TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Painting over Original paint from orange to black.
Anthonyisawsome Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:02 pm

Ok So I am pretty new to painting. I have started to learn to do body work and have gotten really good, I think :D So as of right now my car is orange and is the original paint. I am pretty much a noob when it comes to painting. I want to paint my car satin black and I think im going to use that ratrod single stage paint kit. I was told the I need to leave the original orange paint and sand it down and primer it then paint it? The reason I was told that is because it was orginal paint from factory and is better then the paint nowadays. I would think it would look like crap done like that but I don't know.

volksaddict Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:06 am

If the og paint is good and solid then it's a good base, no need to remove. But Yes, it will look like crap when the black gets chipped and scratched through to the orange. That's what happens with a color change.

Anthonyisawsome Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:46 am

volksaddict wrote: If the og paint is good and solid then it's a good base, no need to remove. But Yes, it will look like crap when the black gets chipped and scratched through to the orange. That's what happens with a color change.
That's what I wanted to hear, thanks. Have you ever used the ratrod satin paint before? Is it good?

Anthonyisawsome Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:23 pm

Ohh another question. How would I paint inside the louvers on the rear window? Is there a way to sand the paint so it sticks?