TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 67 project back to original Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
compdrag Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:15 pm

Well I posted my introduction a few weeks ago about the 67 I picked, and decided to make a thread about the things I will be doing, and have done already to restore this awesome machine back to the day it came off of the show room floor.

So if you missed the first thread here is a short back story about the car.

So the car has had 3 owners before me making me the 4th. The car started out somewhere in Idaho. Where the second owner bought it from and brought it to Whidbey Island, WA. It was part of a private collection there for many years. Then the 3rd owner bought it and brought it to Port Orchard, WA.

So with that here are pictures of the car the day I bought it once I got it home.

wayne1230cars Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:20 pm

Will look forward to reading your thread. I owned two 1967 bugs, both Zenith blue.

compdrag Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:34 pm

So the base line for the car is set forth for you here is what I have done so far.

I think the eye lids on the cars is cool and since I'm not going to be dropping this thing or doing anything crazy, except for keeping it original I decided to add it.

Next after that my buddy hooked me up with a 76 antenna ball and I decided to add a racoon tail to the antenna as well.

Another great addition was a knock down rack I picked up wish it was an original, but they are sometimes hard to find, and was wanting one before https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/922895_4296421343643_837275924_n.jpg

I love my some what old looking MT plates, but wanted a pair from the period. I got very lucky and scored a pair of 67 MT plates that are even from the county I'm from for a very good price of $25 off eBay.

And last for this post the engine bay was looking pretty un original, due to the metal pre-heat tubes, and missing clamps in a few places so I went from this.

To this, all i need now is to get my short black coil. But I also have that coming my way. should be here tomorrow. so once thats here I'll post it up and show you all.

And yes I know the fuel filter needs to go , and I'm looking into where I want to place it.

compdrag Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:36 am

Well I had a minor set back yesterday not to bad just a little one. The problem could have been worse if I didn't notice it. Sucks I drove 25 miles and then noticed it.

So I left to run some errands. Before I drove the car to work I didn't see any puddles of oil under it when I left. I went to work and drove home, grabbed the kids and ran some errands. Drove home to drop off dinner in the oven before swim lessons and I see a puddle of oil in the garage. So at that point swim lessons are on hold since my wife had the other car because she was at work. Pulled her back into the garage and threw her on jack stands and this is what I found.

So after my wife got off work and we spent some time together I jumped under the car and pulled the boot off. to my suprise it was a one piece not a split like on the driver side. so this tells me it was probably the original boot

compdrag Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:18 pm

Well besides the mishap that happened here is what showed up in the mail today now to just get off work so I can install it.

jzjames Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:30 pm

Very nice '67. Hope you enjoy it for a long time.
Nice to see you enjoy it in it's original form, but honestly, I dont understand those Beetle "eyelids". (Is that what you call them?)

compdrag Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:16 pm

jzjames wrote: Very nice '67. Hope you enjoy it for a long time.
Nice to see you enjoy it in it's original form, but honestly, I dont understand those Beetle "eyelids". (Is that what you call them?)

I just like the look of them kind of makes the car look like its out and about just chilling at its own pace.

compdrag Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:18 pm

Well Finally got home and

Out with the OLD

In with the NEW

Eric&Barb Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:57 pm

Need a pair of these to seal the hoses to the rear tin.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113119571

compdrag Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:23 pm

Eric&Barb wrote: Need a pair of these to seal the hoses to the rear tin.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113119571

Yeah I ment to put it on my last WW order and spaced it next one though.

compdrag Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:59 am

Well vacation held up my progress on the boot fix, but I'm home and I got it fixed up. Got her back on the road and ready for the car show that's this weekend in Seattle.

Here is a new shot with a new vintage cooler I scored while I was on vacation.

Varnish Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:18 pm

Going to be painting my '67 wheels here soon, is the black in the middle and white outside the way they should be? Mine appear to have been all white.

Eric&Barb Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:43 pm

"Paint & Upholstery" section in the "Technical" section shows four different versions of white, but all have black inner rim.

compdrag Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:33 pm

Yep black middle like above said good luck finding the white you need I have to go to a paint shop for mine WW doesn't carry it in spray can.

compdrag Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:53 am

Well I went to a car show this weekend and scored a couple things that made the venture good.

First a got an owners manual pretty rough, but you can read every page, and I learned some good stuff by just skimming through it.

Second I scored an ad from a magazine for the car as well.

djshutup Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:58 pm

good score.

webberjames95 Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:42 pm

compdrag wrote: Well I went to a car show this weekend and scored a couple things that made the venture good.

First a got an owners manual pretty rough, but you can read every page, and I learned some good stuff by just skimming through it.

Second I scored an ad from a magazine for the car as well.

vintage vw ads. love them. so much confidence and pride

compdrag Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:18 pm

Well I have been working hard the past couple weeks getting some more stuff done on the car. I finally got my nasty dried up, holey engine seal. I put the fresh air tubes on the right way with the seals, and today I worked on getting my horn button to work and it does.

I have also been hitting up car shows to get Tink out for other people to enjoy her. Also I finally got all my paper work back for my 1967 plates so I can use them instead of regular plates.

old seal dryer out and full of holes.

New seal in and keeping all that hot air out.

Plates on back to the golden days of this car.

And last but not least here are a couple pictures from the last car show we were at last weekend.

1979westie Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:32 pm

Dude, get rid of that in-line fuel filter! Burn down waiting to happen. Only solid hose there from pump to carb...there is a screen already in the pump housing. If you want a secondary filter, do it away from the engine, like up front under the tank.

Not trying to be nasty, just would hate to see a beauty like that burn from a cracked $2 plastic filter. Beautiful car... my first ride was a '67 also. I miss it.

compdrag Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:35 pm

So I decided to tackle the next piece that was bugging me which was the running boards. The mats were discolored, and you could see rust under the mats as well.

So I pulled off the driver side board, and got the mat off.

not to much rust, but there was a problem to address so I did. Here is the back side of the mat and it cleaned up.

I was hand sanding and steel brushing at first. Then I called up the hobby shop on base to make sure no one was sand blasting. So I decided to just sand blast it instead and save myself some time.

After I got it all cleaned up I sprayed it with both of these.

let it dry got the mat back on and she looks like a beaut now. The Bleche Wite I used to clean them really took off the years which is good.