TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Basketcase '60 Page: 1, 2  Next
Lidpainter Mon May 13, 2013 5:15 pm

I've been working on this car for a while and thought I might as well start a thread for it. I picked this car up a couple years ago. It was in poor shape and incomplete. No rotted but really neglected. The body was rust free except for a dime-sized hole on each side....oh, and somebody had cut the roof off at some point.

[/img]

Lidpainter Mon May 13, 2013 5:32 pm

Roof on and rag clip grafted in.

Test fitting redone pan.

Epoxy primer.

Lidpainter Mon May 13, 2013 5:48 pm

Freshly painted Mango.

Body back on.

More assembly.

GLHTurbo Mon May 13, 2013 5:54 pm

nice work! looks great.

Culito Mon May 13, 2013 6:03 pm

Looks fantastic. Love the mango.
What are the suspension specs?

Lidpainter Mon May 13, 2013 6:09 pm

Suspension. Well..it has a Ger*Fab 4" beam. I plan to run shocks. The rear has Sway-A-Way torsions and Womack notched/extended spring plates. None of this is adjusted yet. Once I get an engine in it I'll figure out the height. I am thinking somewhere, maybe half way, between stock and stupid.

gostros Mon May 13, 2013 6:15 pm

Looks great. Did you paint it yourself?

Lidpainter Mon May 13, 2013 6:28 pm

Did everything myself. And I do mean myself. Had to even take the body off and on without assistance. I am confident I can do it all but the headliner install does make me nervous.

chickengeorge Mon May 13, 2013 8:24 pm

Lidpainter wrote: Did everything myself. And I do mean myself. Had to even take the body off and on without assistance. I am confident I can do it all but the headliner install does make me nervous.

If you had friends...

chickengeorge Mon May 13, 2013 8:25 pm

Lidpainter wrote: Did everything myself. And I do mean myself. Had to even take the body off and on without assistance. I am confident I can do it all but the headliner install does make me nervous.

If you had friends...

Lidpainter Tue May 14, 2013 6:11 am

chickengeorge wrote: Lidpainter wrote: Did everything myself. And I do mean myself. Had to even take the body off and on without assistance. I am confident I can do it all but the headliner install does make me nervous.

If you had friends...

Admittedly, I have none. At least none within 800 or so miles of me. Thanks for the reminder.

chickengeorge Tue May 14, 2013 6:42 am

Lidpainter wrote: chickengeorge wrote: Lidpainter wrote: Did everything myself. And I do mean myself. Had to even take the body off and on without assistance. I am confident I can do it all but the headliner install does make me nervous.

If you had friends...

Admittedly, I have none. At least none within 800 or so miles of me. Thanks for the reminder.
If you'd quit photo shopping them into compromising positions with people contradictory to their sexual orientation...

cseay1 Tue May 14, 2013 7:05 am

Lidpainter wrote: ....oh, and somebody had cut the roof off at some point.

any idea as to why?

Lidpainter Tue May 14, 2013 7:10 am

cseay1 wrote: Lidpainter wrote: ....oh, and somebody had cut the roof off at some point.

any idea as to why?

You'd have to ask the previous owner. When I first saw this car there wasn't one on it but I have no idea why. The P/O put this roof on the car before I towed it home as part of the deal but I am not sure if it was the one that was originally cut off or if it was from another car.

Lidpainter Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:43 am

Almost done now. Some interior work and glass still to do. Got a 36hp installed, switched to a narrowed German beam, disc brakes and some Atomwerk needle bearing 2" spring plates. I think I may need to run a new fuel line also.

midman914 Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:12 pm

Did you find this car in Michigan? It looks really nice by the way. Nicely executed. I love that color.

Lidpainter Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:35 pm

midman914 wrote: Did you find this car in Michigan? It looks really nice by the way. Nicely executed. I love that color.

Thank you. It was a Michigan car but I bought it in Indiana. It's a mystery to me why it was not rotted to dust like most of ones I see from around here.

Lidpainter Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:07 am

So it's been a while. Lots of assembly and other nightmares but it lives. Paint has to be redone in a couple places that don't quite match but otherwise it's on the road.

63Ragtop NZ Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:38 pm

very nice!

=D> =D> =D>

how about some more pics and details?

Bashr52 Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:40 am

Lidpainter wrote: So it's been a while. Lots of assembly and other nightmares but it lives. Paint has to be redone in a couple places that don't quite match but otherwise it's on the road.

He is alive! Hi Lid! Looks good.