TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Sun visors - what are these from ?
kevm Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:19 am

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone confirm what model / year these sun visors are from ?

The pics aren't great but they have a fine grid pattern rather than the cris cross pattern I have seen on others I searched for. They are stamped with the GHE logos.

Thanks
Kev

kevm Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:30 am

roy mawbey Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:55 am

Kev,

First impression thought they were A T2 version. But the only photo to hand of mine shows the different style vinyl covering which you can just about see.

Will look more closely at mine.

Roy

MMW Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:55 am

They do look like T2 visors but the pattern is wrong. I measured mine, (T2) & they are 4.5" x 13.75" approx. Neither one of mine has a mirror though. My material pattern looks like Roy's pic. All of my brackets have two screws each. The material in one of your pics (3rd from top) almost looks like fabric? Maybe they were recovered at some point?

Sorry couldn't identify it for you.

bbspdstr Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:29 am

http://www.stoddard.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=17897

I hope this helps.
Compare those on the Stoddard site and others they offer as well. They offer single screw pivots for the chrome frame cars.
Here's some off-topic thoughts;
They are excellent replacement parts for those like we (pros) used to scrub and solvent clean, open up, clean out, derust frames of, add foam sheet into, reseal and spray with vinyl coating...for about the same cost as what they now sell for new. Not difficult to justify the price and I hope the line expands to all the visors used in 356s.

roy mawbey Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:14 am

Hey Mic,

My original sun visor on the passenger side of my 'A' also seems never to have had a mirror the same as yours. There is no trace of any glue they might have used either.

Does that make you think the visors shown are actually from the later series cars? I had a 'C' for some years and for the life of me can't remember if a mirror was on the passeger visor?

Roy

MMW Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:44 am

I looked in Neils book & it didn't show anything for or against. So I looked on another site & found this.

http://www.porsche356registry.org/356talk/13/29390.html?hilit=sun%20visor

Although it's for T5/T6 356B. Haven't found info on the T2 A yet.

Although it's only a dwg. the T5 sunvisors (in the above link) look similar to T2 but the T6 have a total different shape.

roy mawbey Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:50 am

Thanks Mic,

That does confirm mirrors could be supplied on the visor. My 'C' was an early one produced in 63. I should have taken more photos than I did then but no digital camera at that time :(

Roy

bbspdstr Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:47 pm

Courtesy of my friend Dr. Brett and his RevII book, but with more from the parts books. The T-6 book has the doctored picture of visors on the "dashboard" page to show new (numbered) and old (un-numbered) and later in the verbiage, the admonition that while those un-numbered are in the T-5B book with their part numbers, the Cabs still used the early visors and those had the mirror on the one, (but no mention of RHD anomalies in T-5 or T-6 versions). It's the same illustration in the T-5 and T-6 books with the addition of the T-6 mirror and rear view mirror parts, a 2-fer for Porsche, as the T-5 visors continued with the Cabs.
So, visors followed windshield glass. A-B-all Cabs took the short front glass and more-or-less symmetrical and similar visors (passenger visors with mirrors, at least on LHD cars, maybe T-2 but at least '60>) and higher (T-6 Coupe) glass got the wider visors. But enough of that.

More to the point is.......what about the unfamiliar texture pattern in the original post? Another variable that snuck by from GHE? Maverick abnormalities? Recovered in their sordid pasts? Generic visors from a Borgward or Opel or 190 M-B? Was the single screw pivot cut off or broken or from a D/Rdstr? Were they assembled from random donor pieces? Is there stitching around the perimeter that the photos don't show? (The originals were heat-sealed.) Are the slotted clamping screw centers 235mm apart like a 356 A-B-Cab has?
All I am sure of is that there is a 356 "expert" somewhere out there who will offer a definitive answer to all of this, right or wrong.

roy mawbey Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:06 am

Bruce,

Excellent info on sunvisors. Yes, I thought of MB 190 as well. You are correct, I wonder as well if the edges are stitched or heat sealed?

Thanks a lot for posting that.

Roy

kevm Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:28 pm

Hi Everyone,

Apologies I forgot to check this thread for responses, I spend most of my time in the VW forums. Thanks for all the replies, do I assume then these are not from a 356 ?

I took some better pics, the hinge with only one screw hole is broken unfortunately and the seam is heat sealed rather than stitched ...

Thanks
Kev

Brad Ripley Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:05 pm

Certainly not Porsche 356. What is common is the chrome end caps and the slotted screws. Happich (GHE) made them.