TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Opinion on monstaliner for rockers (EDIT:DONE, with pics) Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Red Beard Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:32 pm

Ok, recently asked about spray can crap for rockers, did a ton of research and reading on some 4x4 forums, and stumbled across this stuff which I am settled on using to do the rocker panels on my 1990 Vanagon which is pastel white/L90D:

http://www.monstaliner.com/

$135 for a gallon kit with rollers, more than enough to do what I want. They say it rolls on at 40mil thickness, it has the best texture (in my opinion) of any of the DIY products, its UV resistant, and lots of reviews say its easy to apply, super tough. 4x4 guys seem to love the stuff.

AND! It comes in either black or several color options:
http://www.monstaliner.com/forms/monstaliner_colors.htm

Was planning on doing the standard black, but then thought maybe white? Or light gray? Or?????

Anyone have an opinion about what would look best?

More photos of the stuff on various projects:
http://www.monstaliner.com/monstaliner_photos_video.htm

And some photos I found of someone's vanagon covered in the stuff:

Bntbrl Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:38 pm

Lets see a pic of your setup and go from there...

Red Beard Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:44 pm

Bntbrl wrote: Lets see a pic of your setup and go from there...

Plain old white Vanagon (minor body work not done yet in this pic.)

AdrianC Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:48 pm

Red Beard wrote:

I quite like that...

Central Syncronizer Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:53 pm

Hi Red Beard,

Just do what ever you want to. If you've done the research about the product and are happy with it, then just pick your color and go for it.

You are going to get a bunch of opinions from out here in computer land that won't make any difference.

Its your ride. Oh yeah, and I did mine black :wink:

cheers,

Jay

joseph928 Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:07 pm

X-2 on black, I like the contrast! :D

vw7266 Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:18 pm

do the whole van!

carterzest Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:46 pm

AdrianC wrote: Red Beard wrote:

I quite like that... IdahoDoug will approve as well.
I think I may do my SyncWest in Predator Green 8)
I wonder how much it would take to coat a vanagon?

Nachtfalter Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:14 pm

The names of those colors is downright cool. Looks like a cool product.

Do anything but "i want to be like everyone else" black. There are lots of cool colors there, use your imagination... I like "coppa feel" personally.

Red Beard Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:25 pm

carterzest wrote: IdahoDoug will approve as well.

I found a vid of some gal who did her whole full size pickup, including inside the bed, with 2 gallons.

MayorMcCheese Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:09 pm

Dark Burnt Orange over the whole thing!

Bntbrl Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:24 pm

Not to hijack the thread but... I've been contemplating this as an entire refinish approach. I didn't buy my westfalia as an investment but I did get a beat up body cheap and clean inside. I'm sure it'd be easier to sell a cream puff with shiny Macao paint over a liner coated camper though would it not?

If I were concerned about resale I might not even spray the rockers black on the OPs van. I'd spray a clear or matching color about 3 inches up from the pinch weld. There's spray bomb rock chip that's used for production auto body, Wurth I think being a better one.

luVWagn Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:09 pm

Red Beard wrote: carterzest wrote: IdahoDoug will approve as well.

I found a vid of some gal who did her whole full size pickup, including inside the bed, with 2 gallons.

The fellow who did this (Glenn) has a web-site: http://www.tosimplify.net/2013/03/have-wings-will-fly.html

He mentioned that 2g covered his van, but that there were a few spots he wasn't satisfied and was ordering another 1g to do another coat.

purplepeopleeater Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:15 am

Don't forget about Rhino liner, its $130 on ebay and can be tinted.

comes with a spray gun or you could roll it on.

Bntbrl Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:15 am

I was talking to my buddy about rhino liner. I know rhino liner is hard to get off once applied. Going over the whole van and having to repaint a wrecked area would be a pita to get removed.

I guess you could just keep spraying it to build up after metalwork and do it bobo.

I tend to bump rocks and trees a bit on the trails and liner would be a good substitute for scratches. Fixing dents the right way would be more difficult, but painting would be easier. Blending the paint over the adjacent panel would be hard so you might have to brick it and wait for it to dry then dry brush the adjacent panel for transparency to blend the new matched color.

I've replaced a heck of a lot of bedsides with it on and it was never really easy to remove so I could get a weld going. I never really tried too hard, just ground it back a couple inches but it didn't go fast.

Red Beard Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:19 am

purplepeopleeater wrote: Don't forget about Rhino liner, its $130 on ebay and can be tinted.

comes with a spray gun or you could roll it on.

I don't like the rhinoliner texture as much, too coarse and 60 grit like for my tastes.

Red Beard Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:21 am

I am toying with doing it in white, but I think it might be a poor match b/c the L90D will probably look darker/dingier in comparison.

Red Beard Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:39 am

Fishing around their site more....on the "comparisons" page there is a lot of interesting info, obviously a bit biased, except for the following pics
http://www.monstaliner.com/monstaliner_comparisons.htm

Bntbrl Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:58 am

I'd like to see how different rollers changed texture.

Christopher Schimke Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:13 pm

Red Beard wrote: I am toying with doing it in white, but I think it might be a poor match b/c the L90D will probably look darker/dingier in comparison.

It says that they offer free chip samples. I would order the "Killer Beej" and see how that looks with the L90D. If it is too dirty looking, "Desert Sand" might be just dark enough to give a good contrast with the white without going too dark. Otherwise "Sans Panties" would make a nice, high contrast with the white.