TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Nice top/lower-body color that isn't white for a brown van?
rlamb Fri May 03, 2013 10:24 pm

ME: I have an '84 westy, that was repainted in '08 by the PO in the original Aswan Brown (LH8B). I had some body work done via my insurance as well, which was cool, because it took care of the only rust spot. My van really does look nice now. Not perfect, but all clear-coated and shiny...

My pop top roof is original, and I'm thinking about refurbing it. A cool dude I know here with a very cool Syncro applied a very cool looking bed liner to the front and lower body of his van. I dig it, and feel inspired. Got me wondering if I could match the base boards, front , and the pop top with the retro rust-brown I have.

QUESTION: Technical things aside (i.e., paint brand and application process), anybody have pics of a paint job whereby the top was not painted white, and the top matched the lower body paint (preferably a bed liner)?

Even better, pics of this where the body was Aswan Brown and the top and/or lower body was royal blueish or....mustard....or....reddish....or? ideas?

NAYSAYERS: I know Aswan Brown is not the favorite color on here, but I actually like it's retro appeal. My wife hates it. But, BROWN IS BACK! http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/brown-turned-red-hot-color-cars-trucks-185920022.html
There's all kinds of new cars driving around here with some brown scheme going on lately. I feel so hip... 8)

Syncroincity Fri May 03, 2013 11:19 pm

Well, she's a Fall, so stick with neutral colors, earthtones, gold, muted reds, beiges etc.

Factory 2-tone used light beige. I'd stick with a light color if you're matching the top, for heat reduction.

Personally, I like the color. Have you seen Winston's paint job thread?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=547860&highlight=winston

slo356 Fri May 03, 2013 11:59 pm

You're right, white is the wrong two tone for your brown.

How about an Ivory as in '58 Porsche Ivory? Has a lot of brown in it.

Tan or Khaki? A little darker. OR go crazy with orange!

Personally, I don't understand the bed liner texture on the body - me thinks it looks cheap...oh well, to each his own.

Try Googling or Binging two tone Vanagon in images.

Have Fun

djkeev Sat May 04, 2013 3:45 am

The original brown is a great color! It's fairly unique and rare as well. I'd keep I and revel in it!

Bed liner on the body sides? Eh! Not a fan.
Consider Resale of the unit if you do this. I'd wager that most people would pass on purchasing a van with a rough textured body.
There has One one for sale in the classified for a long long time. I know I'd pass, who wants to deal with that mess!

On rockers? Ok, makes some sense but not on the lower below the Windows.

Good luck!

Dave

rlamb Sat May 04, 2013 6:29 am

Quote:

I've seen some of winston being wehabilitated, but I had not seen a good pic of winston. Iknow the lower-body bedliner isn't for everybody, but it looks great here. He's purrrty.

rlamb Sat May 04, 2013 6:33 am

slo356 wrote: You're right, white is the wrong two tone for your brown.

How about an Ivory as in '58 Porsche Ivory? Has a lot of brown in it.

Tan or Khaki? A little darker. OR go crazy with orange!

Personally, I don't understand the bed liner texture on the body - me thinks it looks cheap...oh well, to each his own.

Try Googling or Binging two tone Vanagon in images.

Have Fun

Found this pic here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=306327

I like the cream/tan/ivory idea. I wouldn't do a bed liner that color, but a dark brown below might work with a cream top on an orange van.

akyrie Sat May 04, 2013 7:26 am

I am in the same boat, with an 82 diesel 3 color agate brown and ivory mix. The white pop top looks way to WHITE compared to the rest of the van.... at least yours is asuan brown, one of my favourites. I know everyone's got their personal taste, but I have had this mocha van for over a year and still haven't got used to the color scheme yet! maybe painting the top will be the cure??

msinabottle Sat May 04, 2013 7:07 pm

The beautiful Assuan Brown van with the SQUARE HEADLIGHTS and the SHEET METAL BUMPERS... and it is beautiful--AINT WINSTON! But, yes, he IS purty... Ecce:

and...

and...

That is NOT bedliner! That's 3M Rocker Panel Spray, it's elastic and UV proof, and will hopefully shrug off rock chips. He's also got 3M Van(heh)guard Film on his nosecone.

I'd leave my fiberglass white to shed as much heat as possible, the Assuan Brown and the Gloss Black is taking away the breath of everybody who sees Winston. The '82 Aircooled IS a pretty color scheme--but, no regrets!

Best!

Syncroincity Sat May 04, 2013 8:30 pm

That's actually a photoshopped paintjob on the Syncro, I wasn't implying that was Winston, sorry. :P

Playing with paint samples helps a LOT when deciding on something like this, also maybe print out a few dozen line drawings of a vanagon and experiment with markers and colored pencils.

rlamb Sat May 04, 2013 9:43 pm

I get it! Either way, the vans all look nice. I'm looking into a cream top color now. A dark brown rocker panel color would be nice, but one thing at a time (dash is coming off in 2 weeks!).

mg93108 Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:03 am

This is a great forum question.
There are a lot of boring brown, tan, or beige vans that could look good with a splash of color.
So easy to do, and cheap, on these vans,
I'll post pics when I'm finished.

djkeev Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:07 pm

vespa93103 wrote: This is a great forum question.
There are a lot of boring brown, tan, or beige vans that could look good with a splash of color.
So easy to do, and cheap, on these vans,
I'll post pics when I'm finished.

Color??? No!!!!!! I'm English ..... We fear color! Tweed is wild!!!!!

Savannah Beige Metallic with Beige Interior...... Ahhhh...... Heaven

Syncroincity Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:43 am

I really wanted to turn this;

...Into this

Ivory and Bamboo Yellow, love this combo.

Unfortunately I have to sell the Westy. :roll:

msinabottle Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:15 pm

So very sorry... I hope circumstances permit another whack at your dream...

I hope it's something you can soon come back from. Note the background of the song!

Best!

rlamb Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:46 pm

Resurrecting an oldie I posted a long time ago... I FINALLY got to painting the top which turned into an all out restoration.

I went with Interlux Pre-Kote primer (3 coats, 1 1/3 quart) and Interlux Brightside paint in Hatteras Off-White (2 coats, one quart with a little left over) .

I LOVE this color. It doesn't retain heat from the sun and it won't blind you like straight white.

The primer is WHITE as white can be white, and I tried to get a few pics of the off-white color next to it for comparison. Really amazing results. The primer is really tough in a great way. Used it on some of my interior panels as well.

Here's a link to an Interlux color card: http://www.yachtpaint.com/LiteratureCentre/topsides-colorcard-usa.pdf

Here's pics....before, during, and some after. I stole my kids' crayons to do it right. :evil: Just got the top on today and am working on screwing down the new tent....slowly....in oppressive heat by day. More pics to come.

djkeev Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:34 am

Very nice!

That's a great feeling to have that task completed....... I know!

I see you used the bigger carriage strap loops that accept rope and hooks like I used. 👍
I find the large rope loop much more user friendly for any method of fastening cargo onto the luggage carrier.

Dave

rlamb Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:57 am

djkeev wrote: Very nice!

That's a great feeling to have that task completed....... I know!

I see you used the bigger carriage strap loops that accept rope and hooks like I used. 👍
I find the large rope loop much more user friendly for any method of fastening cargo onto the luggage carrier.

Yes, same ones. Got them from West Marine for about half the price of the GoWesty stainless ones, and I prefer these too. I used big fender washers and stainless machine screws to attach them. I got the idea from Alistair's blog.

https://shufti.wordpress.com/2011/06/14/vanagon-westy-luggage-rack-footmans-loops/

drier-grape Thu May 20, 2021 12:06 pm

I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd post a pic of my van. PO painted the top to match the assuan brown. At first I wasn't a fan, but now I can't see the white-topped brown vans without feeling like they're suffering aesthetically. This is a pretty sharp look!

(also, look how clean it was when I bought it! I need to wash mine....)

valvecovergasket Thu May 20, 2021 1:11 pm

oh wow
on paper i wouldnt be so sure about that, but seeing a picture - it looks really sharp!