TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: removing a 73 super beetle headlight switch
brosjd Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:38 pm

I'm replacing my headlight switch, but first I was wondering what the easiest way was to remove the existing one.

I would prefer not to take off the dash :?

Tim Donahoe Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:21 pm

I'm assuming you have the big dash, with a black or fake wood-grain panel that is located just under your speedometer--like in my 1974 SB.

You don't remove your dash, you remove the switch panel, just under the dash. It's easy.

Take off your battery ground strap.

There are five screws, holding the switch-panel on. One screw is directly below your speedometer housing. It may have a plug that matches your panel color. Remove the plug. Then remove the screw and its little spacer. Don't drop this little screw or spacer on your column--the space between the column and the dash, that is (put a towel there to catch if it drops).

Go to either side of the panel and you will see and end strip for each side. VERY carefully get a very thin screwdriver under the bottom of the first end strip and pry--gently. It may take a while, but you'll get it off

Do the same for the other side strip.

You have just uncovered two screws on either end--so, four screws, total. Take them and their spacers out.

Carefully lift the instrument panel out. I had to kind of walk mine out.

Pull it out just enough to gain access to the switches and their press tabs. These tabs lock the switch into the grooves at the top and bottom of the instrument housing. Press the top and bottom tab (yes, there's a bottom tab, too) at the same time and pull the switch toward the front of the car.

Pay VERY close attention to where the wire connections go on the back of your switch. Write it down--colors and all.

Unhook the wires by their connections and hook up your new switch.

Put the new switch back in the instrument housing and make sure you press the tabs down again and that they lock into their grooves as you push the switch back into place. Be sure to push on the front of the switch to make sure the switch tabs have locked into place before re-attaching the switch plate.

Squinch the switch plate (instrument housing) back into place and put the screws and their spacers back. Don't overtighten them.

Before you put the little end strips back in, apply a smidge of dielectric grease onto the nibs that lock the strips on. This will make it easier to remove the strips in the future.

Put the plug (if you had one) back into the center screw hole.

Replace your ground strap at the battery and wrangle your rear seat back in.

All done!

Tim

brosjd Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:13 am

Thanks!

Hopefully this is the limit of my electrical issues