TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Opinion on color
rollins111 Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:13 pm

What do you guys think of this color for a 1972 resto-mod style beetle? My car is lowered with a narrowed beam. It currently has emi 8 spokes but eventually I'll run 17" rader or similar silver wheels.

I'm working on filler/block sanding now and will be ready for color later this summer. I just can't make up my mind!

Here's what my car looked like a few weeks ago after epoxy and poly primer:

Fab4Fan Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:17 pm

I like it. it looks almost like VW Polar silver.

Wetstuff Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:47 am

Looks great.. This was a $3k option on a 911, but had a 'depth' that Arctic Silver did not.. and you could say; "It's in the family". The color code is:M7Z/U2

Jim

jzjames Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:44 pm

silver. You'll blend right in with 80% of the other cars out there on the road.

Dauz Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:33 pm

On my screen, it looks more like the color on the Shelby Mustang - Eleanor

panicman Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:45 am

I think it would look great. I think it looks more graphite than silver. Chrome and stainless look great against it.

abritinthebay Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:48 pm

Grey/silver == dull, generally. Unless you've got a car with the curves to show it off (like the above Porsche) then it just looks... "meh".

IMO, obviously.

flemcadiddlehopper Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:54 am

I don't mind a grey or silver car. but for me, a single stage color on a VW just looks better and somewhat more original or vintage. Like this.

stone grey, single stage.

gordo.

L378 Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:48 am

abritinthebay wrote: Grey/silver == dull, generally. Unless you've got a car with the curves to show it off (like the above Porsche) then it just looks... "meh".

IMO, obviously.

So does a VW have the curves or not?

flemcadiddlehopper wrote: I don't mind a grey or silver car. but for me, a single stage color on a VW just looks better and somewhat more original or vintage. Like this.

stone grey, single stage.

gordo.

So are you saying polar silver isn't sufficiently vintage/original? (no guess as to single stage or not).

or this diamond green which can appear much deeper & green in certain light?

Let's not even go into strato silver let alone the ccraziest VW color ever - ultra maroon!

As to the op - paint it whatever you like, it's you ride.

flemcadiddlehopper Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:14 pm

No sorry, I don't mean it that way, it's just with colors that are more monochromatic..... ie. non-metalic, or other undertones in it, just (to me ) seem like a more period vintage color.

I like vintage cars to look vintage, just not a fan of huge depth candy colored rods, or metal flake skulls. Okay now i have fallen off the deep end.

All I am saying is it doesn't matter what color as long as you like it and can live with it and defend your choice when needed. I am by no means an M-code policeman.

Gordo.

skills@eurocarsplus Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:58 pm

that C-10 is f*cking killer. scrap the bug and drive that!

jzjames Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:24 am

L378 wrote:
So are you saying polar silver isn't sufficiently vintage/original? (no guess as to single stage or not).

Well silver on a Oval is alot different than on a '72 resto-mod, now isnt it?

L378 Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:30 am

flemcadiddlehopper wrote: No sorry, I don't mean it that way, it's just with colors that are more monochromatic..... ie. non-metalic, or other undertones in it, just (to me ) seem like a more period vintage color.

Gordo.

I get that. Metallics aren't the norm for any VW. In fact, VW had all sorts of issues with the colors I posted and ended up repainting many cars because of it and may explain why VW went over a decade before offereing metalloics again.

jzjames wrote: L378 wrote:

Well silver on a Oval is alot different than on a '72 resto-mod, now isnt it?

What's your point. I was reponding to a poster opinionating that metallics were "vintage". I understood his point, but merely pointed out that VW did offer metallic paint (for a short window of time) during oval production - which is vintage enough for me. As to a 72 resto mod well by at least 1970 VW offered a metallic silver. A few available colors for 1970 (from the paint upholstery section in the tech section) August 1970 up to July 1971, Models 113, 114, 117, 118, 151, 152
L 96 D (80) silver metallic
L 97 D (81) colorado metallic
L 96 E (86) gemini metallic

Mike Fisher Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:01 am

My buddy had a hand me down diamond green '57 in 1965 that looks like a OG metallic paint to me.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/943482.jpg