TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Spraying clear coat over old paint
VWinVT Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:53 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone have any info or experience spraying new clearcoat over the original paint?

VWinVT Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:43 pm

I should add that I have an 81 with single stage paint

dobryan Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:50 pm

What is wrong with the original paint that you feel the need to try clear coat vs using rubbing/polishing compound and wax?

VWinVT Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:16 pm

It has alot of previous touchups and some minor surface rust I have sanded off and touched up. I had buffed and polished it and it looks better, but still alot of touchups. I can't afford to have it painted and don't want to ruin it by trying to paint it myself. I'm sure I can spray clear and give if a good shine and preserve it.

PDXWesty Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:37 pm

I'm no paint expert, but I think the whole car would have to be color sanded first to remove all surface coatings (wax,dirt, etc.) before a clear coat is applied. I also don't know what the compatability is with different types of paint.

I had a van that had a single stage paint. I just had to give it a good coat of wax once a year to keep it beautiful and shiny. Clearcoating the paint would make touch ups and repairs more complicated.

nemobuscaptain Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:12 pm

You would have to rough up the paint to get it to get the clear to stick. You're going to have to tape everything also. Why not just do it right and spray a new base? Then you know the paint will accept the clear with no reactions and will look good.

To me, it is about the same thing as dumping the old oil but keeping a used oil filter.

I also suspect that your stock paint may buff up much nicer than you think. If you don't have the equipment or skill just pay a detail guy to do it.

denwood Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:21 pm

Post up some close up pics of the paint. Color sanding and polishing is pretty amazing, as long as you have some paint thickness to work with.

block sanding, then new base and clear is the way to go if colour sanding doesn't work. All the work really is in prep and masking...spraying is only a few hours.

VWinVT Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:15 am

can you explain to me what 'color sanding' is? The OG paint is in good shape...it is all the brush touch ups from scratches etc. that tens to stand out.

insyncro Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:27 am

Since the thread was moved to body/paint....do a search it is covered really well.

nemobuscaptain Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:45 pm

Also check ouit youtube, especially Butler Collision. Plenty of good videos.