TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Any one tried the GoWesty Vacuum Throttle switch ?? Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
stubear334 Fri May 10, 2013 8:51 pm

Sorry if this has already been asked, but has anyone tried the GoWesty vacuum throttle switch ??

Stu

madspaniard Fri May 10, 2013 9:12 pm

This is a new product released two days ago by GW. I wonder how it compares to Tencent's option, which I have in my van.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=502625&highlight=tencent

insyncro Sat May 11, 2013 5:28 am

Looks promising.

tencentlife Sat May 11, 2013 6:54 am

Well it took them long enough to come to the same obvious conclusions about the unworkability of the stock switch due to the embarrassingly poor design of the throttle body; they've practically copied my own rhetoric on that. It's flattering when someone lifts your idea; a lot of innovators have been flattered by GoWesty already, I guess it's just my turn.

But their product appears to be just a simple vacuum switch. I tried that for awhile, and soon ran into its shortcomings. If that's all it is, it'll work OK with an established setpoint in mild, narrow climates like coastal California or Hawaii, but unless they've incorporated some other controls it won't operate as consistently where the temps vary widely, like almost anywhere else.

For my product we went to a solid-state MAP sensor and IC to compensate for temperature changes and control hysteresis. We found that those features were necessary to provide consistent switching and to avoid the switch fluttering around the setpoint.

Meanwhile, I have a new production run, and my product is also advancing to include new features that will make it usable for more applications, one of which I will be rolling out once we have the new prototypes tested.

insyncro Sat May 11, 2013 6:58 am

Sweet :!:

The GW unit is unpowered and I see your points Chris.

I will get one and test it here in New England.

With the core refunds on the OEM parts, it will cost ~$30.
(just so happens I have about 45 TBs sitting around)

We shall see how it fares.

tencentlife Sat May 11, 2013 7:17 am

Yeah well now that I've mentioned what is functionally necessary, I'm sure their little elves will get to work on copying that stuff. No biggy, it's not a money-maker anyway, I call it my only end-cap item.

tschroeder0 Sat May 11, 2013 7:18 am

TC's unit has been well tested by many here.
I installed it while in Alaska, drove for months throughout AK, all the way to the Arctic ocean. Then on to San Fran for several months, across the country back to Co.
No issues whatsoever from coastal climates to the desert and at high altitude cold places it solved all the herky jerkyness of the stock switch, and the need to make adjustments.
It works so well that the tech involved gets forgetten about, no doubt it's there!
Todd

insyncro Sat May 11, 2013 7:21 am

GW seems to have a complete FI system coming out as well.

I wonder if this switch is part of that?

If it is going to have issue outside of Sunny Cali....I hope GW makes some changes and fast.

t3 kopf Sat May 11, 2013 8:00 am

any kind of timetable on this? i know you say on your website not to ask when its coming back and all. im kind of flirting with the idea of grabbing just the center portion of a 2.1 intake plenum and new 2.1 throttle body with this go westy unit (edit-im talking about doing this on a 1.9l), but being that your product is obviously tested and proven it might be worth it to me to wait. this go westy unit is not very costly and being that most go westy products are unreasonably priced (in my opinion) that tells me something about the quality of their unit. tencentlife wrote: Well it took them long enough to come to the same obvious conclusions about the unworkability of the stock switch due to the embarrassingly poor design of the throttle body; they've practically copied my own rhetoric on that. It's flattering when someone lifts your idea; a lot of innovators have been flattered by GoWesty already, I guess it's just my turn.

But their product appears to be just a simple vacuum switch. I tried that for awhile, and soon ran into its shortcomings. If that's all it is, it'll work OK with an established setpoint in mild, narrow climates like coastal California or Hawaii, but unless they've incorporated some other controls it won't operate as consistently where the temps vary widely, like almost anywhere else.

For my product we went to a solid-state MAP sensor and IC to compensate for temperature changes and control hysteresis. We found that those features were necessary to provide consistent switching and to avoid the switch fluttering around the setpoint.

Meanwhile, I have a new production run, and my product is also advancing to include new features that will make it usable for more applications, one of which I will be rolling out once we have the new prototypes tested.

tencentlife Sat May 11, 2013 8:35 am

Well after a long delay I have circuit boards on hand, they have to be finished to be sent out which will be done within the next couple weeks. The number is limited at this time, but I am back to having batches made periodically.

Once I have offered all the people on my wait list the opportunity to get theirs, then availability will be open again. If you are on my wait list you will get an email when one is available for you, and if you're not on my list then watch the website because I will change it when they are openly available again.

tencentlife Sat May 11, 2013 8:40 am

insyncro wrote: GW seems to have a complete FI system coming out as well.

I wonder if this switch is part of that?

It appears not to be, but since their system isn't on offer yet one couldn't say definitively one way or the other. But that's pretty OT, so that's all I will say about that on this thread.

BillM Sat May 11, 2013 10:22 am

I was wondering if the core parts they seek might be part
of what they need for their "new" engine managment system.
What other reasons would they want these parts for unless
they need them for their in house builds that will be purchased
by people in cold climates?
I did email them and ask if they wanted the pile of throttle
switches I have for some extra bucks. I would like to grab
another set of fox shocks. The company I sold the throttle
bodies to didn't want the extra switches and harness
I have. It was late on Friday when I emailed them so haven't
heard back yet.
I like the positive vibe about them attempting to copy you 10C
. I have seen others let stuff like that make them miserable.
Besides everything I have read and seen about yours has been
nothing but positive.

tencentlife Sat May 11, 2013 7:13 pm

Thanks for that, Bill.

vanagonjr Sun May 12, 2013 6:13 am

BillM wrote:
I like the positive vibe about them attempting to copy you 10C
. I have seen others let stuff like that make them miserable.
Besides everything I have read and seen about yours has been
nothing but positive.
Nothing against GoWesty at alll, but that alone be enough to make me buy the 10cent version.

tencentlife Sun May 12, 2013 8:28 am

Well to be fair, I couldn't claim with any certainty that they're copying my idea, to anyone intimate with the workings of engines the principle involved isn't too far out, and multiple people have the same ideas all the time.

It doesn't matter that much to me either way, as I said above my product is quite a bit more advanced, and is advancing further, and in the end if GW with their deeper pockets and wider promotion managed to corner more of the market for this widget it wouldn't cause me to lose any sleep since the VSM doesn't make me a lot of money for the effort. Like I said, it's more of what they call in retailing an "end-cap" item, something small and satisfying that is inexpensive enough to be bought on impulse, but in the process establishes a relationship between the customer and the vendor that may bear more fruit in the future. At least it's not a "loss-leader"! And, it's a delivery vehicle for stickers!

I have nothing but admiration for GW as a successful business and for Lucas as a smart and sharp businessman, they do a fantastic job with this market, and those of us in this business understand that we all have our shortcomings and we all make mistakes with regularity. I'll be critical where it is due but that doesn't diminish the fact that they operate on a solid foundation of quality goods and workmanship and customer service that would be the envy of almost any comparable business.

But I really appreciate all the support people show here for me and my stuff, it reminds me I'm on the right track, too.

insyncro Sun May 12, 2013 10:34 am

tencentlife wrote:
But I really appreciate all the support people show here for me and my stuff, it reminds me I'm on the right track, too.

Buddy, you are on the right track and have been such an influence on so many....including myself.
I just built up a waterboxer for one of my 91 Syncros and at breakin made me smile.
I by no means went to the length you do with rebuilds, but she's a runner Bobby :!:
Now for that exhaust and your future switch....yee haw!

For anyone who doesnt know, I have been blessed with awesome vans and amazing conversions to build and maintain....but at the end of the day, my shop highlight has been dealing with a complete Vanistan/RMW engine install.

A vacuum switch really smooths out the management.

remraf Sun May 12, 2013 8:25 pm

tencentlife wrote:

Not to thread hijack but do you mean you'll be offering this in conjunction with a new product?

tencentlife Mon May 13, 2013 6:59 am

I think that's what I said.

This thread has become about me, and it shouldn't be, so I'm tuning out, except to say thanks to Dylan, that's high praise.

Maybe someone will try the GW widget and give the OP a report.

Steve Arndt Wed May 22, 2013 8:25 am

I may be crazy and have a special van.
87 Syncro
2.3 RJE engine
Tencent VSM

My engine drives smoother at very low RPMs in town with the stock throttle switch. The VSM has a more abrupt transition from decel fuel cut back to normal drive mode. I can easily feel it. I sent the VSM to Rocky for him to test and he found the vacuum line split inside. He repaired and I am testing it again. The performance with the VSM is enhanced under wider throttle openings and I can feel more power when gunning it taking off. But at very low throttle openings getting on and off the gas at light loads the stock switch is smoother for me.

Does anyone have an idea how the Go Westy unit can handle full throttle enrichment? It seems like their device is only handling half the duty of the stock switch and 10C VSM.

Steve

stubear334 Wed May 22, 2013 9:42 am

I just installed the GoWesty switch & can feel an abrupt power bump when accelerating. Nothing major, just noticeable. Change your driving style & everything is fine. MUCH better than the stock setup.

Now, on the top end, I found myself flooring the pedal more often. Still, no big deal. After all, who is going to redline their waterboxer? It was kinda like a safety feature for the motor !

Big thumbs up!

Stu