TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 4-cam engine stampings
Steve Heinrichs Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:35 pm

Guys,

Now, we've talked about the internal number stuff...

I am told that, in addition, there may have been two letters stamped on the case for the initials of the main guy responsible for that motor build. I am no where near my motors to look.

Anyone seen this?

Steve Heinrichs

356JAEGER Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:39 pm

Steve,
Haven't seen it but have heard the same story a few times over the years.
An urban P car legend or ?

Steve Heinrichs Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:41 am

Joel,

Could well be a legend that morphed from the truth about the internal numbers.

I don't know but will figure out. Hopefully, a number of 4-cam owners will look and advise.

Steve Heinrichs

CarreraGT Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:06 am

Engine serial number P90x xx stamped on the front left half of the Case & 3 numbers stamped on the right half.

-Michael Doyle-

MMW Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:07 am

Steve, do have an idea about how many complete 4 cams are still around? Just curious.

Steve Heinrichs Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:29 pm

The numbers are as Michael notes, but one, two or three digits---not necessarily three.

I believe there were 1702. I have no clue as to how many are left. There were also some blank cases in addition to perhaps 175-200 of the 1702 being spares.

The reason there are not four digits is that each typ ( 547, 692, 587) had a set and no typ had more than 999.

Let me know if anyone sees stamping of two letters for initials.

Steve Heinrichs

Unobtanium-inc Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:27 pm

Steve,
Where are the initials stamped?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1036385
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1036384
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1036383
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1036382

Steve Heinrichs Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:30 pm

Other than I am told on the case, I have no idea.

Steve Heinrichs

CarreraGT Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:34 pm

Unobtanium-inc wrote: Steve,
Where are the initials stamped?

Adam,

I believe that is the original question: As it was reported to Steve that there were 2 letters or initials also stamped on the 4-cam cases. He's wanting to know if anyone can report such a finding.

-Michael Doyle-

Unobtanium-inc Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:36 pm

Right, I just thought he might know approx. where to look. I took most angles of 90640 when I had it, and posted the pics so if we knew kind of where to look they might show up in the pics.

CarreraGT Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 pm

Perhaps it's a story that goes back to a mechanic-engine builder later rebuilding the original motor and stamping his initials on the case. I don't know.

-Michael Doyle

Steve Heinrichs Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:38 am

Well, here is some fun new news:

The initial stampings were on the early motors. Not sure yet if on 4-cams, but seems at least not on "later" ones (not sure yet what that means).

Still, seems they were on pushrods---check out to see if you have a single letter (not two)
:
W
A
B
H
T

Steve Heinrichs

CarreraGT Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:22 pm

Steve Heinrichs wrote: Well, here is some fun new news:

The initial stampings were on the early motors. Not sure yet if on 4-cams, but seems at least not on "later" ones (not sure yet what that means).

Still, seems they were on pushrods---check out to see if you have a single letter (not two)
:
W
A
B
H
T

Steve Heinrichs

Steve - So something like...?

W = Werner
A = Achim
B = Baernd
H = Herbert
T = Tobias

Prost!

-Michael-

Steve Heinrichs Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:27 pm

yes, but seems sometimes first initial and sometimes last. I have 5 of them. There were others, I beleive.

/steve

Steve Heinrichs Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:16 am

Guys,

I believe now that the initials I referred to were not on the 4-cam motors. They were, however, on the earlier pushrods; later, the pushrods went to an internal numbering system as well.

Steve Heinrichs