TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 356 Coupe Bodies?
domo1977 Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:25 am

Hi
Does anybody know of a supplier of GRP (fibreglass) Porsche 356 Coupe bodies/kit cars that fit to shortened VW floor pans? any leads greatly appreciated!

cheers!

Kubel Nick Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:53 am

There was only a couple manufacturers of 356 coupe body replicas around the 70's and 80's I think, both from South America. Both very well done, one of them were sold in an Authorized Porsche new car dealership. Both are rare and collectible and now worth as much or more then real 356 coupes.

Real coupes aren't that much expesensive, you can easily find one for $5k or less. Not too many kit car manufacturers would be willing to compete with real cars that would sell less then then replicas, just not good business really.

[email protected] Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:23 pm

http://www.streetbeasts.com/nuindex55.html

Kubel Nick Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:18 am

Street Beasts don't sell 356 coupes. There are dozens of speedsters/vert replica companies out there but the person's asking for a coupe replica.

humfrydog Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:59 am

i just posted a ad for a 356 parts car if that helps.

Jim DuBois Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:34 pm

I have been looking for one of the coupe replicas for some time. Envemo was one of the companies who made a really great replica Super 90 coupe. I was able to look over a couple of them in detail about 1989 or 1990 in Houston. As suggested they were pretty expensive but very very well done.

Here is a follow up I had with the importer last year.

I met Jim Simpson at a Houston car show. At the time my headquarters was in a rented building in Humble, Texas and Jim had a nice new facility that he had built in The Woodlands, a much nicer area of Houston's suburbs.

I moved my shop into his place and we started doing some business together. Blue Ray GT was his company, but indeed have Puma's, and other cars from my line.

I remember the fire damaged ENVEMO (stands for ENgineering of VEhiles and MOtors), but do not know of any currently available in the USA.

It was my all time favorite replica (356C Coupe) and a fine car indeed.

It is actually because of this very model that I first met Chuck. We were both displaying our products at an L.A. car show. 1982 I think it was.

I'll keep my eys open for an ENVEMO for you if you like. There are (or were) about 60 brought here according to my records.

Fred Hurst Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:57 pm

Hello, I am the US representative of a company that does manufacture 365 coupes as well as speedsters, spyders and speedster/carreras. And yes, it is possible to find and purchase a relatively cheap 356 coupe but everything about the restoration of these cars is quite expensive. Can you imagine having an airconditioned reproduction 356 coupe with disc brakes and a potent, relatively modern and inexpensive AC/VW driveline?

Jim DuBois Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:32 pm

So, Fred, is there a web site or someplace to get some information on the coupe?

thanks

Fred Hurst Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:47 am

Jim,
Unfortunately my web page is still in the works, I hope to have it up soon. I represent a manufacturer that has a 25 year history of classic reproductions, Premier Classics de Mexico. Raul also manufactures a removeable hardtop for the Speedster. You can check out his site at
[url]speed356.tripod.com/classicars/
I know that he has pictures of the hardtop but not the coupes. I can PM you pictures that I have but I must warn you, it looks just like a 356 coupe :D .

Thanks[/url]

Jim DuBois Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:49 pm

Fred,

I would be interested in full information and pictures of the 356 coupe, as well as technical details such as engine , transmission, kit or turnkey, suspension/chassis details, fit and finish details, prices, availability and just a few things like that.

I am able to build a "kit" myself, I have rebuilt 3 already, so other than turnkey would be the way I would like to go.

thanks,

gitchesum Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:04 pm

Bumped to the top...I would love to have a coupe body...