TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Type III tar boards Page: 1, 2  Next
meta Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:24 pm

Type III
Say that to most parts places and they all say GO AWAY!
Well I still need tar boards and carpet underpadding.
What were tar baords made of? Is there some modern equivalent?
Can tar board material be ordered? JC Whitney has some stuff but it is only 1/16 inch thick. Can Carpet underpadding be gotten on the roll? [/b]

vwfanatic67 Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:03 am

use dynomat and get some carpet padding from west coast metric

EverettB Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:18 pm

http://www.mcmaster-carr.com has some similar stuff.

Malokin Martin Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:52 pm

Sorry to bring an old one up to the top. I'm looking for tar board or something similar for the floor of a 1972 square.

Not really into the dynamat idea (don't want adhesive).
Couldn't find it on the mcmaster site.
ISP doesn't carry it.
I couldn't find it on the classifieds here (wrong search wording?)

Any more thoughts? Something that's the correct thickness would be great.

raygreenwood Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:15 pm

Malokin Martin wrote: Sorry to bring an old one up to the top. I'm looking for tar board or something similar for the floor of a 1972 square.

ISP doesn't carry it.

Uh....the original tarboard is adhesive as hell.
Ray

Malokin Martin Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:25 pm

raygreenwood wrote: Malokin Martin wrote: Sorry to bring an old one up to the top. I'm looking for tar board or something similar for the floor of a 1972 square.

ISP doesn't carry it.

Ray

Maybe after 40 years its become less so. It's obviously sticky/tacky, but not like dynamat would be. Anyone else have any ideas?

Erik G Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:39 pm

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-882BL/Anti-F...lsrc=aw.ds maybe??

the original was very much like dynomat/fatmat etc, if not even more adhesive

raygreenwood Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:43 pm

Malokin Martin wrote: raygreenwood wrote: Malokin Martin wrote: Sorry to bring an old one up to the top. I'm looking for tar board or something similar for the floor of a 1972 square.

ISP doesn't carry it.

Ray

Maybe after 40 years its become less so. It's obviously sticky/tacky, but not like dynamat would be. Anyone else have any ideas?

Actually....yeah...it was as tacky as dynamat when new. Most i have found require an air chisel to remove.

But.....if you want something a little less tacky that is almost the same consistency......i jave been thinking of trying stacked layers of 1/8 roofing tarboards.

Stack them up apply a little heat with a heat gun and weight them down until cool....5hen cut to shape with a jig saw and a fine panel blade. You whould be able to make virtually exact replicas. Ray

Mike Fisher Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:48 pm

Cotton rag padding that will evaporate any moisture you happen to get on the floorboards. I have it under the carpets on the pans too. One of my parts cars had cut to size anti-fatigue type rubber mats in place that totally rusted out the pans/deck! :evil:

Tram Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:49 pm

raygreenwood wrote: Malokin Martin wrote: raygreenwood wrote: Malokin Martin wrote: Sorry to bring an old one up to the top. I'm looking for tar board or something similar for the floor of a 1972 square.

ISP doesn't carry it.

Ray

Actually....yeah...it was as tacky as dynamat when new. Most i have found require an air chisel to remove.

But.....if you want something a little less tacky that is almost the same consistency......i jave been thinking of trying stacked layers of 1/8 roofing tarboards.

Stack them up apply a little heat with a heat gun and weight them down until cool....5hen cut to shape with a jig saw and a fine panel blade. You whould be able to make virtually exact replicas. Ray

They're adhesive so that water can't get under them (in theory). And yeah, you basically need an air chisel to get it out if it stuck!

raygreenwood Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:36 pm

Tram wrote: raygreenwood wrote: Malokin Martin wrote: raygreenwood wrote: Malokin Martin wrote: Sorry to bring an old one up to the top. I'm looking for tar board or something similar for the floor of a 1972 square.

ISP doesn't carry it.

Ray

They're adhesive so that water can't get under them (in theory). And yeah, you basically need an air chisel to get it out if it stuck!

Which is kind of what i figured. Which isxwhy i am,wondering why you would want anythkng that does not seal to the floor....granted...maybe not that hard.....but it has to seal down or its going to get wet underneath. Ray

notchboy Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:28 pm

The equivalent is dya mat. The original stuff is two pieces of tar board with foam in the middle. The foam is water absorbent and causes problems long term. Its place on the pan for noise deadening reasons more than anything. Today's equivalent is thinner and better. :wink:

raygreenwood Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:35 pm

notchboy wrote: The equivalent is dya mat. The original stuff is two pieces of tar board with foam in the middle. The foam is water absorbent and causes problems long term. Its place on the pan for noise deadening reasons more than anything. Today's equivalent is thinner and better. :wink:

I can buy that...althougb oddly...the tarboards in the 411 and 412 have no foam.....but are laminates. Ray

Bobnotch Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:39 pm

notchboy wrote: The equivalent is dya mat. The original stuff is two pieces of tar board with foam in the middle. The foam is water absorbent and causes problems long term. Its place on the pan for noise deadening reasons more than anything. Today's equivalent is thinner and better. :wink:

Yeah, but unless you add some thickness above the dynamat, the carpet won't fit correctly.
I've used closed cell foam (from McMaster Carr) before, and it works great for killing sound, and doesn't absorb water. It's used in HVAC applications. It's a little more expensive, but it does give you an alternative.
I won't use cloth padding only (like Mike suggested), as it WILL hold water, and cause rust. I see it all the time with domestic vehicles here in the "salt belt".

chickenoodle Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:44 pm

Does the type 3 only have the 1 strip of "tar mat" down each side of the Ttunnel?
Allot of people seem to suggest http://www.amazon.com/Cofair-Products-QR625-Aluminium-Quick/dp/B001N87K7O for sound proofing, but I assume that wouldn't be thick enough to get the carpet to fit properly.

notchboy Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:23 am

Bobnotch wrote: notchboy wrote: The equivalent is dya mat. The original stuff is two pieces of tar board with foam in the middle. The foam is water absorbent and causes problems long term. Its place on the pan for noise deadening reasons more than anything. Today's equivalent is thinner and better. :wink:

Yeah, but unless you add some thickness above the dynamat, the carpet won't fit correctly.
I've used closed cell foam (from McMaster Carr) before, and it works great for killing sound, and doesn't absorb water. It's used in HVAC applications. It's a little more expensive, but it does give you an alternative.
I won't use cloth padding only (like Mike suggested), as it WILL hold water, and cause rust. I see it all the time with domestic vehicles here in the "salt belt".

If you put strips between the rows of raised bumps then a sheet over that it will compensate and make a more flat surface that allows the carpet to lay better.

Last pan I think I messed with that had tarboard was a 71. It was layered tar - foam and sticks out in my mind.

notchboy Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:26 am

Oh wow here is that pan - notice the right side? See the white patch of exposed foam?

Malokin Martin Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:57 am

raygreenwood wrote: Which is kind of what i figured. Which isxwhy i am,wondering why you would want anythkng that does not seal to the floor....granted...maybe not that hard.....but it has to seal down or its going to get wet underneath. Ray

I like the ability to take everything out and really clean once in a while. As I mentioned above, the adhesive isn't as strong as it used to be, so mine come out relatively easily. I'm looking for another replacement option that doesn't glue to the floor permanently. I get the sense that you're not ok with this. That's unfortunate.

notchboy wrote: Last pan I think I messed with that had tarboard was a 71. It was layered tar - foam and sticks out in my mind.

Thats the stuff i've got. Thanks for the PM by the way!

Bobnotch wrote:

That sounds about right. link?

I appreciate the other advice from folks above. Thanks for all the feedback!

supersuk Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:15 pm

You could try acoustic mass loaded vinyl. That stuff is pretty thick and will absorb sound energy. Its used a lot in luxury vehicles and sound competition vehicles.

Bobnotch Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:42 pm

Malokin Martin wrote: Bobnotch wrote:

That sounds about right. link?

I appreciate the other advice from folks above. Thanks for all the feedback!

Not a direct link, but using the McMaster Carr link provided above, you could do a search for "closed cell foam".
My son uses it in his Roadster, as it's exposed to the elements.