TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: fuel reg for ecotec
Blackoutt Tue May 14, 2013 7:23 pm

I know a lot of the guys are running a summit racing fuel reg that's 30-65psi. My question is has anyone run a holley? It's only gonna run me 40-50 bucks vs the $100 on summit racing. I would think it would probably be even better since its not cheap Chinese crap, but I figured I would ask your guys opinions.

Secondly, on a hydraulic pedal setup, all you need is the slave for clutch correct? Then master cylinder for brakes and cable for gas...

Thanks

72Pstroke Tue May 14, 2013 7:52 pm

The Ecotec has a built in regulator. I would leave it in place and use it.

I am using the cable clutch, so I am no help on that.

Tim

Sandbar Norm Wed May 15, 2013 4:34 am

72Pstroke wrote: The Ecotec has a built in regulator. I would leave it in place and use it.

I am using the cable clutch, so I am no help on that.

Tim

Not all have regulators.
Some are controlled by voltage to the fuel pump (returnless design), some have regulator on the fuel rail.
Mine has a external regulator.
I bought a cheap chinese one and it lasted starting it twice.
Fuel presser broke the diaphragm and shot fuel out the vac tube across my garage. I just had the vac tube caped off. :shock:
I now have a summit, it has been lasting a few years so far.
Norm

Stingray250 Wed May 15, 2013 5:42 am

Find a complete fuel rail off of a early 2.2 Ecotec that has the built in reg... you can find em cheap on Ebay... returnless is really just a hassle on these setups...

I'm using a 255 LPM pump with 440cc GT 500 injectors... a stock rail and a factory regulator for my boosted setup... no problems.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-04-05-Cavalier-Sunfire-...223wt_1400

Dale M. Wed May 15, 2013 7:18 am

For hydraulic clutch setup, yes you need master cylinder at pedal end and a slave at the transaxle (clutch arm)...

IF you do not have built in fuel pressure regulator, look at late model Corvette units, they are a fuel pressure regulator (I believe) and a filter made in one unit, think it has three ports simplifying your fuel system design....

http://images.lmgtfy.com/?q=corvette+fuel+filter

Dale

Blackoutt Wed May 15, 2013 6:40 pm

Ok that's what I thought about the pedal setup, thanks for confirming it.

As for the fuel system, I thought for the guys running a T off the bottom of the tank f

Blackoutt Wed May 15, 2013 6:43 pm

Ok that's what I thought about the pedal setup, thanks for confirming it.

As for the fuel system, I thought for the guys running a T off the bottom of the tank for the inlet and outlet. I thought those guys were running a return line regulator. I could be wrong but that's what I thought I had looked up.

Valen76 Wed May 15, 2013 9:11 pm

Stingray250 wrote: returnless is really just a hassle on these setups...

Why? One less fuel line to run.

Sandbar Norm Thu May 16, 2013 8:25 am

Blackoutt wrote: Ok that's what I thought about the pedal setup, thanks for confirming it.

As for the fuel system, I thought for the guys running a T off the bottom of the tank for the inlet and outlet. I thought those guys were running a return line regulator. I could be wrong but that's what I thought I had looked up.

Thats how mine is setup. Heres a pic of my orig with the cheap reg.

I have since change the reg. and the location of the reg. and using a diff. filter before the pump.
Its been working good for 4 years now.
Norm

Blackoutt Thu May 16, 2013 7:48 pm

Well, I guess my question is are you guys saying there's no reason to even run a return? I'm not dead set on running a return but I kinda figured that was just required.

Like I said I had planned on doing it the exact way norm showed, if there's an easier and just as affective way I'm all ears.

Adrenaline Junky Thu May 16, 2013 9:48 pm

Mine didn't have the internal regulator in the fuel rail so I got a Summit regulator and mounted it to the firewall. Not really a big deal to run an extra 3 ft of line for the return and I kind of like seeing the pressure when it's running. No guessing what the fuel rail is actually seeing.

Blackoutt Fri May 17, 2013 6:39 pm

So just curious... what happens to excess fuel if there's no return?

alexcockerill Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:18 am

Stingray250 wrote: Find a complete fuel rail off of a early 2.2 Ecotec that has the built in reg... you can find em cheap on Ebay... returnless is really just a hassle on these setups...

I'm using a 255 LPM pump with 440cc GT 500 injectors... a stock rail and a factory regulator for my boosted setup... no problems.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-04-05-Cavalier-Sunfire-...223wt_1400

stingray, i just went out and bought a 03 caviller because my first donor was a saturn. now I've got the right fuel rail. what pump do you have? where should i pick it up? i was told a 92 f150 hi pressure pump works well. should i go with one of those? also will i have any problems hooking up braided lines to a stock vw tank? or should i save my money on lines and buy a fuel cell for the back seat?

72Pstroke Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:29 pm

If you remove your fuel tank and take the fitting out of the bottom of it, the ID of the hole in the tank is the right size to tap for 1/4" npt.
It will give you more flow with less chance for cavitation at the pump.
Just don't make any sparks.
Tim
Do you still need a vss tone ring?