TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Pimp your panel Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Stanagon Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:21 pm

If it's got no windows on the rear sides and it's the center of attention, post it here. Please just panel buses, no former panels that are now campers, or whatever with windows.

Here is my '65 double door, walk thru panel at the World of Wheels Boston in March of 2013.
It was a hit all weekend long, with people crawling in and out of it to check it out.

What other "show" car can you just climb in and hang out with your buddies?

Stanagon Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:29 pm

Here is another.
Dan Pedro showed up at the New England Dust Off event at the Seekonk speedway in April with his recently acquired euro -'67 panel. Despite it being a mostly water-cooled show, lots of people were checking out the panel with it's 'prime time' parking spot.

rebapuck Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:30 pm

I use to drive my Deluxe to babysitting jobs. Best entertainment ever for the kids. Just let them climb in and climb out...climb in and climb out...climb in and climb out.. climb in and climb out...

rebapuck Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:32 pm

Stanagon...did you apply to enter or did Boston seek you out?

Stanagon Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:37 pm

Here's a couple of panels getting lots of attention in Florida.

Stanagon Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:46 pm

rebapuck wrote: Stanagon...did you apply to enter or did Boston seek you out?
I just filled out a regular application, sent a few photos and got accepted. I even got a plaque for Best Restored Panel Van, although I'm pretty sure I had the only restored panel van in the show.

Stanagon Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:57 pm

Ok, here is my inspiration for this thread...

My '65 dd wt panel at the New England dragway starring in a TV shoot for an upcoming Nova show, Making Things Faster, with David Pogue. This was a great time, but super hot. Here we are getting the first shot ready.

Here is David Pogue shoving a huge wooden crate into my panel bus.

Getting ready to drag race a classic MGB.

Monitor shot of low angle view.

Action shot.

They were trying to show how you can move a small amount of data (on the internet) quickly with the fast MG. However, a bus will be slower, but can move a lot more data at a reasonable speed. Something like that..., the show is supposed to air in Oct. - Nov. of 2013 on PBS.
It was a great time to see the action behind the camera and get to have my bus be a part of it. Temperatures inside the bus were 98 - 100 F. With my infrared temp gun aimed at the sticky black track surface, it read 130 F! It was also fun to see my bus driving around, which is something I rarely get to do since I'm usually behind the wheel.

Big Bill Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:10 am

Iam not sure if this is what you are asking for. While not the center of attention for a camera crew, it is the center of my attention. 63 DD/WT hopefully to be brought back to its OG Pearl White paint in the near future. I have always liked seeing your photos of your panel Stanagon,that thing really gets around. :)

GLHTurbo Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:43 am

what's the red marking on the euro panel signify?

Big Bill Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:12 am

GLHTurbo wrote: what's the red marking on the euro panel signify?

I think Italian delivery buses have those markings.??

Braukuche Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:56 am

Panels have a purity of form that anyone can enjoy.

KevinAlbrecht Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:54 am

Sorry for the crappy cell-phone pic. Here is mine this past spring.

pulling my single-wheel:

NorCalWeekender Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:19 pm

So, Stan, exactly how much data can a panel haul? ;)

BlueJayScout Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:05 pm

Going to its first car show tomorrow, wish I was driving it there under its own power.

Stanagon Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:32 pm

This is great, panels doing their thing. Shots of big cargo loads are cool too.

Stanagon Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:34 pm

NorCalRiviera wrote: So, Stan, exactly how much data can a panel haul? ;)

That crate only took up about half of the total cargo capacity. The MG had to remove it's spare tire to fit the smaller cargo box. I offered to carry their spare in the back of the bus, just in case :wink:

UZI Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:13 pm

ah yes! panels!

this one came home with me today.

this one made it home safely a few weeks ago

then there is this one

and this one:

almost forgot...

...and...

those are the only panels I own now. :D

Nie zu alt Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:34 pm

My "new to me" '57 DD Panel. I've wanted a pressed bumper panel for years and finally found one local. It might be tired, but it's not rusty. Work will start on it this winter.

BlastMasterMannyFresh Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:12 pm

once upon a time....

Stanagon Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:49 pm

CRW panel was all the rage at T'fest '10.