TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Painting ABS replacement interior panels for my '78.
pdlstl Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:38 pm

What type of prep needs to be done and what type of paint would I need to buy to paint the black ABS interior panels?

TIA,

Earl

scrivyscriv Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:48 pm

From what I've worked with and researched, plastic just needs to be really clean when you paint it. Wipe it down with solvent, tack cloth it, then use an adhesion promoter spray for plastic, then plastic paint. The biggest problem with painting plastic is that it always has a mold release film or some kind of oils on it that make paint flake off.

pdlstl Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:52 pm

Thanks!

BUSBOSS Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:06 pm

Here my two cents:

Wipe the panels down with paint thinner and a lint free cloth.

Then use Krylon Fusion paint that is designed for plastics.
http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/

GeorgeO. Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:18 pm

Just make sure there are no big chunks on the surface and get you some Rustoleum Plastic paint. I used Nut Meg for my panels.

pdlstl Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:22 pm

Thnx!

Hal9000 Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:44 pm

x2 on the adhesion promoter. It's just good insurance against peeling no matter what paint you use. Think of it like primer for an automotive finish.

pdlstl Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:40 pm

Thanks! I located the adhesion promoter online and now know what to look for.

And GeorgeO. - Thanks for posting that pic. I had seen it before and was really wanting to find it again but didn't know where to look. Your panels look really nice!

Earl

GeorgeO. Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:23 pm

pdlstl wrote: Thanks! I located the adhesion promoter online and now know what to look for.

And GeorgeO. - Thanks for posting that pic. I had seen it before and was really wanting to find it again but didn't know where to look. Your panels look really nice!

Earl

Good Luck Earl and hope for your success. Send us some pictures when your done. :D

pdlstl Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:20 pm

10-4. Will do!

werksberg Sat May 24, 2014 4:21 pm

Body shops spray plastic bumpers with Bull Dog to promote better adhesion of the flexible paint.

The same thing with ABS panels...

highlandhoh3 Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:06 pm

Worked for me. Prep with 600 paper for anything shiny and wipe with acetone. (Careful with the acetone as it will eat away at some plastics. - like the Brazilian mirrors. Use denatured alcohol then. I don't like mineral spirits as I think it leaves a residue.)

The stuff "fuses" with the plastic so you can not even scratch the first coat, like with some "normal" paints.

Even worked on a gray PVC pipe! Couldn't even sand it off.

I also found the damn cap color of the cans is not a great match for the actual paint inside with some colors. Like a tan or beige "River Rock - 2323." River rock? Would indicate grey you would think. The colors on the online companies web sites seem a little off too.

Spray cans can not be returned if shipped.. Fed regs. So be careful of the actual color, and customer service polices of online sites.

Ace Hardware has a good selection, reasonable prices and the ability to 2 day order from their warehouse. Walmart is hit or miss. Home Depot is Rust Oleum. No brick site seems to carry all the colors.

Hope this helps someone.