TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Remote oil filter Page: 1, 2  Next
Fabinstein Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:36 pm

any of you guys running a remote oil filter on your engines? I want to run one and want to make sure i get one that fits properly. I saw the gene berg one but its kinda expensive. any other options?

supersuk Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:10 am

Another option would be to make your own system to fit your car. This gives you the oppurtunity to place the remote filter anywhere and run your lines to avoid your header. This is the route I took and prolly cost me about $150 which includes the AN fittings, Lines, Pump, Gene berg pump cover, and the remote filter.

Mike Fisher Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:43 am

Build up your own remote filter system and mount the filter on your rear engine hanger.

Fabinstein Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:45 pm

supersuk, got any pics?

im good with building my own the only issue i have is what fittings do i use on the GB plate? i mean, what will fit there? its super tight with the engine hanger.

supersuk Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:58 pm

My engine is not currently in the car and I also don't have an engine hanger to worry about. I had to ground out the back portion of the fan housing to make this fit. The fan housing is pretty thick in that area, prolly 1/4" or so...What I used was a street elbow and a 45AN fitting for the exit from the GB cover and a street elbow and straight AN fitting for the entrance back into the block. You will most likely have to cut out some holes in your engine hanger to make the full flow system work. If you can, i'd prefer to do the actual type 3 mod to the block for full flow since it will be able to work with the engine hanger no problem and you'll be able to use the OEM oil pump cover.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=464011&highlight=full+flow

This is what my GB oil pressure cover and fittings look like. Its similar to Brent's and Max Welton's setup. Sorry the picture isn't so good, but this is all I have at the moment. Try look at Brent's and Max's setup.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=491135&highlight=full+flow

Paul Wilson Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:03 pm

Take a look at my thread. "Getting the 66 back on the road"
Paul

jaransonT3 Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:52 pm

I used half of the rear hanger bar when I did Sophy's filter. Didn't need it for the engine support since she is a swing axle 66. It should give you some idea of the fitting required and the clearancing of the rear hanger bar. This required no clearancing of the fan shroud.

Fabinstein Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:00 pm

paul, what size hose is that? looks like -8? and what size tap did you use in the block?

Paul Wilson Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:01 pm

Fabinstein wrote: paul, what size hose is that? looks like -8? and what size tap did you use in the block?

It is AN-8 or the same as 1/2" hose. 3/8" NPT thread. Be aware that AN-8 braided teflon hose doesn't flex well. I have noticed some using smaller. But I was advised to go with 1/2" minimum to maintain good flow thru the fittings.
Paul

Brent Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:40 am

I used the Berg kit. I think if I were to do it again, I'd make 2 custom AN fittings to replace all the fittings. Be sure and check the positions of whatever fittings you use with the shroud clearance when you put it together; it's a tight fit but you can get away with not having to cut anything.

Notice the rounded corner of the fitting coming out of the pump cover, that's needed to clear the shroud. It comes like that in the kit IIRC.

You will have to modify the hole in the IRS hanger if this is going into your 69.

W1K1 Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:56 pm

it is much easier to work with if you have the case mod done.
It needs to be done by someone who can weld the mag case, or if you have an aluminum one any good welder could do it. I had mine done by brothers when they did the line bore and opened up the cylinder holes.

the passage is tapped and plugged between the outlet and the inlet.

Fabinstein Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:50 am

thanks a ton guys!! going to be ordering parts this friday!

Fabinstein Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:49 am

anybody know the thread size of the fitting comeing out of the gene berg plate? im ready to order parts but i dont know the size...

W1K1 Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:17 am

3/8"npt

Fabinstein Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:48 am

thanks man!

MOCHABILL Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:52 am

Fabinstein wrote: anybody know the thread size of the fitting comeing out of the gene berg plate? im ready to order parts but i dont know the size...

You might want to read this post about drilling the case,not type3,but still gives info that would be helpful http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6547516#6547516

:)

W1K1 Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:56 am

Same for a T1 case
http://www.superbeetles.com/performance101/dec.htm

W1K1 Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:09 am

Check your ports in your filter housing too, some come with very poor casting and flash left behind.
Before

After

There was a whole thread in the performance forum about fixing restrictions in the oil system.

Fabinstein Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:43 pm

is that the remote oil filter part?

supersuk Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:11 pm

Yep