TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Vermont Vanagons Unite! Next meet: TBA Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
SyncroScott Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:05 pm

Calling all Green Mountain Vanagons! Owners and fans of Westies, Syncros, DoKas, and Transporters wanted!

Looking to form a totally informal but fun group of like-minded Vanagon folks for moral support, technical help, story/lie swapping, relaxed gathering, and hopefully some cruising around the region!

We are few are far between here in VT, but I know of at least 5 or 6 other Syncros alone here in the BTV area and would love to connect with some of them and other Vanagons too. There are already two or three others who want to do the same so let's get rolling, shall we? God knows my wife would be so relieved if I had someone other than her to listen to me ramble about water boxers and viscous couplings...HA!

If anyone's interested in VT, or even the surrounding regions of NY, MA, and NH just speak up here and spread the word. If you are more into the Facebook thing just search out Green Mountain Vanagons and let yourself be known!

Cheers and hope to meet you soon!
-Scott

insyncro Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:15 pm

See ya over on FB

xoo00oox Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:25 pm

I don't live in VT but am in the state very often, I live in MA 20 minutes from the border. I'd be interested in a weekend hangout.

SyncroScott Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:41 pm

Hello, my name is Scott and I'm a Syncro addict. I've been one for about a decade.

I started with an '87 flat-top I bought sort of unexpectedly at a local auction. I went to buy a Subaru... but when I saw the blue van roll in and noticed the front axles, my hand shot up. It's been a helluva ride ever since!

My second, a '90 flat-top, is nearing the final stages of a nearly total mechanical restoration (with added modifications of course), most of which I've done myself so far. It's currently at Sterling Motorwerks, in South Burlington getting a Subie 2.5L conversion installed. Once completed later this spring, I hope it will open up many more roads that may lead to many more future adventures!

Let's meet up for brunch at The Spot some weekend soon (or let's start spit-balling other ideas if that doesn't float your boat). I hope to make your acquaintance soon!

-Scott

Atadloco Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:43 pm

Facebook bound...

crukab Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:32 pm

Oh man, you just missed a Vermont Vw GTG Saturday:

2 Syncros & a Bay transporter !!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=549764

I know at least a dozen Bus guys or couples in Vt.
Here are a some of my Vws:

SyncroScott Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:45 pm

Oh damn!

Let's start some networking to see what we can get together in the near future. As a Syncro guy I'm a bit biased but I'll hang with any other local rear-engine VW folks just for the camaraderie!

-Scott

Salem7 Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:41 pm

5 minutes from the border! Keep me posted.

danfromsyr Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:15 am

the Upstate NY based Empire VW camping club has traveled thru Vermont a few times on our longer excursions. you guys have someg reat roads and country as well as good campgrounds. from Woodford Mtn in the south to MT Philo (small) or the DAR on lake Champlain or Groton State forest in the NE..
when we started our camping club we just picked 1 place a month and a few committed to being there.. then others will come like Westys to a campfire. :wink:
also when I was talking with VT parks they were more open towards a VW group as being a defind "group camp" to get a better nightly rate..

a bunch of us from NY (and around New England) make it to the LIMBO West River Westies in Townshend, VT in July. this might be a good place to gather and promote a unified VT camping group as well.

I'll be stopping there again on our summer Empire camping Treffen coming back from a VW group trip to Saguenay Fjord in the Quebec St Lawrence. maybe I'll see you there/then?

Dan Stevens
Co-Founder Empire VW camping club.

insyncro Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:18 am

I have tried to make that West River event for years.
I really need to soon.

cheekoman Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:29 am

Hey Syncro Scott.

I'm in Essex/Burlington and I'm psyched to hear there are some folks that want to meet up. I'd be down for sure.

PAUL IRISH Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:21 am

I am near Troy,NY and always looking for a reason to go to VT, my family is opiginally from Essex Junction. I have a 82 a/c adventurewagen and yesterday went to Congers NY(downstate) to an a/c thing, first trip of the year. Went to John's place in Westminister 2 times last year and Manchester in the fall.

SyncroScott Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:07 pm

Hey Volks!

Great to see more interest! Keep your eye on this thread and check back in: I'm feeling really positive that we're gonna get something rolling here soon!

-Scott

SyncroScott Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:23 pm

Hey folks!

:arrow: Drum roll please.... There will be gathering at Oakledge Park in Burlington, on May 5th, from noon-ish until whenever. I'll be bringing a grill and some dogs, veggie burgers, and some soda. Bring your Van (or Bus), the family, and some stories! Several of us are already committed to showing up so c'mon and join us! :D

howardvw Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:19 am

working on some alignment stuff, so i hope to drive the truck, if not itll be the bug.
ps- if anyone skates, the burton bowl is right near this park, its not a scary as you think, for us older skaters..

big swifty Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:55 pm

Damnit Janet! I'm out of town that W/E. Retuning from Boston on the 5th. Depending on my timing...

SyncroScott Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:30 pm

big swifty wrote: Damnit Janet! I'm out of town that W/E. Retuning from Boston on the 5th. Depending on my timing...

Hey no worries, just glad there is some genuine interest; we'll be doing it again soon with a bit of luck!

vw54john Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:49 am

Unless the weather forecast is really horrible, I'll be riding up from CT.

cheekoman Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:08 am

Sweet... looks like we're going to have a solid turnout! Keep your fingers crossed for good weather!

SyncroScott Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:53 pm

Yeah, the turn out could be decent for the first gathering if all who have showed interest can make it! Getting pretty encouraged. I too, second the wish for good weather!

-Scott
(please don't ostracize me when I show up in a Golf...hey better than my Jeep)