TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Seattle Folks - We are bringing back OktoBUGfest Nov9th Page: 1, 2  Next
miketolliver Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:47 am

Seattle Folks - We are bringing back OktoBUGfest Nov 9th

So I have been working for two years to make a winter meet possible here in Seattle that unlike PNWSpringmeet is truly indoor aka with heat of the winter.

Well we have applied to Monroe County Fairgrounds ( Evergreen Speedway ) They recently built a new expo center that is just large enough to make it happen for the car show and vendors. Plus is next to a large barn for swap spaces.

Its not a done deal yet , but its time to start to evolve you folks to get ideas .

How should this be different ? Should it be the same ? Should we ad a theme like Oktoberfest ( BEER) ?

Robert Fish spoke to Jay Oliver and we have the go ahead to do this , and this will be a happenstance event production.

We know that something's will be different do to the structure of the contract with county.

1.Counties need there taxes and requires us to tax parking , entry and other items.
2.we'll need to seal gas tanks and unhook batteries
3. walkways will need to be 4ft or 8ft
4. parking fee's might not be able to a charity ,we are pushing hard to keep this. They are asking for a huge tax on this - work to be done there.

Anyways , put your ideas here and let us know so we can work on them. I'll get some venue photos shortly.

facebook
https://www.facebook.com/okotobugfest
website at www.oktobugfest.com ( working on )

miketolliver Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:54 am

Bldg A is the new Expo center . Bldg B is swap space building . The red outline is what we think we are getting for space . Parking is across the street.

joe56vw Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:26 am

i think monroe fairground is a great place for a event
one question i have is will the oregon folks be willing to make the drive that far north?

the one request i have for all show/swapmeets is that the swap space be big enough to park my bus in and unload my items to the side facing the walkways of the crowds

also $20 a swap space would be great but as long as it's $30 or less it will still be worth it

miketolliver Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:52 pm

joe56vw wrote: i think monroe fairground is a great place for a event
one question i have is will the oregon folks be willing to make the drive that far north?

the one request i have for all show/swapmeets is that the swap space be big enough to park my bus in and unload my items to the side facing the walkways of the crowds

also $20 a swap space would be great but as long as it's $30 or less it will still be worth it

Well Oregon folks its 20 to 25mins form springmeet , but if your driving from PDX or further 20mins not a big deal. Also this the last chance to buy or sell before you work on your project all winter.

Swaps spaces I hope will be same as springmeet unless the venue prices make us raise the price . spaces will be like 20x20 or 20x10 . hard to say until I get full layout

thank you for your comments , whos is next ?

miketolliver Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:52 am

checking in with folks

We still have not heard back on our application for Oktobugfest Nov 9th .

So what if we made the early am event ?
Will the eastern Washington folks be able to get over the passes ?
Will cold rusty bits be a good as wet rusty bits ?
Can the 1200 and 1300 guys even run ion cold weather ?
Will the warmth of old friends keep you warm when you walk between buildings ?
Can we bring back indoor cars shows ?
What about valve cover racing ?

sixfootdan Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:33 am

Sounds cool, I hope it pans out.

joe56vw Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:52 am

So what if we made the early am event ?
-most shows start around 8-9am

Will the eastern Washington folks be able to get over the passes ?
-i don't think the passes are to bad in early nov. usaully

Will cold rusty bits be a good as wet rusty bits ?
-we are from the pnw if we didn't use cold wet rusty bits we wouldn't be able to do anything for 8 months out of the year :D

Can the 1200 and 1300 guys even run ion cold weather ?
-1200 and 1300 run better in the cold then big motors do

Will the warmth of old friends keep you warm when you walk between buildings ?
-real pnw people dress warm man up and are use to it :D

Can we bring back indoor cars shows ?
-octobugfest was really popular before i'm sure it will be again

What about valve cover racing ?
-go for it

joe56vw Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:30 pm

so what's the word on this show? if it's still going to happen you should start promoting it now so all the east side and Oregon people can make plans

miketolliver Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:51 pm

joe56vw wrote: so what's the word on this show? if it's still going to happen you should start promoting it now so all the east side and Oregon people can make plans

We are GO !

Our Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/okotobugfest
FB event
https://www.facebook.com/events/169946753158695/
Website
www.oktobugfest.com
Registration
http://oktobugfest.bigcartel.com/

miketolliver Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:35 am

just ordered some new banners for this event.

Wanna register to be inside ?
http://oktobugfest.bigcartel.com/

We have indoor \ outdoor and Swap spaces open

miketolliver Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:02 am

Any questions ?

joe56vw Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:53 am

your pre-registration site will not let you pay with a credit card if you have a paypal account
I don't have money in my paypal right now so I tried to put it on my card and it wouldn't accept it because it wants to use my paypal account

very frustrating ended up using my gf card but seem to be dumb that it won't let you use another payment choice without it wanting to use paypal first

miketolliver Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:14 pm

joe56vw wrote: your pre-registration site will not let you pay with a credit card if you have a paypal account
I don't have money in my paypal right now so I tried to put it on my card and it wouldn't accept it because it wants to use my paypal account

very frustrating ended up using my gf card but seem to be dumb that it won't let you use another payment choice without it wanting to use paypal first

Sorry Joel to hear that , I'll let my bigcartel folks and paypal rep know to fix for the future. We were at XXX Rootbeer and signed a ton of folks up as well.

miketolliver Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:20 pm

So where does it all stand

Pre-registration is right on track for a first year back show. You can pre-reg till end of the week. 2nd of Nov . http://oktobugfest.bigcartel.com/

Cars show still has lots of spaces

20x20ft swap spaces are sold out , 10x10ft spaces for 415 are doing well to fit in . The Rag Man and few NW staples will be in there.

Last week Griots gave us samples for the goodie bags and our lanyards arrived as well.

Today the awards and oil pads arrived . Later this week the signs and stickers and the shirts arrive.

If you really really want a show shirt get one ASAP at the event. When we ordered we did have the faith or money to order a ton.

empiracer Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:52 am

5 days to go !

miketolliver Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:07 am

Pre-registration is closed for OktoBugFest

At this point its pay at the door , we had to stop to mail all packets to pre-reg folks. On sat 8am jump in the non-pre-reg line and we'll get you right in. Lots of room left folks -mike

empiracer Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:43 pm

I received my pre reg. packet , I have a question , what time will you be letting Show and swappers in for setup ?

joe56vw Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:43 am

empiracer wrote: I received my pre reg. packet , I have a question , what time will you be letting Show and swappers in for setup ?

x2

empiracer Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:51 pm

Shortly after my post I received a group email that informed that they'd be letting pre reg in at 7am

empiracer Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:10 pm

Thanks Mike the Show/swap was fun! I thought the venue was great with plenty of room for growth, perhaps it should be considered for spring meet as well.