the cabinet with plywood. I can still use the cabinet, which I have put shelves in. It has been really nice, and took up some dead space that I never used. I like putting sleeping bags and other things under the bench seat so I didn't want it there. There is also less stuff to rattle with the vibrations in the closet.

shorepig Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:50 am

I think the location of your woofer should be determined by your priorities and the quality/caliber of the rest of your audio system.

What does the rest of your audio system consist of (speakers, amps, sound materials), and how how is it installed (location).

Take into consideration rattles....subs shake everything which can be good for feeling bass, but bad for rattling camper interiors and your cutlery drawer!

I have a 10" sub with about 350 watts feeding it, some component speakers in the front doors, and 6x9's in the rear bench. All speakers are fed by 100 watts each. I have found that the best and cleanest sound is achieved with my sub box between the front seats. Here, the bass is tight and clean, but it is awkward to climb around. If I put the sub behind my bench seat on the bed, it still sounds great but some of the "punch" is lost. The bass is more muffled.

If you do mount your sub somewhere and have to cut into your interior, keep in mind your resale value will drop.

THE SINGLE BIGGEST IMPROVEMENT I MADE TO THE AUDIO IN MY CAMPER WAS INSTALLING SOUND DEADENING MATERIALS!!! Our vans are tin boxes, which amplify road noise, and like to rattle under the influence of bass. Do some research and focus your efforts on this. It makes a huge difference in these vans. I am not exaggerating.

GWTWTLW Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:55 am

I have an 8" bazooka tube under the rear bench. Sounds great. I have the Amp mounted on top of the heater box.

joseph928 Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:23 am

syncrodoka wrote: I dropped one of these self powered subs under the driver's seat(that is where my battery is). I had a bazooka under the back seat but I wanted to free up some real estate for bigger items and put the sub under the seat.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PT/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PT.html?tp=114 :bay_blue: X2- put a Boss there sounds great put the sub control on top of the steering column . It fits so good and tight no need for bolts. Cost under $100.00 Ebay. :D

outwesty Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:46 am

syncrodoka wrote: I dropped one of these self powered subs under the driver's seat(that is where my battery is). I had a bazooka under the back seat but I wanted to free up some real estate for bigger items and put the sub under the seat.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PT/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PT.html?tp=114

Will it fit under a westy front seat ?