TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: My 1973 Westfalia refurb/resto Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
dabble Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:08 pm

Hi all,

I decided to start a restoration thread for my 73 Westy. I bought it when I was 18, and I've had it for 11 years. I camped in it over the summers in college and stored it in my parents' barn for a few years before bringing it up to my house in Seattle last year.

This thread will be a starting point for the slow, but quality restoration that I have planned for it.

Here are some pics:

Untitled by Dabble03, on Flickr

I brought it to my house last year, and took it camping last summer after doing some routine maintenance items. I also replaced some of the fuel hoses, brake hoses, and bought new calipers.

My current plans include:
Replace all fuel lines and vacuum lines (waiting on kits from German Supply);
Replace tail lights and rear side markers;
Repaint bumpers;
Powder coat wheels;
Detail entire bus;
etc.

Future plans include reupholstering the rear seats and new curtains (need to get the wife on board for that...)

Just thought I would get one thread started for my ongoing adventure with this car. I love camping in this thing and I'm looking forward to the spring/summer in the PNW so I can use it more!

Bala Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:26 pm

Welcome! That's a nice one, looks extremely solid.
Looks like you need more of a refurbish than restoration. :)

dabble Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:25 pm

Bala wrote: Welcome! That's a nice one, looks extremely solid.
Looks like you need more of a refurbish than restoration. :)

Thanks. It has been a good bus. Changed the title of the thread. :)

GeorgeO. Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:11 pm

Did you use this camper for college purposes? I used my 65 split for just that purpose when I went back to school. I used the camper interior as my office while I studied. No distractions, no one to bother me, just me and my books. It made a great place to prepare for exams.

shiningstar76 Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:42 pm

GeorgeO. wrote: Did you use this camper for college purposes? I used my 65 split for just that purpose when I went back to school. I used the camper interior as my office while I studied. No distractions, no one to bother me, just me and my books. It made a great place to prepare for exams.
Ditto on that one. I did the same thing in my 68 when I was in college. I would often sleep in it as well for just that reason. Nice and quiet.

GeorgeO. Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:38 pm

shiningstar76 wrote: GeorgeO. wrote: Did you use this camper for college purposes? I used my 65 split for just that purpose when I went back to school. I used the camper interior as my office while I studied. No distractions, no one to bother me, just me and my books. It made a great place to prepare for exams.
Ditto on that one. I did the same thing in my 68 when I was in college. I would often sleep in it as well for just that reason. Nice and quiet.

I don't know why college students don't get the clue and drive a westy to school. Not only can you sleep in it but you take a nap right before exams and really do well on the test!

Kirk Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:42 pm

Your bus is gorgeous. DUnno what you need to do resto wise. Enjoy it.

dabble Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:45 am

GeorgeO. wrote: Did you use this camper for college purposes? I used my 65 split for just that purpose when I went back to school. I used the camper interior as my office while I studied. No distractions, no one to bother me, just me and my books. It made a great place to prepare for exams.

I did not have it around during college - too much of a distraction to go drive somewhere and not study. And parking is pretty horrible in Seattle.

Last night I pulled the old crusty tail lights and side markers, and vacuumed the battery tray area. Battery tray is completely rusted through and mostly a big hole - I need to get that repaired next winter.

A buddy who works at Griot's Garage is going to help me detail the whole thing sometime soon to bring back some of its luster.

dabble Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:03 pm

Did a little work this evening - I love the zen of working on this thing. Just took the rear bumper off so I can sand and repaint it this weekend. Not a big project, but still something that I've wanted to do for years. Front bumper will come off tomorrow for paint as well.

Beginning:

73 Westfalia resto/refurb by Dabble03, on Flickr

Middle:

Bumper has dents and some rusty spots that have bothered me for a long time:

No more dent:

Happy Friday night, samba.

dabble Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:20 am

Finished the bumpers and installed on Sunday:

For those that care, I removed, sanded, rust primered, regular primered, then spray painted. Turned out pretty good in my opinion and a lot cheaper than having a body shop do it.

Stuartzickefoose Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:11 am

another seattle camper :D keep an eye on the forums for seattle gatherings my friend....next big one is on the 21st at bellvue college, the springmeet. :)

and there will be lots on bay camping this year in the warmer months, up in the hills. :)

im gonna enjoy watching this thread :popcorn:

dabble Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:46 pm

Stuartzickefoose wrote: another seattle camper :D keep an eye on the forums for seattle gatherings my friend....next big one is on the 21st at bellvue college, the springmeet. :)

and there will be lots on bay camping this year in the warmer months, up in the hills. :)

Stu - You've been to my house... You helped me get the distributor unstuck about a year ago.

dabble Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:48 pm

Got new pop top seals from Bus Depot and installed them today. Very happy with the quality and fit:

Also snooped around the engine compartment and found this - what is it? Does it need to be plugged in somewhere? Or is it diagnostic and leave it alone? 2.0 FI.

VDubTech Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:59 pm

That plug is your TDC connector. Useless and obsolete, but not hurting anything.

Stuartzickefoose Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:52 pm

dabble wrote: Stuartzickefoose wrote: another seattle camper :D keep an eye on the forums for seattle gatherings my friend....next big one is on the 21st at bellvue college, the springmeet. :)

Stu - You've been to my house... You helped me get the distributor unstuck about a year ago.

FINALLY! i couldnt remember what your username was, i lost your phone number, and i accidentally deleted the PMs we sent btween us! haha sorry i didnt keep in touch!

will you be at XXX on the 21st? would love to see you and the bus there if you can make it!

dabble Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:11 am

[quote="Stuartzickefoose"] dabble wrote:
FINALLY! i couldnt remember what your username was, i lost your phone number, and i accidentally deleted the PMs we sent btween us! haha sorry i didnt keep in touch!

will you be at XXX on the 21st? would love to see you and the bus there if you can make it!

haha, no problem.

I didn't know there was a meet on the 21st. Details? I don't have anything planned for that weekend yet.

Stuartzickefoose Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:53 am

dabble wrote: Stuartzickefoose wrote:

haha, no problem.

I didn't know there was a meet on the 21st. Details? I don't have anything planned for that weekend yet.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6432941#6432941

then your should keep an eye on this thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6585898#6585898

that was the last meet up i rounded up...new events coming up will be put there usually. :)

now...back to that wonderful 73 westy you have.....;)

Joeys1969 Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:00 am

Nice bus man! Always loved the orange ones :)

Joey

dabble Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:45 pm

Replaced the fuel lines and vacuum lines today. Also rattle-canned my rusty windshield wipers.

Gonna take it to Springmeet next weekend. :D

Millennium Falcon Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:31 pm

dabble wrote: Got new pop top seals from Bus Depot and installed them today. Very happy with the quality and fit:

Please make sure that rain water can drain past the seal around your luggage rack. I am not sure if you installed the seal or not, but there was never a seal installed there from the factory. This edge was left bare.