TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Patina painting techniques for wheels
Hal9000 Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:14 pm

This is a bit of a double post since I didn't think to use the paint/body forum first, but here goes....

I'm swapping wheels on my '70 bay (going to 15" T3 smoothies to clear my disc brakes), and the new wheels don't match each other or my original 14" smoothies so I need to repaint them.

First, I'm wondering if anybody has the paint code/mixing data for the stock white wheels.

Second, since I'm working to preserve the original light patina on this bus I don't want to end up with a since shiny new set of wheels. The wheels I'm taking off have some light checking/rust, and what I'd call the normal amount of scratches and chips. The bus sat for years, so the checking is concentrated on the half of the wheels that was facing up, making for an uneven finish.

Does anybody have any recommendations for duplicating the oxidized/checked/chipped/rusted finish when I repaint the new wheels? I can fiddle around and probably get something passable, but I'd really rather not waste the time experimenting since I really want to be on the road for our local 4th of July parade.

Thanks

AZ65CalBug Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:41 am

What you will want to do is paint the wheel a few colors here and there first. Maybe brown and black say..

Then paint the top coat of the color of the wheel you want. Then take 600 grit sand paper and just wet stand through the top coat getting to the black and brown colors under neath the top coat. Do it in as many spots as you want. Then clear if need be...

Hal9000 Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:18 pm

Not quite, I do want "real rust". Based what I've heard from others, and a hunch of my own to speed things up, I'm going to paint them, sand lightly, paint with brake fluid, then cover with dirt and some salt mixed in and soak.... If that doesn't turn out well, I'll reconsider my options.

But I'm not sure about the stock paint color code. But honestly, since I don't know what the results will be, I'm inclined to rattle can the wheels. Does anybody have a recommendation for a "pretty close" white rattle can paint that they've found?