TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 67 project back to original Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Cjm005 Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:43 pm

Nice car... like the color.

compdrag Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:38 am

Shot from a car show yesterday. Hope the weather stays nice enough to get the other running board done this weekend.

compdrag Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:56 am

Well I had a friend selling his 63 bug. He had a ski rack for it, and wanted it so he sold me it with the skis for $50. So I bought it and went to mount it up and well because 67s are so great and have reverse lights I had to make a 5 inch bracket to mount it over so the skis wouldn't hit the light.

But I got her on and it looks great. Looks even better with the vintage sled I have also.

coolparts Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:55 pm

Need to get the correct fuel pump, dist.cap, wires & genarator dust shield.also correct wire connector on gen.positive wire connector.

compdrag Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:02 pm

Well after spending two saturdays sand blasting, painting, and cleaning up the mats for my running boards. They are both done and I feel like I wiped away years from the original zenith blue mats.

I would post them finished up, but its 10 pm and pictures don't really turn out in the dark lol.

Bugugly Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:42 am

Love the Zenith Blue '67. I have the same year and color. I dig the skis and rack. Those skis are easily worth $300! Nice find.

compdrag Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:39 pm

Well last night I decided to get dirty and did my first valve adjustment on her. She was a bit tight, and I couldn't get the .006 gauge in there. But I got her all loosened up and she is good for a while now.

Next plans are to start on the interior. Plan on ordering new seat covers and garnishing up the holes I put in the cargo area carpet. I had to cut the holes so I could put the straps through for car seats. I just have to find a material like what goes around the trim and then sew it in by hand.

And here's a cool picture I got in front of a store the other day.

Bugugly wrote: Love the Zenith Blue '67. I have the same year and color. I dig the skis and rack. Those skis are easily worth $300! Nice find.

Wow if the skis are worth $300 then I definetly scored, because I paid $50 for the ski rack and the skis. I did get them from a buddy though.

67 Florida Deluxe Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:26 pm

Fantastic find and mad respect for your desire to bring it back to off-the-line stock original :wink: ! I, too, had a '67 Zenith Blue bug, which had 38,000 original miles and original in every way. While I still have my '67 Lotus White bug, I sold the ZB so someone in New England. As a decided "stock nazi," I have learned a LOT about this year from a few folks on the forum - my greatest mentor being Mr. Bill May. While I don't frequent the forums like I used to, it is not an indication of a lack of passion for my favorite year bug. Peruse my gallery and also my cardomain garage. PM or email me with any questions. I am happy to help. And please replace those ugly black wiper holders with the proper SWF blade holders :wink:

-Kent

allsidius Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:35 am

compdrag wrote: jzjames wrote: Very nice '67. Hope you enjoy it for a long time.
Nice to see you enjoy it in it's original form, but honestly, I dont understand those Beetle "eyelids". (Is that what you call them?)

I just like the look of them kind of makes the car look like its out and about just chilling at its own pace.

No they don't- They just look like crap. You have staked up a path of defending these 5 dollars pieces of junk for the rest of the natural life of this really nice bug. Sorry to tell you. Otherwise; great car.

compdrag Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:07 am

allsidius wrote: compdrag wrote: jzjames wrote: Very nice '67. Hope you enjoy it for a long time.
Nice to see you enjoy it in it's original form, but honestly, I dont understand those Beetle "eyelids". (Is that what you call them?)

I just like the look of them kind of makes the car look like its out and about just chilling at its own pace.

No they don't- They just look like crap. You have staked up a path of defending these 5 dollars pieces of junk for the rest of the natural life of this really nice bug. Sorry to tell you. Otherwise; great car.

Thanks for your input. You don't like them, and thats your opinion I respect you for that. I like them so until my 67 is yours guess what they are staying. Oh and thanks for checking out my post.

compdrag Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:39 pm

Well today I got my new fuel line in and decided to move that filter out of the engine bay.

Relocated it to under the tank.

compdrag Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:24 pm

Well since I roll around with my kids a lot and they are both in front facing car seats I needed to make brackets when I bought the car so they could enjoy the bug too.

That meant I had to cut holes in the back carpet to allow the top straps to go through to get to the brackets I made. I did just cut the holes and left it, but wanted to add the touch like the holes were there when the car was made. So I got the fabric they used on the edging of the carpet and finished the holes up so now it almost looks legit.

I attached the brackets to the middle parts to the seat belts.

Here are the brackets I made. I used very thick steel, and bent it near where it bolts up to give me clearance to strap in the seat.

And here are the holes garnished up

biggene Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:41 pm

Your bug looks great man. I have a Lotus White 67 myself, and I have a Zenith Blue 67 that I bought to restore with my little boy when he gets old enough. He is only 5 now, so a couple of years to wait on that one.

bill may Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:37 am

compdrag wrote: Well after spending two saturdays sand blasting, painting, and cleaning up the mats for my running boards. They are both done and I feel like I wiped away years from the original zenith blue mats. original mats were not "zenith blue"

compdrag Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:10 am

bill may wrote: compdrag wrote: Well after spending two saturdays sand blasting, painting, and cleaning up the mats for my running boards. They are both done and I feel like I wiped away years from the original zenith blue mats. original mats were not "zenith blue"

So then what was the original color then. If the mats were an option, and the buyer added them at purchase wouldn't that make them original?

mariusstrom Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:35 pm

bill may wrote: compdrag wrote: Well after spending two saturdays sand blasting, painting, and cleaning up the mats for my running boards. They are both done and I feel like I wiped away years from the original zenith blue mats. original mats were not "zenith blue"
Got more info on that, Bill? Wolfsburg West's color chart indicates that the mats on a Zenith Blue beetle were also Zenith Blue.

compdrag Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:15 pm

mariusstrom wrote: bill may wrote: compdrag wrote: Well after spending two saturdays sand blasting, painting, and cleaning up the mats for my running boards. They are both done and I feel like I wiped away years from the original zenith blue mats. original mats were not "zenith blue"
Got more info on that, Bill? Wolfsburg West's color chart indicates that the mats on a Zenith Blue beetle were also Zenith Blue.

Thanks Marius,
Can't see how it's not original when there is a stamp and part number on them.

6Kabrio7 Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:56 pm

mariusstrom wrote: bill may wrote: compdrag wrote: Well after spending two saturdays sand blasting, painting, and cleaning up the mats for my running boards. They are both done and I feel like I wiped away years from the original zenith blue mats. original mats were not "zenith blue"
Got more info on that, Bill? Wolfsburg West's color chart indicates that the mats on a Zenith Blue beetle were also Zenith Blue. Running Board mats not the floor mats. The floor mats are gray.

compdrag Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:00 pm

My floor mats are still original and grey. My running boards are zenith blue like the paint.

6Kabrio7 Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:58 pm

compdrag wrote: My floor mats are still original and grey. My running boards are zenith blue like the paint. Ok Bill confused me I thought you guys were talking about the floor mats. Never mind.