TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Front 1/4 floor pan, final splice?
MK5GOLFGTI Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:46 am

Getting into final stages of this job and the question I have is, what method have people used to cut the floor pan behind the 4th bolt on the outer edge for final removal of that section so as not to ruin heater channel.

And do you tack the 1/4 floor pan at that point to the original floor pan or just seam seal it up.

Strength wise I don't htink it would matter as you have the 4 bolts still holding from 1/4 pan pan on that edge.

Mike Fisher Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:55 am

I take out all the bolts and force/wedge the outer lip down 1-2", so I can Sawzall the pan out without touching the heater channel. It should be butt welded in as much as you can reach.

MK5GOLFGTI Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:42 am

That sounds like a good way to do it. I was hoping to avoid removing the other bolts figuring I got "lucky" on the front four but I'll bite the bullet if I have to, glad you even understood what I was asking.

I am still hemming and hawing about where to make final cut on back edge of 1/4 pan. I have the center big triangular seat mount on a 77. I have solid metal for about an inch from the front of that mount.

My replacement panel is long enough I could underlay that whole seat mount area. Yes not ideal but I would then have nice solid metal.

Or I thought about cutting it such that the back edge of the panel would rest on top of the little lip that comes offf that seat mount and is welded to the pan. I could do little tack welds essentially tying into that seat mount as well.

I have been up many nights thinking about this knwoing that none of them are concourse ready but that's not my goal, just a solid sealed piece.