TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1.9 TDI Tin top van from INDIA Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
narendra.vw Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:38 am

Hello to all the forum members! I officially became a member few months ago. I have been following this forum when the page was 715. This forum has given me so much confidence to rebuild my van. ( where I live, there are hardly any people who own vans. I find absolutely no parts in a scrap yard.). I had to import any part that I needed.
The following is details of my van when I had bought it in 2011.
1990 model, 1.6 TD 5 speed Tin top RHD
now it’s converted to 1.9 TDI(ALH)
I have complete details(photos as well) of progress in changing the van from 1.6TD to 1.9TDI
If you’re not tired of seeing one more engine conversions, I’ll will upload mine.
To all you Tin top owners, the following photos are some minor changes I have made in my van which might interest you.

bellow passenger seat box. mine is RHD

hand brake easy to reach. pointer shows OE position

all I need to extend the rod.Have done it. It works fine

Sliding door auto catcher open & power locking.

Contact point

Switch shown is to open the sliding door catcher from driver side .I have one in back row seat sorry no photo of it.

Hinged lid

Middle seat bottom space

Golf MK1 tail lamp replacing van tail lamp

OE look

MK1 fixed

Development

insyncro Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:50 am

Welcome aboard.

I like the MK1 lights and use of wood on the dash :!:

BugChit Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:27 am

Hey Nice work..
WoW, can't imagine trying to find or having to ship parts into the country for every little fix or change. Geeze, It's tuff enough for many of us here in the States to find a parts Van in a scrap yard. Also can't imagine the shipping cost and delays or delivery nightmares obtaining parts via out of your country.

Good Luck. and Keep us updated.

joseph928 Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:41 am

:bay_blue: Welcome, cool van and yes post your build we never get enough VW info! :D

ewalt98 Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:34 am

Nice van, I like your ingenuity.

Lets see some more pictures!

shadetreetim Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:20 pm

Welcome and thanks for posting. You've done some neat mods.

narendra.vw Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:07 am

Thanks to all who have appreciated my work. ( Sorry for late response.)
I do have done Electrical Power steering conversion & R&R bed in my own style.(All documented). Since I am new, being in middle of Gaints I am little hesitant.
Bit of EPS Unit

Bit of R&R Bed. Now my van is 5 Seater & 2 Sleeper.

Please let me Know if more Details needed. I can come up with seperate Thread. Thanks.

syncroserge Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:51 am

narendra.vw wrote: ...being in middle of Gaints I am little hesitant.

Giants !? So many here shy away from the ALH at 50 degrees because of the oil pan...
You are a giant in your own way...

I want a picture of that oil pan for my collection :D

Zeitgeist 13 Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:57 am

I like the innovations. I've been thinking a lot lately about how to engineer a split rear bench, which would be way more functional. Keep those pics coming

tclark Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:42 pm

hmm I though ALH would not go under the engine cover
What engine mounts ?

DAV!D Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:14 pm

Nice work with your mods.

narendra.vw Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:16 am

syncroserge wrote: narendra.vw wrote: ...being in middle of Gaints I am little hesitant.

Giants !? So many here shy away from the ALH at 50 degrees because of the oil pan...
You are a giant in your own way...

I want a picture of that oil pan for my collection :D
Thanks , your words will boost my confidence.

Some visuals of oil pan you asked for.

I was lucky to have a Good welder. Zero oil leakage.
Care to be taken, Oil pan should be clean from any oil or dirt.Dry as possible as it can be. After first welding grinding is a mast.Rewelding should be done & also look out for blow holes.

Tried some stange Ideas. Heat resistent transparent 8 mm plate to know oil level. Later, got scared & put back the OE plate

narendra.vw Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:29 am

tclark wrote: hmm I though ALH would not go under the engine cover
What engine mounts ?

I will. Here we go,

OE 1990 5 Speed TD engine Mounts & OE bracket. I Do have routing of air Duct.

Hump on the Lid is 1" thick. Ground clearence from Oil Pan to Ground is 9".

Please let me know how to multi quote. Thanks.

bluefirefly Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:24 am

Great job, I really like your van and all the mods you did to it.
Please, could you post more details and pictures (when you have time of course) of the dash cluster mods (speedo and tack) as well as the electric power steering.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

onemat Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:06 am

Hello Narenda and welcome.
I too like the unique things you have done to your bus.
Please tell me what the "joystick" and flip up switch on the dash is for.
Regards,
Matt

MarkWard Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:21 pm

Hello. I have an ALH in our Vanagon as well. My pan looks a little more homemade than yours. I notice in the picture it is welded just below the mounting flange as well? What was the reason for that? Here is an adapter for the oil pan that requires no welding. Not sure how to buy one though. It is pretty neat. Nice job finding mounts that could be adapted. Mine are all custom fabricated. Only thing stock is the carrier bars and they have been cut and modified too. Thank you for sharing.

narendra.vw Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:37 pm

Zeitgeist 13 wrote: I like the innovations. I've been thinking a lot lately about how to engineer a split rear bench, which would be way more functional. Keep those pics coming

a.Thank you Zeitgeist 13. Since Details carry photos app 20 in no/-, I will upload by weekend.

b. Thanks David.

One small request, please bare with me if Iam late in responding.
1. Time Difference.
2. Iam still a Desktop Guy. :D

I will answer regarding Joystick, dash cluster mods & Oil pan tonight. Thanks.

narendra.vw Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:54 am

onemat wrote: Hello Narenda and welcome.
I too like the unique things you have done to your bus.
Please tell me what the "joystick" and flip up switch on the dash is for.
Regards,
Matt
Now,I feel like I'm part of the family. Thanks for asking.

Front Hot air circulation was pre fixed to Wind Shield & Floor circulation.
Front Dash dummy vents were used in following way. (Please Note:- Van has OE Roof AC).

Right Vent.(My van is RHD).

When delivered to me.

Coustamised to my requirement.

Now operational. Red toggle switch used for Starter button. (Very useful for VW owners. All VW owner know that engine can't be cranked twice. Key has to be bought to off position & try again. This may be temperamental in traffic. This is where press button will comes to use also OE Switch contact points life will increase).
Note:- Unit is supplied with Relay. Relay fixing is a most.
Right switch used for Sliding door catcher opening.
Blue Toggle switch used for momentary temp sensor grounding cutoff , if ALH engine starts late. (As of now mine seems to be OK).
Extreme left, Self returning Switch is for extra pair of Horns.
Bottom ‘Double pull switch‘. Most interesting.
First pull, Extra white lamp comes on. (100w Each). Second pull Extra Lamp goes off but will be connected to Main Bulb High Beam. When High beam is switched on all four lights comes on. Go to low Beam extra lamp switches off. Push the switch all the way back to switch off the Extra lamp.

Horn location,(Bosch Chrome Grill. Been with me for 20 yr’s).

Zeitgeist 13 Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:03 am

Do you have any other pics of the front of your van? I'm particularly interested in the small round lights next to your turn signals

narendra.vw Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:23 am

Yellow ones are Rally 2000. White Hella ones came with the van OE, was fitted on the Bumper which I relocated. Size similar to Hella 500. All carry 100w each.