TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Deck Lid - Bed Modification w/ TDI Conversion Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
matthallett Sun May 05, 2013 4:31 pm

I've spend some time search the web and the samba but not having any luck.

I'm looking for a way to modify the rear bed in a westfalia so that the rear bed is still usable when TDI install has happened and you are looking at a 4" to 5" raised deck lid in the very back...

Essentially looking for a recommended way for the bed to still lay flat when it is laid out... Possible?

Any help is much appreciated.

Alternatively, if anyone has just cut the top of the deck lid to allow for two things to poke out but remain safe, I'd love to hear about it. I'm having a new Pumpe Dusse 15 degree engine installed in the a 91 Westy Syncro. The oil filler cap and the EGR valve are the only things that are sticking up.

hans j Sun May 05, 2013 4:45 pm

I'll be doing mine this week so I will post pictures when done. Pretty much I am going to build an aluminum box that will cover the hole in the decklid. I'm installing a piano hinge on the aluminum box so all the stuff is accessible without removing the entire lid.

I'm going 2.5-3" above the lid so I am getting new 3" foam to go around the box, then 1" foam on top of that and then likely a memory foam on top of that the full length of the bed when set up.

The inside of the aluminum box will be sprayed with fire resistant expanding foam and covered with noise dampening and heat resisting material.

So far in my head it's working, but I'll see this week how it goes!

jstar89crx Sun May 05, 2013 4:56 pm

What motor are you using? I was able to build my cover so the top of it is the same height as the seat when it is folded down. Then you have a level surface to work with. For a long time I just carried two of the stock rear mattress pads and slid one off the other to make the bed. Then a few years ago I switched to using 2 REI camp beds side by side. This was the winning combination, it is much more comfortable than stock and my wife and I can customize the firmness of our own sides.
All of my pictures and lots of other pictures can be found on in the Yahoo vanagon tdi conversion group. I am in Bellingham if you ever are in the area and want to check it out. Good Luck!

matthallett Sun May 05, 2013 5:11 pm

jstar89crx wrote: What motor are you using?

I'm going with a new TDI Pumpe Dusse from Eurospec Sport. It is a brand new Canadian engine.. probably similar to a 2002 Golf or similar..
ATD is the Canadian Pump Dusse. (USA is the "BEW" version I think).

danfromsyr Sun May 05, 2013 5:36 pm

though no one's really laid it out here yet,
but the easiest way is to use the rear bed/bench from a bay bus westy
its seat height is good for sitting & it's bed height is about 5in taller

jstar89crx Sun May 05, 2013 5:48 pm

Quote: easiest way is to use the rear bed/bench from a bay bus westy

That is a good point. I did my conversion to a passenger van and then put a westy top on it. If you are converting a westy I heard there is a way to raise the entire back seat up and then you can just use the stock pad in the back.

big swifty Sun May 05, 2013 6:32 pm

Reimo makes a set of hinges that raises the bed enough that, in combination with the raised deck lid, enables the use of the stock pad.

I'm using it.

pnwkayaker Sun May 05, 2013 7:12 pm

I believe the following seat bench mounting kit is what you'll need http://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/GuenzlClassicParts..../333000359.

If the link doesn't work, go to www.vwbusshop.de and search for product no.: 333000359

You'll need to create a small box/platform over your engine lid that will align with the raised bench. I don't have a TDi, but I'm thinking on geting this to gain some extra storage space for tools or camping seats.

MarkWard Mon May 06, 2013 1:00 pm

matthallett wrote: jstar89crx wrote: What motor are you using?

I'm going with a new TDI Pumpe Dusse from Eurospec Sport. It is a brand new Canadian engine.. probably similar to a 2002 Golf or similar..
ATD is the Canadian Pump Dusse. (USA is the "BEW" version I think).

If you search the username Jabba here, he documented a PD install at 50 degrees that did not require a raised deck lid. On my ALH there are 3 things that seem to interfere. The serpentine tensioner, solvable. The oil filter housing, I suppose solvable, and the injection pump, not so solvable. I have a cut out in the deck lid with a small aluminum box lid. I made a plywood deck to flatten the area out. We store our stuff over the engine and sleep up top. Search my name in the gallery.

svenakela Mon May 06, 2013 3:01 pm

I have a the original lid with a few cutouts and raised covers. Not disturbing at all and it is actually impossible to feel the bumps through the bed.

This is what it looked like before I added the bumps to the lid. The little hole for the oil vent isn't needed.

rlamb Mon May 06, 2013 3:30 pm

big swifty wrote: Reimo makes a set of hinges that raises the bed enough that, in combination with the raised deck lid, enables the use of the stock pad.

I'm using it.

Could you offer me some more info big swifty? I really want the rear seat to fold in a RAISED position, so it is flush with the foam over my raised engine lid. I'm thinking about asking my friend to weld something (I have some ideas), but buying hinges for even $100 would be easier and probably nicer looking.

I don't have a fancy TDI (wish I did), but I bet my raised lid is bigger than yours. :wink:

nemobuscaptain Mon May 06, 2013 4:25 pm

That looks painful.

MarkWard Tue May 07, 2013 7:18 am

rlamb wrote: big swifty wrote: Reimo makes a set of hinges that raises the bed enough that, in combination with the raised deck lid, enables the use of the stock pad.

I'm using it.

Could you offer me some more info big swifty? I really want the rear seat to fold in a RAISED position, so it is flush with the foam over my raised engine lid. I'm thinking about asking my friend to weld something (I have some ideas), but buying hinges for even $100 would be easier and probably nicer looking.

I don't have a fancy TDI (wish I did), but I bet my raised lid is bigger than yours. :wink:

What is under that?

rlamb Tue May 07, 2013 7:24 am

rsxsr wrote:

What is under that?

It's rebuilt 2.8l Ford Cologne outta '79 Mercury Capri. This is an old pic, things are cleaner now. Runs nice. PO had the conversion 10 or more years ago by a shop.

ARMc Tue May 07, 2013 8:47 am

Since I bought my conversion I didn't have much say in how all the details were executed. The deck lid came to me as shown, with no provisions for making the bed work right. Simple and cheap solution, high density foam. The rear does sit about an inch or two higher, but strangely doesn't seem to affect my ability to get comfortable and fall asleep.

High density foam. by Andr:ew, on Flickr

Bed. by Andr:ew, on Flickr

?Waldo? Tue May 07, 2013 1:57 pm

Which TDI do you have installed? The AHU/1Z/AFN installed @ 50° fits under the lid or rather under a piece of sheet metal fastened to the top of the ribs of the lid, even on 2WD vans. The ALH installed at 15° sticks up 3 inches on a 2WD van. What's up with yours?

big swifty Wed May 08, 2013 6:03 pm

Andrew A. Libby wrote: Which TDI do you have installed? The AHU/1Z/AFN installed @ 50° fits under the lid or rather under a piece of sheet metal fastened to the top of the ribs of the lid, even on 2WD vans. The ALH installed at 15° sticks up 3 inches on a 2WD van. What's up with yours?

As Travis Bickle said: Yo tawkin" to me?
If so - ALH @ 15° .

?Waldo? Wed May 08, 2013 6:31 pm

No I was asking ARMc. I always try to use the quote feature if not replying to the previous post. As I see it, there is no logical reason why anyone would have a 1" raised lid with any TDI install, especially on a 2WD vanagon as stated in his sig.

But, Bigswifty, I'm curious if you have any links to the Reimo hinges. They sound like they are the Bay westy hinges which is what I am using on the 15° ALH install I am currently working on.

hans j Wed May 08, 2013 6:49 pm

My cover might be 2-3 inches above, on a syncro... But that means I have 11 inches of ground clearance with stock springs and my skid plate.

I decided to sacrifice the decklid room for ground clearance, I'm going to be need one a whole lot more than the other!

big swifty Sat May 11, 2013 8:29 am

rlamb and libbypappadiesel -->

Label from the box:

Link:
http://www.reimo.com/de/58001-sitzbankbeschlag_mit_anhebung_vw_bis_8_89/