TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Interior paint: Rustoleum vs epoxy primer and urethane
scrivyscriv Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:56 am

I know this is almost like religion and politics, but I have to ask.

When I got my bus, everything inside had been removed and boxed up, and the PO had sandblasted the cargo floor w/ black beauty, and never finished or primered anything. So, when I got it, I cleaned the rest of the sandblast media out of it and scrubbed, sanded and Naval Jelly'd every part of the interior up to window height. Then I sprayed and brushed Rustoleum rusty metal primer and topped it with Rustoleum white.

Now, several months later, I have a decent HVLP turbine sprayer, compressor, and spray gun. I'm going to shoot the exterior in epoxy, 2k, and urethane, but is it worth it to strip off the interior paint and re-shoot it in epoxy, too? This is a daily driver, and I want it to last and not re-rust or look super crappy after a few years.
Thanks y'all. I wouldn't even have known to ask these questions if it weren't for me lurking all over the forums here ;)

Robert in Memphis

skills@eurocarsplus Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:26 am

Depends on your goal. I personally hate the stuff. The p/o of my new bus used it and it is all blistering, so I am in the process of removing it.

Your call. I wouldn't use it on a mailbox flag

Bobnotch Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:27 am

scrivyscriv wrote: I know this is almost like religion and politics, but I have to ask.

When I got my bus, everything inside had been removed and boxed up, and the PO had sandblasted the cargo floor w/ black beauty, and never finished or primered anything. So, when I got it, I cleaned the rest of the sandblast media out of it and scrubbed, sanded and Naval Jelly'd every part of the interior up to window height. Then I sprayed and brushed Rustoleum rusty metal primer and topped it with Rustoleum white.

Now, several months later, I have a decent HVLP turbine sprayer, compressor, and spray gun. I'm going to shoot the exterior in epoxy, 2k, and urethane, but is it worth it to strip off the interior paint and re-shoot it in epoxy, too? This is a daily driver, and I want it to last and not re-rust or look super crappy after a few years.
Thanks y'all. I wouldn't even have known to ask these questions if it weren't for me lurking all over the forums here ;)

Robert in Memphis

Are you seeing any rust forming with the rustoleum in place? If not, I'd scuff it, and leave it in place, then put some epoxy on it along with your urethane, and call it good to go.
I do know that PPG's DP series epoxy primers can be applied over most older paints and primers, and since this will be on the inside, it'll have less chance of being exposed to salt or water and dirt combo's like the outside will get.
Only IF you're seeing rust or rust bubbles forming on the inside would I strip the old finish off. Otherwise, I'd leave it for protection, and just seal it up with auto paint.

SoCalJes Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:01 am

The problem is in thinking "I cant see anything bubbling up today so it is solid and I'm going to invest in this unknown foundation even further". Who knows if what your looking at is unprimed rattle can paint sprayed over old paint floating on top a bed of rust. Just saying that personally I don't trust anything anybody has done previously considering what I have seen. :shock:

Strip it, prep, prime and paint! You will never go wrong with this method, EVER!